PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How much power do my speakers need? (Front and subwoofer)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2015, 03:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default How much power do my speakers need? (Front and subwoofer)

I'm looking to replace front door and dash speakers possibly with Alpine SPR-60C.

Currently I have
Aftermarket head unit, 22w RMS, 50w peak.
10" alpine type s
Rockford fosgate 360 amplifier (90w RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms)
Stock speakers and wiring (except for subwoofer and the amount that goes to it.)

I feel my subwoofer is underpowered now that the speakers are getting more power. Can I use the Rockford fosgate amp only for the front components (will it be enough?) Leave the rears running off stock power from head unit, then buy a new amplifier solely for the subwoofer.

My questions:
1. Is it okay to use a 90x2 rms amp only for front components? I had it installed at a shop... Any tips on how to or where to run the wires?
2. Which amplifier should j get for my 10" alpine type s subwoofer?
3. Can I get by without upgrading rear speakers? I never carry passengers.
4. What is the point and should I run new dedicated wires for any of the speakers? It is currently being run through stock wires.

5. Lastly I will b putting poly fill in every door. Any tips there? Is it just like any other pillow stuffing? Just put it in there until no more fits?

Alpine SPR-60C
Old 26 Aug 2015, 03:38 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: How much power do my speakers need? (Front and subwoofer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfred View Post
I'm looking to replace front door and dash speakers possibly with Alpine SPR-60C.

Currently I have
Aftermarket head unit, 22w RMS, 50w peak.
10" alpine type s
Rockford fosgate 360 amplifier (90w RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms)
Stock speakers and wiring (except for subwoofer and the amount that goes to it.)

I feel my subwoofer is underpowered now that the speakers are getting more power. Can I use the Rockford fosgate amp only for the front components (will it be enough?) Leave the rears running off stock power from head unit, then buy a new amplifier solely for the subwoofer.

My questions:
1. Is it okay to use a 90x2 rms amp only for front components? I had it installed at a shop... Any tips on how to or where to run the wires?
2. Which amplifier should j get for my 10" alpine type s subwoofer?
3. Can I get by without upgrading rear speakers? I never carry passengers.
4. What is the point and should I run new dedicated wires for any of the speakers? It is currently being run through stock wires.

5. Lastly I will b putting poly fill in every door. Any tips there? Is it just like any other pillow stuffing? Just put it in there until no more fits?

Alpine SPR-60C
for question #2, i'd use something like this: JX500/1D - Car Audio - Amplifiers - JX - JL Audio because it's a good brand and it's rated @ 2 Ω 500 W RMS x 1

that is assuming you have a Alpine SWS-10D4 and not one of the cheaper versions of the same speaker

can't be much help with the component amps/speakers. they always seemed loud/clear to me without an amp. i always stuck only powering the subs, usually with JL or Xtant amps.

Last edited by rob342; 26 Aug 2015 at 03:44 pm.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 04:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
for question #2, i'd use something like this: JX500/1D - Car Audio - Amplifiers - JX - JL Audio because it's a good brand and it's rated @ 2 Ω 500 W RMS x 1

that is assuming you have a Alpine SWS-10D4 and not one of the cheaper versions of the same speaker

can't be much help with the component amps/speakers. they always seemed loud/clear to me without an amp. i always stuck only powering the subs, usually with JL or Xtant amps.
I bought the subwoofer used. Is there any way I can find out which model it is and find the perfect amp to match?

Since the other 90x2 amp is already installed, will it power the subwoofer fine by simply using the same connections and wiring the new amp? I wanted to upgrade the subwoofer amp and thought I may as well use the smp I already have for the fronts. Stocks are decently clear but at loud volumes, they lose their clarity.
Old 26 Aug 2015, 04:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

There should be model info on the back of the sub. You can usually tell by looks as well.

on another note i re-read your original post. i would not put polyfill in the doors. when it rains you will have water run in there via the window sills and the wet polyfill will help make it rust faster.

Last edited by rob342; 26 Aug 2015 at 05:57 pm.
Old 29 Aug 2015, 01:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
There should be model info on the back of the sub. You can usually tell by looks as well.

on another note i re-read your original post. i would not put polyfill in the doors. when it rains you will have water run in there via the window sills and the wet polyfill will help make it rust faster.
Rain water stays INSIDE the doors constantly?

(Not much of a concern here for California, drought and all...)

Rust is never an issue here especially as there is no salt on the road.

Is poly fill still a bad idea? How much is the quality sound deadening stuff? Worth it or not?

-I'll most likely take it to a shop to wire components for me and wire the amp to it.. Hopefully they don't charge too much. I'll do the sound deadening myself