PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine makes a sound when turning off the engine.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By bieleb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Oct 2014, 02:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine makes a sound when turning off the engine.

My PT Cruiser 2003 non turbo has been for some time always making a sound like a small jet engine winding down after you turn off the engine. Not a loud sound you have to stand by the engine to here it. What could this be? Car runs good with no problem. Any help on this I would appreciate.
Thank you
Old 25 Oct 2014, 03:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine makes a sound when turning off the engine.

Radiator fan maybe blower motor?

LOL

Is it possible for you to do a video with sound and post it?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 25 Oct 2014, 04:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Radiator fan maybe blower motor?

LOL

Is it possible for you to do a video with sound and post it?
Radiator fan would make the right noise, but radiator fan shouldn't ALWAYS come on....
Do you have A/C or defrost on all the time?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Oct 2014, 02:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

This may be the radiator fan that I replace with a new one not to long ago. I think that this may be were the noise is coming that you pointed out. Will check on this. If this noise is coming from the radiator fan is this normal? Thank you all for the help on this problem.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 09:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
My PT Cruiser 2003 non turbo has been for some time always making a sound like a small jet engine winding down after you turn off the engine. Not a loud sound you have to stand by the engine to here it. What could this be? Car runs good with no problem. Any help on this I would appreciate.
Thank you
My 2001 Limited did this. When ever I turned the engine off I could then hear the radiator fan winding down. It wasn't loud but it was very noticeable. I got used to it and just figured that was supposed to happen. The fan never gave a moment of trouble and that PT always ran cool with no signs of ever overheating that I could find. My 2005 GT may do the same thing. But if it does, it's not loud enough for me to notice.
Leroy likes this.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 10:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Most electric cooling fans are noisy. They move large volumes of air to cool the engine. You will hear this noise most predominately when the fan spools up when you are stopped at a traffic light. As long as it is working and cooling the engine I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 11 Apr 2015, 01:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My 2003 pt cruiser GT/turbo had the same problem with the radiator fan always running and intermittently spinning at different speeds (audibly noticeable). It had been like that for almost a year. I was going to change the fan in the spring but recently got a check engine light calling out the #2 sparkplug misfire (engine was also running rough). Found the #2 spark plug was burned (ceramic and electrode). Car ran better after plug was replaced but still did not run that smooth. Replaced the #2 spark plug wire and everything smoothed out.
And... all of a sudden, the radiator fan started working correctly. I am thinking the PCM was sensing some type of overheating from the overheated spark plug, thus sending intermittent signals to the radiator fan to turn on. BTW, when I took out my ohm meter to see how much resistance was in that bad spark plug wire, it appeared to have infinite resistance (on the 20 meg ohm setting it still did not register). I have not seen anyone ever mention this as a possibility on any forums. Maybe someone else could confirm my suspicions that the overheating sparkplug was causing the PCM to spin the radiator fan intermittently all the time???
Old 12 Apr 2015, 03:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bieleb View Post
My 2003 pt cruiser GT/turbo had the same problem with the radiator fan always running and intermittently spinning at different speeds (audibly noticeable). It had been like that for almost a year. I was going to change the fan in the spring but recently got a check engine light calling out the #2 sparkplug misfire (engine was also running rough). Found the #2 spark plug was burned (ceramic and electrode). Car ran better after plug was replaced but still did not run that smooth. Replaced the #2 spark plug wire and everything smoothed out.
And... all of a sudden, the radiator fan started working correctly. I am thinking the PCM was sensing some type of overheating from the overheated spark plug, thus sending intermittent signals to the radiator fan to turn on. BTW, when I took out my ohm meter to see how much resistance was in that bad spark plug wire, it appeared to have infinite resistance (on the 20 meg ohm setting it still did not register). I have not seen anyone ever mention this as a possibility on any forums. Maybe someone else could confirm my suspicions that the overheating sparkplug was causing the PCM to spin the radiator fan intermittently all the time???
I hope that all spark plugs and spark plug wires were replaced? Usually when I replace a bad spark plug I automatically replace all spark plugs as if one is bad chances are the rest of them are getting bad also. When I replaced the plugs I also replace all the wires to keep from having to remove the upper intake manifold twice.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 12 Apr 2015 at 05:42 pm.
Old 12 Apr 2015, 08:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi Steve,
Yes, all the spark plugs were replaced but only replaced the 1 wire so far.
Have the other 3 wires, just haven't gotten around to swapping them yet.
I actually did not remove the upper intake manifold. Using a 3/8 inch ratchet, extension and swivel attachment gave me access to the 2 plugs that are partially obstructed. I believe I will be able to get to those remaining wires w/o tinkering with the intake manifold. Thanks for the reminder on replacing those other wires!