Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The RIGHT iPod Adapter for Chrysler RB1 Nav Stereo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2014, 07:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default The RIGHT iPod Adapter for Chrysler RB1 Nav Stereo

I had an ipod/Aux adapter that worked great with my previous RBK Chrysler stereo. But when I installed the high-end RB1 Nav stereo, the adapter still worked but often messed up and would not let me change the volume unless I spun the knob very fast. And the screen would periodically flash. On other rare occasions, it worked okay but there was no way to control the iPod from the stereo.

I hunted the web for an adapter that was compatible with the RB1, but the only one that was sure to work with the Mopar iPod integration kit. And these run about $200 to $400 online. Finally, I found a forum where a member indicated that the PAC iSimple PXDP adapter with PXHCH3 would work.

I was skeptical since some folks assume that any adapter with the square ten-pin cable plug will work on any Chrysler stereo with a square ten-pin cable port and a "mode" or CD changer button. And that is definitely NOT the case.

Plus, the good folks at PAC said the adapter would not work either. But they based that solely on the fact that the RB1 has no "mode" button. And they knew nothing about the cd changer button on the RB1 and RB4 that is the same thing as the mode button according to Chrysler.

So I took a gamble and ordered the iSimple PXDP and PXHCH3 for a cool $75 on eBay. Not that cheap. But the gamble paid off. It works great. And I can even change songs and albums on my iPod using the controls on the stereo. The songs are not listed on the screen as they might be with the Mopar integration kit, but at about a 3rd the price, this iSimple adapter is a great solution.

If you order one of these, be sure to order the PXDP for iPod and not the PXDX for mp3. I found no indication the mp3 version would work. And it's easy to just a put an adapter cable on the end of the iPod connect and use a standard 1/8-inch jack for a mp3 player or cell phone. That works great on mine. Also, you will need to set dip-switches #4 and #8 to the on position when you install this adapter. Leave the others off.

PS: I haven't tried the iPod controls yet with a newer iPod or iPhone 5 with the "Lightning" connector. It may work fine with an adapter, but I don't know that for sure.
Old 03 Jul 2014, 02:09 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: The RIGHT iPod Adapter for Chrysler RB1 Nav Stereo

Im looking for an adapter as well for the same radio in my vert. Does it charge your ipod/iphone? So far any pros/cons you can report on.

Thanks.