Advertisements
iPod Aux Input Mystery! Advice Needed

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Oct 2014, 09:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default iPod Aux Input Mystery! Advice Needed

I have found something very strange.

I have an Axxess AIP-CRO1-ID iPod auxiliary input adapter that I used in my 2001 Limited before I installed the RB1 stereo head. I am planning to use it with a multiplexer with my 2005 GT stock stereo head which is a RAZ.

Before trying to install the multiplexer (that allows for both satellite and aux input), I plugged the aux input adapter directly into the 10-pin port on the back of the RAZ stereo head. To my surprise, the RAZ did not detect it. So I grabbed a spare RBK stereo head that used to be in my 2001 Limited and used to be hooked to this same aux adapter. Again, the aux adapter was not detected.

I took the old RBK stereo head and the aux adapter inside to a work bench and hooked the stereo head to a spare harness plug soldered to a 12 volt power supply. The stereo head came on and acted normally. Then I plugged in the aux adapter and it worked perfectly. I tried this again in my GT, no joy. I then took the RAZ stereo head to the work bench and it worked fine with the aux adapter. I tried the RAZ back in the GT, and again no joy.

This is very strange. The aux adapter plugs directly into the stereo head and not the car's wiring harness. So whatever is different between the work bench and the car has to be in the car's harness plug that goes directly into the stereo head. Somehow, that has to be affecting communication between the stereo head and the aux adapter.

The only thing I can figure is that both the 10-pin accessory port and the harness plug port both have a pin for a J1850 PCI bus. I wonder if something in the car is communicating with the stereo head through the PCI bus pin in the harness plug port and that is somehow interfering with communication through the PCI bus pin in the 10-pin accessory port. For all I know both of these pins may be to the same PCI bus and something in the car is overriding the signal.

While not indicated on any wiring diagram I have, I wonder if the PCI bus wire from the satellite receiver is routed to the harness plug rather than the 10-pin accessory plug. If both pins access the same PCI bus in the stereo head, this would mean that no matter what is plugged into the accessory port, the stereo head will still be communicating with the satellite and thus would not work. It's just a theory.

If this is the case, I should be able to cut the PCI bus wire running to the stereo head harness plug. Then anything plugged into the accessory port should function normally. But I just hate cutting wires in a car's harness. And even if this works, I then have to risk rerouting that cut wire from the satellite receiver into the accessory port so the satellite receiver will work.

If anybody has any experience with this, I would sure like to hear from you before I begin playing with these bus wires.

Pinouts for ports on Chrysler stereo heads

Wiring diagram for a CD charger that show PCI bus going to harness port rather than accessory port. Could this be hardwired in this way for my satellite receiver even though not shown on wiring diagrams?

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 02 Nov 2014 at 10:01 am.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 01:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: iPod Aux Input Mystery! Advice Needed

Well,

I clipped the PCI bus wire on the harness plug, and nearly everything went to work. The satellite receiver works perfectly so whatever was pulling signal on that PCI bus was not coming from the satellite receiver.

Now I have only one issue to figure out. With both satellite receiver and aux adapter plugged into the multiplexer, the satellite works fine. But there is no audio from the aux adapter even though I can see information from it on the stereo head screen. But when I unplug the satellite receiver from the multiplexer, the audio from the aux adapter comes through great. The multiplexer is switching power and PCI bus data automatically as it should controlled from the stereo head. But the actual audio is not switching. It seems to be staying on the satellite receiver. This tells me that I may have gotten a wire wrong in the harness I made for the multiplexer. Right now, something from the satellite receiver is likely keeping the audio triggered in the multiplexer. It has to be since the multiplexer switches the audio fine if the satellite is not plugged in.

So it's back to the wiring diagrams. I suspect that what's happened is that I've added an extra wire that is not connected in the original harness. I believe it may be the audio mux enable wire. But I'm not sure.

Back to work.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 31 Oct 2014 at 01:06 pm.
Old 01 Nov 2014, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Victory!

The problem was the audio mux enable wire as I suspected. It needed to be routed to pin #9 on the 10-pin plug coming from the satellite receiver. Now it all works perfectly. Job is complete.

I will post more about this in my GT project thread. If I have time, I'll post a wiring diagram of how to make this all work together.

If you find this thread sometime in the future and are trying to figure how to add an iPod or mp3 aux input to a stock 1st Gen PT stereo system that already has satellite radio that you want to keep, please contact me and I will give you some pointers on how to do it.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 02 Nov 2014 at 09:58 am.
Old 06 Nov 2014, 08:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to partyd

I built this piece last year using your same idea.
This is a dual auxiliary input adapter, only works if you have the external CD changer or the factory Sirius radio, and it's also compatible with newer vehicles with the factory DVD player, I use it on 2002 to 2010 vehicles and it always works.
The idea is to stop the audio from the factory source and input 2 more audio signals.
It works great and you don't lose anything from the factory radio now I have more audio sources

The single brown wire, was ground reference to be used only if there was any ground noise.

2008 Chrysler Pacifica awd

Last edited by partyd; 07 Nov 2014 at 12:19 pm.
Old 06 Nov 2014, 08:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I can't see...pics are a little too small

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 06 Nov 2014, 08:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Reload your page, I just fix them
Old 07 Nov 2014, 09:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyd View Post
I built this piece last year using your same idea.
This is a dual auxiliary input adapter, only works if you have the external CD changer or the factory Sirius radio, and it's also compatible with newer vehicles with the factory DVD player, I use it on 2002 to 2010 vehicles and it always works.
The idea is to stop the audio from the factory source and input 2 more audio signals.
It works great and you don't lose anything from the factory radio now I have more audio sources
Very nice!

While I got my multiplexer working just as a I wanted, adding something like this might give the option for even another accessory. Plus, it is difficult to find the right multiplexer. Basically, you have to go the salvage yard and be ready to remove the stereo and inspect behind it in every Chrysler on the lot.

If you have a wiring diagram and specs on the adapter, I'd love to see it.

Also, here's the demonstration of my stereo system with multiplexer:

Old 07 Nov 2014, 12:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

That is correct finding the splitter/Multiplexer It's not easy (5066202AC)
So I decided not to use one, the black box holds an electronic circuit board with 3 stereo preamp chips one without any gains to let the audio from the Sirius or the changer pass to the radio, I can stop this audio and play source 2 and 3, my diagrams are hand made in paper and not easy to understand I will upload pictures from the circuit board later

Also this way I didn't have to cut any cables, this is plug and play and takes power from the Sirius or CD changer

AM, FM, CD, Sirius, iPhone, aux/Bluetooth
All plug at the same time. to different sources
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by partyd; 07 Nov 2014 at 12:15 pm.
Old 07 Nov 2014, 12:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyd View Post

Also this way I didn't have to cut any cables......
Yep.

I made mine the same way. Where did you get the female 10-pin plug? Mine came from a $12 2nd Gen Aux adapter.

Old 07 Nov 2014, 02:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

China, I got them finish with heavy gauge cable and open audio cables
but it cost me, I was force to buy 150 pieces to make it my way