Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Any advice to a newb looking to DIY sound deadening to my 2006 PT Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2015, 01:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Any advice to a newb looking to DIY sound deadening to my 2006 PT Cruiser

Who has done it before? I'm okay spending extra to get the dynamat brand for resonance and I think mass loaded vinyl is too difficult for some noob like me to get it done right. Does anybody have pictures on how to remove the plastic panels and on what part of the car exactly I should stick this to. Only the metal? both sides?

I'm guessing the front door should look like this...

Second-gen parts upgrade to my 2004

Where do I attach the sound deadener to?

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10455-...ywords=dynamat

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10007-...bxgy_263_img_y

I wanted to buy these two products.. Should I get it from somewhere else? Should I get a cheaper butyl rubber compound and try to add some mass loaded vinyl? Any pointers there?

My plan is to add sound deadening to all 4 doors... then if still needed... replace the front speakers with components and an amp but I've never done that either so should I just take it to a shop instead after I install dynamat?

What are the top 3 brands? Am I overpaying?
Old 12 Sep 2015, 01:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Any advice to a newb looking to DIY sound deadening to my 2006 PT Cruiser

Sadly the best PT Cruiser that I ever read and saw picture of this done was *Robins.
*CREWZIN may know where to find the threads about what he did?

*Xwing777 has some info and pictures as well.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Sep 2015, 01:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Any advice to a newb looking to DIY sound deadening to my 2006 PT Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Sadly the best PT Cruiser that I ever read and saw picture of this done was *Robins.
*CREWZIN may know where to find the threads about what he did?

*Xwing777 has some info and pictures as well.
I assume that guy disappeared and so did some of his write-ups?

I'm just watching videos for a while until I place my order this week so I can figure out what to do... being 90*+ out here in California is no good though. I heard its supposed to chill out a bit now.

How is this video?

Old 12 Sep 2015, 01:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No there is lots of his threads but unfortunately he passed away.

Hang tight there are a couple members that are really good at finding this forums information I am sure they will help you out.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Sep 2015, 03:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Noise dampening

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 12 Sep 2015, 08:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

I haven't done this in my PT yet but we did install a similar product in my wife's 454SS pickup. We covered the entire cab of the truck, floor, back wall, roof and the doors. We had the entire interior out of the truck, except for the dash! It cut down on some of the noise, but really cut out all the rattles and now when you close the doors they feel and sound like a bank vault! The 1000 watt stereo system sounds better. To really cut down on the outside noise you need the mass loaded vinyl or something similar to that.
Overall we are happy with the results of what we did to the truck. Of course the 500hp 496 will be very difficult to quite down!

From the research I did most of the dampener materials are pretty much the same thing. Shop by price for the stuff, just be sure that your comparing products of the same thickness... some companies offer sever different thicknesses.

I used FatMat. The stuff goes in very easily, work in smaller sections and be sure to press it in very well. We used a small roller like the one you linked too, a tennis ball and our hands...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 13 Sep 2015, 04:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
No there is lots of his threads but unfortunately he passed away.

Hang tight there are a couple members that are really good at finding this forums information I am sure they will help you out.
I am very sorry. I did not mean to be so callous. May he rest in peace.

Quote:
Thank you NitroPT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
I haven't done this in my PT yet but we did install a similar product in my wife's 454SS pickup. We covered the entire cab of the truck, floor, back wall, roof and the doors. We had the entire interior out of the truck, except for the dash! It cut down on some of the noise, but really cut out all the rattles and now when you close the doors they feel and sound like a bank vault! The 1000 watt stereo system sounds better. To really cut down on the outside noise you need the mass loaded vinyl or something similar to that.
Overall we are happy with the results of what we did to the truck. Of course the 500hp 496 will be very difficult to quite down!

From the research I did most of the dampener materials are pretty much the same thing. Shop by price for the stuff, just be sure that your comparing products of the same thickness... some companies offer sever different thicknesses.

I used FatMat. The stuff goes in very easily, work in smaller sections and be sure to press it in very well. We used a small roller like the one you linked too, a tennis ball and our hands...
Ya I started to pay more attention while driving and a lot of outside noise leaks in from every direction especially at fast highway speeds. I'll be needing some mass loaded vinyl then... This is going to end up taking a long time...

Mass Loaded Vinyl looks a bit difficult to attach... Does it attach the same way as Dynamat/Edead?/Raamat??
Old 13 Sep 2015, 06:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You may consider roll on bed-liner paint for the under-body and inside panels and then the rest Dyna mat or other material of that type?

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Sep 2015, 08:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

The best way is to do both the MLV and some sort of stick on dampener. The dampener stops the metal from resonating/ringing like a bell, which does cut some outside sound. The MLV absorbs much more noise/sound.

I would start with some sort of stick on dampener and see how you like it and then go from there, it may be enough.

One issue with the MLV is that it can be a bit of a challenge to fit behind interior panels due to the thickness of the material.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 21 Sep 2015, 01:13 am
Cool Cruiser

All duly noted. I already bought fatmat sound dampening and I'm going to see if that is enough for me then go with mlv after if needed.

https://youtu.be/97O4k017ynM

This video shows how to remove this door panel for a car like my 2006 of cruiser... But I wonder if it is okay to remove the metal bar held with three bolts? Is it safe to remove and unscrew everything?

Lastly since I'll be replacing the glue with butyl rope... What is the best way to remove the old glue? Just patiently?

Argh one more question... I heard covering all the holes with the sound dampener provides a better sound but then the stock weather proofing won't fit right? I'd need to change to using a plastic sheet around everything?

Will this all make sense to me once ibl just finally remove the panel myself?

Would the community want me to document this? Any particular pictures or videos wanted?