PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Auxiliary & Sirius in an RBQ equipped GT?

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Feb 2015, 08:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Auxiliary & Sirius in an RBQ equipped GT?

I' be been searching the forums and Google for days now, and have come to the conclusion I have few or no options to add, or replace my existing RBQ 6 disc head unit mounted in our 2003 GT. There is a great RBK head unit professionally refurbed with an included aux input on the face. However, this unit is said to work with just about any Chrysler vehicle's head unit with one exception, the RBQ? The sellers offering these state downgrading from an RBQ 6 disc changer will produce undesirable effects including no sound, intermittent power, wandering stations, etc.
Having researched extensively, I have not found one solution. No radio swap, no aux harness, I'm thinking my only option is to purchase an after market head unit, if this is an option?
I hope someone has a simple answer I have missed, but I will not be holding my breath. I will however pray.😇 Thanks for any light you can shed on this seemingly complicated conundrum I find myself in.

FYI, 2003 GT wagon with all the accoutrements most if not every GT had, and of course, that darn upgraded RBQ head unit! Uhg!
Old 22 Feb 2015, 09:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Auxiliary & Sirius in an RBQ equipped GT?

"Handy_Cruiser" should be able to help you out with this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 23 Feb 2015, 08:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hey PTTuber,

Things aren't as bad as you think.

First, I think you may have a misconception of what a Chrysler "stereo head" is. It's just an entire car radio just like back in the olden days. It's not a controller "head" with a separate radio receiver. So when you replace the stereo head, you will be replacing the whole thing except any accessories you have like a satellite radio receiver or external CD changer. So when you pull out the RBQ, you can stick in any other "oval-faced" Chrysler stereo as long as it is 2002 or newer.

Here's the issue with RBQ. Since it came with an internal CD changer, it usually does not have the programming to recognize an external CD changer. And most aux mp3 input adapters mimic a Mopar external CD changer. So most aux input adapter makers will report that the adapter will not work with the RBQ. But I've found online that this is not always true. Chrysler had multiple companies make their stereo heads and they are not all the same.

If you like staying with OEM Chrysler stereo equipment like I do, you have to first figure out what you really want to do. Almost all of the oval-faced stereo heads that have a "Mode" button are made to accept one of two accessories through the small rectangular port on the back. These two are either a satellite radio receiver or an external CD changer. The RBQ is supposed to just accept the satellite radio receiver. So if you just want to add an OEM satellite receiver, the RBQ should work. If you want to add an aux input adapter, you may need to go to another stereo head. And if you want to have both like I do, you will likely need another stereo head and an OEM multiplexer.

I'm not sure how those modified RBK heads work that have the aux input hardwired into it. You may or may not be able to add a satellite radio receiver to them. I don't know. But I do know that they should work fine as a replacement for you RBQ.

Here's some good reading on how I configured the OEM stereos in my 2001 Limited and my 2005 GT:

Great Find Today - Complete Satellite Module w/ Harness & The Rest

The Handy 2005 GT Modification and Upgrade Thread

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 23 Feb 2015 at 08:44 am.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 06:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, I knew the head units where all inclusive, but the statement made by an eBay seller about problems downgrading from an RBQ to an RBK, and the seemingly unavailable aux input harness has me confused. Logically, like you, I can't see a reason why any plug/face compatible unit wouldn't work.
I left a message for the seller, and will ask these questions before buying, and post the answers. (If he calls back) I wonder if the problem lay with the design of the modified aux input, and not the radio perse.
I had a few more important questions before swapping radios. My PT has 6 speakers and I assume all radios from the period will work with this setup, but have to ask, never assume. I assume/think the dash speakers/tweets are simply wired inline with the door speakets. 😁
Also, is there a difference in power output between units? I should number these to make it simple.
1. Will all compatible head units work with a stock 6 speaker setup?
2. Is there an output power/wattage difference between head units?
3. Do any of the radios need to be programmed to work?
4. Are the RBK, digital or slider versions, internally, satellite capable with the Mopar receiver?
5. Any opinion or preference which head unit to swap in?

A lot of questions, sorry about this, but I'm in the dark after reading for three days. I find an answer, and another answer contradicts it! The need for a dealer to code the radio, different answers. Aux harness, contradictions? Anyway, thanks for any, and all input, I can use it.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 07:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTuber View Post
Yes, I knew the head units where all inclusive, but the statement made by an eBay seller about problems downgrading from an RBQ to an RBK, and the seemingly unavailable aux input harness has me confused. Logically, like you, I can't see a reason why any plug/face compatible unit wouldn't work.
I left a message for the seller, and will ask these questions before buying, and post the answers. (If he calls back) I wonder if the problem lay with the design of the modified aux input, and not the radio perse.
I had a few more important questions before swapping radios. My PT has 6 speakers and I assume all radios from the period will work with this setup, but have to ask, never assume. I assume/think the dash speakers/tweets are simply wired inline with the door speakets....Yes 😁
Also, is there a difference in power output between units? I should number these to make it simple.
4. Are the RBK, digital or slider versions, internally, satellite capable with the Mopar receiver?

