PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Key in igntion alarm keeps going off

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Nov 2014, 06:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Key in igntion alarm keeps going off

We have a 2006 Pt cruiser GT and since we had the ignition fixed by Chrysler due to actuator problem. a few months after that we have encountered a new problem the "Key in Ignition" alarm and warning keep going off when the key is not in the ignition. has anyone had this problem before and if so what is the fix. i have done lots of searches on the internet but have not found a solution. also the remote lock isn't working either.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 07:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Key in igntion alarm keeps going off

When you have a chance introduce yourself to the forum and say a few details about the PT Cruiser.

Key in ignition alarm keeps going off?
Alarm and warning keep going off when the key is not in the ignition?

Which one is it? Alarm keeps going off when the key is in the ignition?

Or does the alarm just keep going when you take the key out and you have to take the battery cable off to stop the alarm?
Old 15 Nov 2014, 08:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

the alarm goes off whether the key is in the ignition or not. it only stops when you turn key to on or close the door
Old 15 Nov 2014, 08:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezacide View Post
the alarm goes off whether the key is in the ignition or not. it only stops when you turn key to on or close the door
After you turn the key on, does the alarm stay off after you turn the key back off? Does the alarm start immediately once the key is off? Or does the alarm not start again until the next time you open the door?

Do you unlock the doors using the remote or do you use a key?

Also, is the alarm just the horn sounding or does it have another sound coming from somewhere else?

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Nov 2014 at 08:50 pm.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 09:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry seem to have caused some confusion, it not the car alarm but the warning alarm inside the car the "ding ding ding" we have to use the key to unlock the car as the remote doesn't work due to this issue. i have put a new battery in just before the issue arose. once you turn the key the warning alarm stops also if you close the door the warning alarm stops
Old 15 Nov 2014, 10:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would suggest checking the ignition switch actuator. The actuator has a pin that is for the warning ding when the key is left in the ignition or the lights are left on. It also disables the door locks from locking when the key is still in the ignition.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 15 Nov 2014, 11:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry seem to have caused some confusion, it not the car alarm but the warning alarm inside the car the "ding ding ding" we have to use the key to unlock the car as the remote doesn't work due to this issue. i have put a new battery in just before the issue arose. once you turn the key the warning alarm stops also if you close the door the warning alarm stops
Old 15 Nov 2014, 11:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I would suggest checking the ignition switch actuator. The actuator has a pin that is for the warning ding when the key is left in the ignition or the lights are left on. It also disables the door locks from locking when the key is still in the ignition.
I am suggesting that in simple terms the computer in your PT Cruiser is saying that you forgot to take the key of the ignition switch (even though you did) and this is why it doesn't allow you to lock the doors.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
+1 Yes. That's the way it's made on a 1st Gen PT. It may be the same on the 2nd Gen PT too. I would take ptcruisersteve's advice and check that first. It's easy to get to.

If not solved by this afternoon, I will find my spare PT steering column and post some photos if that little actuator is still there.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 11:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If members are not experence with 2nd generation PT Cruisers especially with the electronics they really should be very very carefull any advice they give! Don't assume or compare between the two generations.
You could end up to be helpful in a bad way !

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Tags
ignition problems, key remote lock