Advertisements
No power to aftermarket or stock radio

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LionPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2015, 01:09 am
Cool Cruiser

Default No power to aftermarket or stock radio

I was installing my double din head unit using the bracket from amazon. I connected the wire harness from crutchfirld and it worked fine. I then disconnected and began to shave down the space for the double djn head unit to fit. But now when connected, the radio will not turn on. I repeat, it worked before... And not anymore. I didn't change any of the wiring. Fuse #15 is not blown... I think...

Everything else works. Ac, lights power doors. Just not the aftermarket radio through the radio harness or the stock radio through the stock connections.

Do I need a multi meter? On and by the way, for those who have done it, how did you particularly shave or cut enough space to fit a double din head unit? Mine is not clean St all. My battery died today. I got it tested and said it was low. I just got s new one. I tested both radios again and neither worked. Still no idea what to do to listen to music!
Old 25 Aug 2015, 05:50 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: No power to aftermarket or stock radio

Look at fuse #20
Gkon likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 25 Aug 2015, 03:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Tldr. That worked.

Went to lunch, opened fuse box and saw it was blown. I'm ecstatic because I originally thought I ruined the security system or fried the head unit. Connected everything again and replaced the fuse... Everything worked perfectly! I now have an extra USB charging port, aux in (I broke mine on stock head unit) hd radio, bluetooth,... Just thinking I should have splurged an extra $400 for navigation... I'll just upgrade my phone instead and use those dash attachments instead.

What caused it to blow a fuse? An exposed wire from the wire harness? Does each end need to go into a crimp if it is unused?
Old 25 Aug 2015, 03:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfred View Post
Tldr. That worked.

Went to lunch, opened fuse box and saw it was blown. I'm ecstatic because I originally thought I ruined the security system or fried the head unit. Connected everything again and replaced the fuse... Everything worked perfectly! I now have an extra USB charging port, aux in (I broke mine on stock head unit) hd radio, bluetooth,... Just thinking I should have splurged an extra $400 for navigation... I'll just upgrade my phone instead and use those dash attachments instead.

What caused it to blow a fuse? An exposed wire from the wire harness? Does each end need to go into a crimp if it is unused?
Don't know what caused it to blow...and yes, either crimp or tape them up.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 25 Aug 2015, 04:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Tldr. That worked.

If you were installing the radio without having disconnected the battery, you likely shorted live wire out and blew the fuse.
I'm only guessing, but seems likely.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 02:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkon View Post
If you were installing the radio without having disconnected the battery, you likely shorted live wire out and blew the fuse.
I'm only guessing, but seems likely.

That makes sense as well. I was moving the wires around while kry was in the ignition and sometimes not. One of the power wires is live and uncapped (no crimp attached, open wire. Just never had the rubber stripped so I'm sure it made contact to a metal surface.

Now to make another thread asking how to upgrade my speakers.

Again, thanks everybody! Still need to clean the trim job so it looks cleaner inside though nobody will ever see it.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 03:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
That makes sense as well. I was moving the wires around while kry was in the ignition and sometimes not. One of the power wires is live and uncapped (no crimp attached, open wire. Just never had the rubber stripped so I'm sure it made contact to a metal surface.

Now to make another thread asking how to upgrade my speakers.

Again, thanks everybody! Still need to clean the trim job so it looks cleaner inside though nobody will ever see it.
Do a search in the Sound ANd Security portion of the forum. There's plenty to read there.