Advertisements
Splicing the antenna wire.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2014, 04:51 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Splicing the antenna wire.

A while back, I got a Dual with blue tooth since my original deck stopped playing CDs. AM went down in quality, but a few weeks ago both AM and FM were lost. I was moving, plus had a car accident in my other car, so I didn't have time to look into it.

My friend, however, found the problem when getting in the other day. Apparently, the antenna cable fell in the door jam and cut the wire right in half.

So, before I go trying to snake a whole new wire through the car, anybody know how to splice an antenna wire?
Old 24 Jul 2014, 06:20 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Splicing the antenna wire.

You could use a pair of 75 ohm cable TV F connector ends and a barrel connector. The cable F connectors crimp on so you might need a tool to do that. I have used the cheap crimpers that come with those wireing kits with a zillion wire ends in them and had pretty good success.

Or maybe something like this

F Type Female Jack DVD HDTV Connector Adapter for RG6 RG59 Cable | eBay
Old 24 Jul 2014, 07:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Splicing the antenna wire.

I've repaired them before several times.

You can solder the center copper wires together. Then cut a long narrow 1/8 strip of black electrical tape and wrap it around the copper wire until even with the clear plastic insulation. Then pull the two sides of the steel braid outer shielding together until they overlap. Then brush-solder all the way around assuring many connections between the two sides. At this point, I usually take a three inch section of rubber fuel hose and split it open and put it over my splice. This will help insulate and also make the spliced area more rigid so it does not flex and break the soldered connections. Then I wrap black electrical tape over that.

As long and the splice is in a place that does not need to flex or move, this is usually a durable permanent fix with no detectable loss of signal.

However, a better option is to replace the broken section of the antenna cable. On 1st Gen PT's and possibly 2nd Gen's too, the cable coming off the antenna is only about 2 feet long. It plugs into another cable in the dash behind the panel just to the right of the glove box. This makes the antenna easy to change out because the section of cable running from right of the glove box to the radio is bound up in the dash wiring harness and is almost impossible to remove without removing the dash. But if replacing that section, just leave the old one in place and run new. If your brake is between he glove box and the antenna, just replace the antenna base with the two foot of cable permanently attached to it.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 Jul 2014 at 07:32 am.