Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Great Find Today - Complete Satellite Module w/ Harness & The Rest

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2014, 03:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking The Handy Satellite Radio Upgrade!

Yep,

I had to take off early today for a doctor's appointment. But I had time to swing by a salvage yard I don't visit too often. All they had were two 2002 PT base models, one in white and one in purple. Not much "pickens" there. But then I spied a 2005 Pacifica with the telltale satellite antenna on top. I popped the hatch and there was the satellite module in the bin below the cargo area right where it should be and the stereo head was still in place up front. I realized I was looking at a COMPLETE non-CANBUS Mopar satellite setup. And of course, for some pocket change and 30 minutes of my time it was all mine.

I got everything from the stereo head back; the multiplexer, the harness, the module, the antenna and all associated hardware. To the best of my knowledge, this should all be plug and play with my 2005 RB1 stereo head. But I am open to suggestions on how to mount it. Where should I put the module and where should the antenna go? The one thing I do know is that this baby is going to have to be 100% functional with no loss of functionality elsewhere before I drill a hole in my roof.

Your suggestions are appreciate.

lenwood likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 31 Jul 2014 at 07:06 pm.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 08:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Great Find Today - Complete Satellite Module w/ Harness & The Rest

Really nice find! I would like to have one of those too. I never remember to look for the Sirius stuff when I am salvage hunting.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 08:31 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Great Find Today - Complete Satellite Module w/ Harness & The Rest

I have the navigation system on my 2005. It works off of a CD inserted in the radio. I've tried it out a few times, and although it's based on roads and structures as of 2005 it's quite reliable. Not withstanding on the navigator, when I leave my apartment complex that was built in 2010, I begin the journey in a Florida swamp. So if you to are using one based on America in 2005, keep you eyes open or you might get your feet wet. I understand there are updated disks, but for the most part I use my Tom Tom. ptprice
Old 29 Jul 2014, 06:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default The Handy Satellite Radio Upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
I have the navigation system on my 2005. It works off of a CD inserted in the radio. I've tried it out a few times, and although it's based on roads and structures as of 2005 it's quite reliable. Not withstanding on the navigator, when I leave my apartment complex that was built in 2010, I begin the journey in a Florida swamp. So if you to are using one based on America in 2005, keep you eyes open or you might get your feet wet. I understand there are updated disks, but for the most part I use my Tom Tom. ptprice
I have an original 2005 Nav disc but I also have the 2011 version. However, the Nav on my phone is much better anyway. There still lots of other great features on the RB1, though.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 31 Jul 2014 at 07:07 pm.
Old 29 Jul 2014, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

UPDATE:

Today I am testing out the satellite setup on my PT. This is just a test with nothing installed.

First, I fabricated one of my patented "stereo work stations" so the stereo head could rest comfortably with the cables hooked up.

Then it was a matter of plugging the satellite module harness into the 10-pin accessory port on the back of the stereo head. Then the 10-pin plug from the MP3 adapter gets plugged into the the extra port on the multiplexer. This will allow the stereo head to operate multiple accessories. In this case, that is the satellite receiver and the MP3 adapter.

Then with the RB1 stereo head in SAT mode, I hit the "Cancel" button by the lower left selector knob three times. Then the ESN number of the satellite module comes up.

Then I used that ESN number to register for two months of free Sirius satellite service on line.

And now I'm just waiting on the activation signal from Sirius. I'll post further updates later.
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 29 Jul 2014, 06:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

And hey, the satellite radio works like a charm!

rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 29 Jul 2014, 06:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well. That was easy. So I guess I've got time to work on the installation. Let's git her done.

Yep. It's not going to work like this for sure. And yes, Busa. I do still need to refinish my back bumper.

First I had to figure out where to put the multiplexer. With the 2001 to 2002 stereo adapter, antenna adapter, Mopar sub tie-in/relay and mp3 adapter, it's pretty tight behind my stereo head. So I found a place inside the brace between the stereo and glove box that seems to fit the multiplexer like a glove. You can kind of see it here.

The mp3 adapter fits nicely above the AC controls. There's plenty of room and it doesn't interfere with the controls.

From there, the satellite harness runs behind the glove box and below the right kick panels.

I decided to mount the satellite receiver module itself behind the right rear kick panel. I made a simple bracket to fix it in place. There's more unused room behind that kick panel than you might think.

I left the antenna just sitting on the cargo tray for now. I want to look at some options that don't include drilling a hole in my PT's roof if I can avoid it. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Now it's time to do a little cruising while listening to the "Pulse".

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 31 Jul 2014 at 07:07 pm.
Old 29 Jul 2014, 08:18 pm
Banned

At least you post current pictures handy dandy

Oh and I was looking at your rear bumper lol
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 29 Jul 2014, 09:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

For my cruise listening to the "Pulse", I decided to do things right and see how good the signal was with the antenna on the inside. So I quickly fashioned a makeshift base so the antenna would standup straight. Then my wife and I went for a romantic drive.

The "Romance" is hot but very fast when your almost fifty and have been with your sweetie for thirty five of those years.

The antenna actually works okay unless we drive down into a valley. It's not a perfect solution, but it gives me more options.

PS: Note that I don't seem to get any on-screen info like I do on the regular radio stations. According to the RB1 manual, the satellite feed should be showing me the the station and possibly the song title in text. I don't know if this is some kind of incompatibility issue with this satellite module and RB1, if you don't get the text data with the "free" 2-month Sirius prescription, or if the Pacifica module just doesn't provide text data. I will have to research that one and let you know. But having the channel numbers and some great sounding music to listen to is enough for what little I paid. So I'm still very happy.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 31 Jul 2014 at 07:08 pm.
Old 30 Jul 2014, 05:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

UPDATE:

I listened to Sirius satellite radio all the way to work and back today. Having the antenna inside actually works pretty good. I only lost signal ever once in a while. Next, I'm going to try some different locations inside the car.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 31 Jul 2014 at 07:08 pm.