Advertisements
radio replacement

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2014, 01:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default radio replacement

Good Evening all
First post so please be gentle,i have just bought an 02 plate cruiser for the other half but i think i might be spending more time in it than her,my question is about radios ours doesn't work due to the fact that the on off switch has failed,i assume you wont be able to buy a new switch so i have been looking on e bay for a replacement unit,the part number is p56038585am do i need to buy a replacement with the same part number or will other types fit,i live in the uk and i was also wondering if a us spec radio will work over,
any help gratefully recieved,thanks.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 01:44 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: radio replacement

I believe that any OEM unit from a 1st gen Cruiser will fit, and 2006-2010 will not fit.

I replaced stock unit with one CD player with OEM unit with 6-disc changer - direct fit - no problem. Both units were 1st gen. 2005.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 02:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for your fast reply very helpful,
Old 13 Apr 2014, 04:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I believe the 2002 PT uses the older style 2001 stereo harness plugs. If you use a Chrysler stereo head newer than 2002, you may need an adapter.

You likely will not need the antenna adapter, but you may need the harness adapter. The change happened after 2001 for the Jeep, But I believe it was after 2002 for the PT. Here's a good photo:

harrym and randyincctx like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Apr 2014 at 08:49 pm.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 06:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: radio replacement

Just a suggestion,if you'd like the save a few $....Check any local salvage yards(Pull-A-Part,or similar),and you'll at least save the cost of shipping,and if for some reason it's not functioning when installed....You don't have to pay to ship it back to 'Kalamazoo' or B.F.E.(Bumb-F*#@-Egypt!lol),just drive accross town or even down the street....J/S
harrym likes this.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 08:47 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
Thank you for your fast reply very helpful,
I was wrong - thanks to Handycruiser, you got a better answer.

Harry

2005 Touring n/a - Cool Vanilla with J&J vertical billet grille, PTeazer tail lights, Chrome wheels and Baby Moons.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 10:03 am
Senior Cruiser

I'm not sure what other Chry Co marks were/are sold in the UK but the same radio/tape/CD/GPS were used in all the Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge vehicles up to 2005 so don't limit your search to just PT Cruisers. It should make your hunt for a replacement unit easier. Six or eight years ago it was easy to pick up a fresh one on eBay because owners who "upgraded" to aftermarket units would dump the stockers on eBay for cheap. I'll bet there are many of them that are still being listed every week. I've upgraded from base units to 6-disk units three times in the past that way. The removal and installation is quite simple. If you happen to have an owner's manual, you can check to see the different types that were used, for example: RBQ was one type.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 10:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Handy is right on the 02 plug on the back. Not sure what the harness would cost you because of shipping. But Chrysler did use these radios in there complete line up. If it looks like yours then you just need to know the plug configuration.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 15 Apr 2014, 11:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Many thanks to all of you that took the time to reply,it's been a great help,
Old 15 Apr 2014, 07:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: radio replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyincctx View Post
Just a suggestion,if you'd like the save a few $....Check any local salvage yards(Pull-A-Part,or similar),and you'll at least save the cost of shipping,and if for some reason it's not functioning when installed....You don't have to pay to ship it back to 'Kalamazoo' or B.F.E.(Bumb-F*#@-Egypt!lol),just drive accross town or even down the street....J/S
Actually,since your in the UK;I should have used the more correct term 'Breaking Yard'...
But,since you are in the UK....I should also refer you to Tony @
http://www.streetcruiser.co.uk/
He does in-home 'breaking' and has alot of PT parts for sale(may be even close to your location?),and his site is loaded tons of cool UK PT Cruiser stuff & info on it!

Last edited by randyincctx; 15 Apr 2014 at 07:57 pm.