Advertisements
Switch 2005 Stock Radio for OTHER UPGRADED 2005 Stock Radio

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Adonia214

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2015, 02:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Switch 2005 Stock Radio for OTHER UPGRADED 2005 Stock Radio

Hello all!! I am a new Pt Cruiser owner!

We live in Florida, but found a snow bird car that they use to go back and forth from NY to Florida with low mileage. We picked up a 2005 Pt Cruiser GT with 46k ORIGINAL CAR FAX verified miles!!

I have always loved these cars. When it came time to buy something used, I never thought to look into one of these. It was by fluke that I learned these were going for a decent price tag used.

Anyway, the car has the 1.5 DIN (from what I can tell in pics) radio with the CD and did not come with the Navigation/Integrated phone/Satellite option. My Hyundai Santa Fe has this option so I can use my iphone to make hands free calls and I can plug my phone into a special port that loads my iphone into the radio and also charges it. I want to do this with my PT cruiser.

I thought the easiest thing might be to get a stock Nav/phone radio from a 2005 and swap it, but I looked at the back of the two radios and they don't seem identical.

I've also been looking online to see if there is something better out there, but the problem I am having is I want to maintain the look of the classic stock as much as possible. I am afraid today's head units make the retro interior look a little too modern.

Any advice? PLEASE?
Old 22 Sep 2015, 02:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Switch 2005 Stock Radio for OTHER UPGRADED 2005 Stock Radio

First, welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

The 2005 PT uses the oval face radio. The Nav version of this is the RB1. I installed one in my 2001 PT Limited. There was a Uconnect OEM option for a cell phone bluetooth. But finding the right components to put it in a PT that didn't come with it will be extremely difficult and likely expensive. I seriously sought to do this myself but finally gave up on the effort. And did it a different way. The RB1 is a beast when it comes to compatibility.

The easiest way to get everything you want in a modern and easy to use form is going to be to by a single or double din aftermarket stereo head with all those features and then fit it into the PT. You can sometimes find modified double din bezels for sale on eBay. And there are threads on this forum that explain how to mount the double din in a 1st Generation PT like yours.

What I have currently is a OEM Chrysler multiplexer that allows me to run multiple inputs through the OEM stereo head. I had to build the harness myself and it was a booger. I can hear phone calls through my system if my cell phone is married to my bluetooth dongle. I did all this just because I like the stock stereo system and like putting complicated things together for fun. Here's a video:

And here's one of my BR1 Nav stereo during installation.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 22 Sep 2015 at 02:38 pm.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 02:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you.

In case you couldn't tell from the emoticons, I am a girl. If you try to say otherwise, like "middle aged lady" I now know where to find you

I don't like complicated and I don't like expensive. I am open to aftermarket, but I am confused because they say Bluetooth, but then I am wondering if there is a built in mic or how that works. I would do well if I could have some suggestions of what I should buy and can be easily installed by Best Buy for example.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 02:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The is a forum where the most frequent posters are aging men. So if you are under 60 years old, you will likely be considered a young girl here.

For aftermarket stereo stuff I will have to default to some other members that dabble in that kind of thing.
Old 22 Sep 2015, 02:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The is a forum where the most frequent posters are aging men. So if you are under 60 years old, you will likely be considered a young girl here.
In that case, I'm jail bait.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.