A lot of questions, sorry about this, but I'm in the dark after reading for three days. I find an answer, and another answer contradicts it! The need for a dealer to code the radio, different answers. Aux harness, contradictions? Anyway, thanks for any, and all input, I can use it.
1: Yes
3: No

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 24 Feb 2015, 12:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Yes.......

Quote:
Yes, but it likely will not matter that much. There were no "high" watt output oval face models that I know of. But some had an external amp for that. I've never seen one like that on PT Cruiser though. And I've looked.
Quote:
No. None of this type seem to have anti-theft features. They all seem to work fine with US radio stations.

Quote:
If they have the "Mode" button, they should work. Like I said before, they were made by different companies and can vary a little in features. But those with the Mode button should be good to go. I've experimented with several of the mechanical slide types, but not the digital slide version.

Quote:
Yes, the CD/Cassette model like came in my 2005 GT. While the cassette is old school and useless, this particular model seem to be the most compatible with the accessories and the RDS works perfectly. The RBK are numerous and seem work well but they don't have RDS. And while the RB1 is very cool, it's not compatible with most aux imput adapters and the RDS will not function except with a special shielded harness that's very hard to find.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 24 Feb 2015 at 12:07 am.
Old 05 Mar 2015, 07:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to partyd

This is the interface I use in my GT, This part only works if you have the Sirius tuner, with the interface you can add 2 auxiliary inputs and keep the satellite Radio.

Chrysler Dodge jeep factory radio auxiliary audio input jack
2008 Chrysler Pacifica awd
Old 18 Mar 2015, 11:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Yes, the CD/Cassette model like came in my 2005 GT. While the cassette is old school and useless, this particular model seem to be the most compatible with the accessories and the RDS works perfectly. The RBK are numerous and seem work well but they don't have RDS. And while the RB1 is very cool, it's not compatible with most aux imput adapters and the RDS will not function except with a special shielded harness that's very hard to find.
I have a 2005 dream cruiser with the RBQ/Boston/Infinity system... Are there any other head units that will work with that system? I tried the CD/cassette unit (can't remember the model number) that was originally in my 2003 limited and it didn't work (DIDNT turn on the amp). I would like to downgrade the head unit so I can then put an iPod interface/Bluetooth/aux on it.

2003 Limited
In its natural habitat.

2005 Dream Cruiser
2003 PT Cruiser Limited
2010 Town and Country Limited
1992 Fifth Avenue

It appears we have a bit of a Chrysler fetish in this house...
Old 19 Mar 2015, 07:42 am
Banned

I found this on Amazon that says it works with the RBQ unit. I added something similar to my PT a couple years ago to the standard RAQ unit to add an aux adaptor:

Amazon.com : USA Spec Pa11-chr 1998-2006 Chrysler/dodge/jeep Ipod/iphone Interface + Aux Input : Vehicle Audio Video Accessories And Parts : Car Electronics

Then I purchased this on Amazon to add the bluetooth function, which feeds through the aux adaptor:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes it's two adaptors, but it eventually gets you to be able to play the music on a smartphone and phone calls through the stock stereo.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 19 Mar 2015, 09:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUS1C4U View Post
I have a 2005 dream cruiser with the RBQ/Boston/Infinity system... Are there any other head units that will work with that system? I tried the CD/cassette unit (can't remember the model number) that was originally in my 2003 limited and it didn't work (DIDNT turn on the amp). I would like to downgrade the head unit so I can then put an iPod interface/Bluetooth/aux on it.
I've never seen one like that with the OEM amp powering all six speakers. The RBQ does not have pre-amp outputs. So I figure that amp likely takes line level inputs. This issue you are having may be that the RBQ has an extra wire that powers the amp or at least triggers a relay that powers the amp. You might look at the wiring diagram for your system and locate the wire that powers the amp or triggers a relay. If it triggers a relay, you can likely connect it to the power antenna wire coming out of the replacement head unit. If the amp is powered directly, you may have to connect it directly to a power source or install an aftermarket relay.

And in saying this, I'm assuming that the replacement head works otherwise. It should, but I'm just depending on your description.

Here's a link to some wiring diagrams. These are actually pretty good:

http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...96b43f802e2a59

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 19 Mar 2015 at 09:47 am.