PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Installation of Mopar sub

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2014, 11:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Installation of Mopar sub

Got one of the Mopar subs off ebay. Hooking it up to an aftermarket Sony Radio in a 2002 Cruiser Limited. Using RCA jacks for the install and then have 3 wires to connect (Constant Power / Ignition Power / and Ground). Question I have is in regards to the Power w/ ignition wire. I've tried to connect into the power harness, just back from the harness a bit and at the fuse box with the Radio Fuse. All of these choices have blown the 30AMP box Ignition fuse under the hood immediately. Anyone have any suggestions on what to connect to for this wire.
Thanks
Old 01 Jan 2015, 08:33 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Installation of Mopar sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyriemedic View Post
Got one of the Mopar subs off ebay. Hooking it up to an aftermarket Sony Radio in a 2002 Cruiser Limited. Using RCA jacks for the install and then have 3 wires to connect (Constant Power / Ignition Power / and Ground). Question I have is in regards to the Power w/ ignition wire. I've tried to connect into the power harness, just back from the harness a bit and at the fuse box with the Radio Fuse. All of these choices have blown the 30AMP box Ignition fuse under the hood immediately. Anyone have any suggestions on what to connect to for this wire.
Thanks
in my experience with these types of radio issues, you need to use a heavier gauge ground wire. i have not done one of the mopar subs either. just what i have seen with other installs.

2005 Purple Pt Touring 130k Still Running Strong

New timing belt and water pump at 130k.
Old 01 Jan 2015, 11:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I would highly recomend to check all the AMPs wireing. You have a short.
A 30amp fuse is very large Circuit and under normal use it would be hard to exceed the circut . With no load during connection and it popping is an indication of a circuit problem.
GrapeApe likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 01 Jan 2015, 02:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I am suggesting you might want to check and see how many amps your Mopar Sub is using. Make sure as NitroPT says that you don't have a short somewhere drawing excessive current. Check to make sure the polarity is correct. Then find out how many amps you are currently using on your 30 AMP box Ignition circuit. Keep in mind that these electrical circuits in the PT Cruisers are not designed to handle more aftermarket electronic components drawing heavy current.
Old 01 Jan 2015, 05:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

When I hooked mine up I used the amp wire coming from my aftermarket stereo for the switched power, and pulled power from the cigarette lighter/power port down below for the main power. The mopar sub is only 80 watts so it doesn't put much of a load on the system.
Old 01 Jan 2015, 05:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep.

I've installed two of these. Both were to OEM stereo heads. But the 80 watt amplifier pulls less than 7 amps max by itself. This is why most can hook them into the upper power outlet circuit with no issues as described in the instructions. And that is where the continuous power should come from for the OP's too.

Because the Mopar sub comes with a relay, the power comes from the continuous power source. The ignition power is just to serve as a trigger from the relay. IF properly connected, you can just tap the ignition source for the stereo head. Don't use the power antenna wire coming off the stereo head unless you know everything is right first. It could fry your stereo.

If you are blowing fuses as described, there is a high probability that something is not wired correctly. Make sure you are connecting the correct color wire to the correct power source. Accidentally connecting the ground wire to continuous power would blow fuses just as described if the unit is incidentally grounded through the mounting brackets or common speaker ground.

PS: I believe that Cass, the guy that sells these on eBay, does the mod himself for the RCA inputs. I could be wrong but if that's the case, there is always the outside chance that something was connected wrong. If you bought yours from Cass and cannot figure it out, you might contact him. He's a good guy and will likely give you some guidance.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 01 Jan 2015 at 06:09 pm.
Old 01 Jan 2015, 06:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyriemedic View Post
All of these choices have blown the 30AMP box Ignition fuse under the hood immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Dockrey View Post
When I hooked mine up I used the amp wire coming from my aftermarket stereo for the switched power, and pulled power from the cigarette lighter/power port down below for the main power. The mopar sub is only 80 watts so it doesn't put much of a load on the system.
^^Great solution and suggestion for the power lead connection but the inlaying problem is that the fuse should NOT blow (if amp is off) when simply connected to a power supply source no mater what the circuit is power rated at. As indicated on the first post.
Now he may better qualify the original post and say that when he turns the Radio on which also activates the Amp it blows the fuse?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 01 Jan 2015, 06:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
^^Great solution and suggestion for the power lead connection but the inlaying problem is that the fuse should NOT blow (if amp is off) when simply connected to a power supply source no mater what the circuit is power rated at. As indicated on the first post.
Now he may better qualify the original post and say that when he turns the Radio on which also activates the Amp it blows the fuse?
Something is shorting to ground somewere.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 01 Jan 2015, 06:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Something is shorting to ground somewhere.
I must be using the wrong words..have I not ''nicely" been saying this?

Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 01 Jan 2015, 06:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I must be using the wrong words..have I not ''nicely" been saying this?

Ya, you been pussy foot'n around this all day! I just couldn't stand the suspense any longer.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com