PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Cruiser 3rd Party Stereo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2015, 06:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Cruiser 3rd Party Stereo

Hi guys

I've just got my UK 2001 PT Cruiser and the original stereo was a bit naff to be honest, the radio wasn't very good at finding or keeping a radio station and the CD player would only play CD's when it felt like it, so I decided to fit my Sony Xplode mp3 player into the car. I bought the Fascia plate and wiring kit off Ebay and proceeded to take the old stereo out, found a link off here on how to do it, but once I'd got the stereo out, I noticed that there was what seemed to be an earth connector (I'm presuming this as its a black wire connected to metal on back of stereo) and a connector with a purple wire which were plugged into it.

Now the wiring kit I purchased off Ebay had an Earth wire which I connected to the back of my Sony stereo along with the black earth wire from the car, so now I'm left with purple wire which I have no idea what its for.... So my first question is does anyone know what this wire is for?

The Sony stereo seems to work OK with the wiring kit I got off Ebay without the purple wire fitted, although I will say initially I can't seem to get any radio stations at all now, but that doesn't worry me too much as I've got the MP3 player, but it would be nice to work out why!!

Edit: Sorted the radio, must've have slightly pulled the antenna lead out while trying to push all the other wires in behind the stereo as I was fitting it lol

Now onto my second question..... With the original stereo in it, when I turned the ignition off and took the key out, the stereo used to turn off but after a few seconds used to come back on again so I had to manually push the volume button back in to turn it off, I don't know why this was, but now I've fitted my Sony its on all the time, is there any way to get it to go off when I turn ignition off???

Thanks in advance

John

Last edited by MadCobbler; 11 Jun 2015 at 07:15 am.