PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 Gt Convertible Power wire & Rear Speakers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2015, 02:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile 2005 Gt Convertible Power wire & Rear Speakers

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum so bear with me here. I just bought a 2005 Pt Cruiser Gt 5 speed with 57,000 and I'm looking to upgrade the sound system. I guess I'm just curious on how difficult it is to run the power wire and replace the factory speakers before I go and buy them. Any info is much appreciated!

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (96.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Jallen35; 29 Aug 2015 at 02:12 pm.
Old 29 Aug 2015, 02:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 Gt Convertible Power wire & Rear Speakers

John,

We have a section of the forum called the "Sound and Security Forum" and if you look through all the threads under that header you sure to find older posts that will answer most of your questions. Anything you do or want to do was probably done before and asked/talked about by other owners.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Sep 2015, 03:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 Gt Convertible Power wire & Rear Speakers

It will depend a lot on how handy you are. The stock speakers in the doors of your PT Cruiser are 6.5" in diameter, they are actually round but most aftermarket speakers will require a speaker adapter to work right.

This is where your handiness comes in. If you are handy enough you can make your own adapters, I managed it alright and I have a pretty primitive wood working shop here.

I don't see why you would have to replace any of the wires. You can get a wiring harness pigtail off eBay really cheap and wire in almost any aftermarket stereo you want.

A high end stereo or 'head unit' as they call them now should have a special output just for the subwoofer.

Or are you one of those audiofools with more money than brains that really think you have to run four aught {0000 AWG}oxygen free ultra fine strand copper wire {at $400.00 an inch}because it truly makes a difference?

On the base model stereos I have never seen a 'sub out' plug. I have tapped into the rear speaker wires and run that source to awesomeasswhackinmonsterkiller amplifier's and use that to run subs before and it worked out alright, but then again I am not an audiofool with more money than brains.

I just know what sounds good to me and I don't compete when I 'build a system' I just add stuff till it sounds good to me. I like my music quite loud and having enhanced bass is fine with me but if it starts to distort or becomes painful to listen to I am smart enough to 'turn that crap down'

The amps I use are usually 2 channel and I use subwoofer drivers {speakers} with dual inputs. The guys I know that compete use Mono amps, one for each channel and 'better' subs than I can even afford, again with only one input and claim its better.

Most of them sound like crap to me at full tilt or are just plain painful to listen to, not clear and the junk in their trunk starts to vibrate but they are looking for max sound pressure {to win the competition or just to annoy their neighbors for several blocks around them maybe} and I just want a little more bump to my beat.

Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but Stupid is forever.

Last edited by KA9VQF; 01 Sep 2015 at 03:46 am.