PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
CD works great, but radio does not work at all

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2015, 01:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default CD works great, but radio does not work at all

Have a 2003 PT. Inserting a CD results in beautiful sound from the speakers, both front and rear.

Tuning into Any radio station just gives me a crackling noise. There is an antenna, so wondering what the problem is here.

Where should I start first? I have an ad up to sell this car and I want it working without dumping a lot of money into it. I followed the instructions from the owner's manual.

Thank you!
Old 09 Jul 2015, 03:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: CD works great, but radio does not work at all

What do you see on the display? Can you see the radio stations when in FM? And what do you see when a CD is playing?

If you can see the radio stations on the display, try the Search button and see if it goes the next station or if it just continuously searches.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 09 Jul 2015 at 03:39 pm.
Old 09 Jul 2015, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: CD works great, but radio does not work at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
What do you see on the display? Can you see the radio stations when in FM? And what do you see when a CD is playing?

If you can see the radio stations on the display, try the Search button and see if it goes the next station or if it just continuously searches.
I tried bringing my laptop out there, but lost a signal, too far range from my router.

When I put in a CD, it just shows Disc and it starts playing. I can change tracks and all that.

I do not have a Search Button, but I have a Seek button, so when I click on that, it just continuously searches.

Should we look at the fuses?

Should we disconnect the negative terminal from the battery? Bill here disconnected the battery to clean up all the corrosion on the battery terminals. And NOW the car is starting a little bit rough. I told him to buy a brand new battery. His favorite auto parts store told him that there's nothing wrong with the original battery (although it had huge amounts of corrosion on it) and said to just charge it. Bill has a battery charger. He left it on for several hours. But now, the car has a bit of a starting problem. If I have to, I will buy a brand new battery for this car in order to sell it.

The battery shows that it was manufactured in 2010.

We have the car up for sell for $1750 but that's probably asking too much money. We need to have everything working and detail the car. I spent 5 hours yesterday vacuuming because previous owners had kids and had sticky stuff in places inside the car.

Fuses? Battery? Antenna? What else?
Old 09 Jul 2015, 04:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Have you ever removed the stereo?

Maybe the cable for the antenna that plugs into the rear of the radio is loose. It requires a bit of force to insert it all the way but you won't hurt anything if you try it.
LionPT likes this.
Old 09 Jul 2015, 04:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
Have you ever removed the stereo?

Maybe the cable for the antenna that plugs into the rear of the radio is loose. It requires a bit of force to insert it all the way but you won't hurt anything if you try it.
Can you please show an image of the antenna that plugs into the rear of the radio that might be loose? We are mechanically challenged here.

Thank you!
Old 09 Jul 2015, 04:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

It'll be the plug on the top left corner -

I don't believe what I pictured is the exact radio but every radio will have a harness for speakers/etc. and a separate one for the antenna.

Edit: I should ask; how long have you had the car? Was the radio working at all since you've owned it? If it did, what have you guys changed recently?
Old 09 Jul 2015, 04:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:

I don't believe what I pictured is the exact radio but every radio will have a harness for speakers/etc. and a separate one for the antenna.

Edit: I should ask; how long have you had the car? Was the radio working at all since you've owned it? If it did, what have you guys changed recently?
how do we get the stereo out, there is no quick release.
Old 09 Jul 2015, 04:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Only owned it three days now. We were too busy trying to get it to start than figuring out the stereo. We got it running by changing the spark plugs. Have another thread on this forum and I can't remember the name of the thread right now. That's when I was asking about how to get it started, etc.
Old 09 Jul 2015, 04:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:

I believe I replied to your questions after you edited your reply to me. He's out there trying to take a wheel off! He's 82 years old and trying to get to the antenna. Is there not an easier way? He usually works on his 1929 Model A or his 1955 T-bird. We are not used to all these safety devices that lock us in and can't get out after driving 15 mph. Yeah, we can open the door by the handle, but what if I am unconcious.? Sorry for getting into too many issues (especially paying $120 for a clone key).

Focus....radio. Antenna, how do we pull it out or get to the back like you pictured it?
Old 09 Jul 2015, 04:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaCruiser View Post
how do we get the stereo out, there is no quick release.
01-05 Center Dash/Console Removal

this should get you going on the stereo removal.