PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What size are the front speakers

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 May 2015, 08:10 am
Young Cruiser

Default What size are the front speakers

I have a 2005 cruiser and I am trying to find replacement door speakers and I am getting different sizes so I thought I would try the experts here. Does anyone have any recommendations too? I want this to be simple so I do not wish to alter the hole in any way. Thanks
Old 08 May 2015, 09:21 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: What size are the front speakers

I have some nice replacement speakers you can get for $35 shipped to you if you might be interested. I can send you pictures of them if you would like. The stock size is 6 1/2 but you can go oversize to 6 3/4. I have stock or Bose replacements.

Bubba

2004 Limited Edition Platinum Series Dark Graphite Metallic Clearcoat Turbolight A/T
Old 08 May 2015, 09:36 am
Young Cruiser

Yeah i want something other than stock something with a little kick to it.
Old 08 May 2015, 10:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyinboxers View Post
The original "premium" door speakers in the 2001/2002 PT's are great. The later ones, not so much so.

Here's the difference:

For me, "upgrading" to the older speakers in the doors did the trick. With the Mopar subwoofer, I love my OEM system.
myckee likes this.
Old 08 May 2015, 10:15 am
Young Cruiser

I would love a stock system but not sure the radios are all the same
Old 08 May 2015, 10:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyinboxers View Post
If you stay with the factory head unit try to find speakers with a low nominal rating. Otherwise the amp will not be able to drive the speakers well and sound quality will diminish.
Bigger magnets don't mean better speakers if the magnet is low quality.

Shop for speakers that meets the type of music you listen to. If you don't understand what this means look into what the sound frequency are that relates to what you listen to. Then compare the specification of the speakers and see if the best frequency range is in the area of the music you most listen to.

Unfortunately the location of the factory speakers is not the best for the highest quality sound. A friend as well a few custom stereo shops have done "pink noise" testing a PT Cruiser and the factory speaker locations sucks. To low and to many sound walls disturbing the imagery. LOL

For the best and accurate information about stereo equipment try this site.

It will also give suggestions for option speaker sizes.

Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV

Then go to ebay and buy them. lol

Here is my current PT Cruiser stereo project.
GT Double Din and stereo system upgrade

I have been building auto stereo systems since around the mid 70's. Here is my 1982 in 82 which had 36 speakers . Eric Burdon once sat in my Camaro as I played his song House of the Rising Sun and said he couldn't believe the sound. He may have been "high" at the time though?? LOL

3rcruiser and belkster74 like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 08 May 2015 at 11:35 am.
Old 08 May 2015, 11:13 am
Senior Cruiser

I too "upgraded" my 03 to the older 01-02 oem "Premium" front speakers, and the sound is much improved.

On a whim, I bought a set of Mopar (Kicker) 77KICK10 speakers available from your local dealer or ebay. I haven't tested them yet, but they look nice and the price was decent too:

77KICK10 Dodge Jeep Chrysler Kicker Upgrade Speakers Mopar Rear Door 6 5" 04 13 | eBay

There is a cheaper ebay vendor HERE, whom I bought my speakers from, but the first link shows nice high def pics of the speakers.
Old 08 May 2015, 02:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
I too "upgraded" my 03 to the older 01-02 oem "Premium" front speakers, and the sound is much improved.

On a whim, I bought a set of Mopar (Kicker) 77KICK10 speakers available from your local dealer or ebay. I haven't tested them yet, but they look nice and the price was decent too:

77KICK10 Dodge Jeep Chrysler Kicker Upgrade Speakers Mopar Rear Door 6 5" 04 13 | eBay

There is a cheaper ebay vendor HERE, whom I bought my speakers from, but the first link shows nice high def pics of the speakers.
Hey, I think I saw a set of these in a Sebring Platinum Edition this morning at the salvage yard. I'm off today from my main gig and have finished bidding a little side air sampling project. So I may just go back and see if that's what they really are.

myckee likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 08 May 2015 at 02:58 pm.
Old 08 Jun 2015, 11:10 am
Fanatic Cruiser

My son has an 03 GT, I have two Dreams 02 and 03.
We recently changed all the speakers in the cars from to premium speakers from 2001. The GT and 02 Dream had non-premium speakers, my 03 Dream had Premium speakers. What a difference the 01 Premiums made in all three cars!
In about two hours we replaced all six speakers in three cars and BAM we had far superior sound than before.
This is a great modification for any post 01 PT Cruiser. Note: the premium door and rear speakers from 2001 all have a "Audio Latino" stamp above the part number and "Premium" stamp below the part numbers. The premium dash speakers have a round cloth cover showing through the dash cover grilles, the lower quality ones have a oval cloth cover.
Later premium speakers do not have the Audio Latino stamp but do say premium BUT they are not the ones you want.
Isn't it odd that on PTs most upgrades are retrofitting parts from the first and second year of production?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer; 12 Jun 2015 at 11:02 pm.
Old 08 Jun 2015, 04:37 pm
Banned

These speakers are still available new, there are numerous ads on Ebay for them and they can make a huge difference

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-CHRYSL...f12a5d&vxp=mtr