PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stereo Upgrade

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2015, 03:59 pm
Banned

Default Stereo Upgrade

I'm looking to upgrade the stock stereo in my PT. I don't really want to do the double din upgrade, but stick to the stock bezel and dash opening. I have found a couple of units on Amazon, but I know nothing about the brands. There are also a lot of other units, but how do you weed through them all? What I am most interested in is a unit that is MP3 capable and will allow for a SD card, as I have all my music on that and that will be my primary source. Navigation is nice, but what I worry about is how do you get future map updates? Do you have to buy them on a card to update? The only other nicety would be back up camera capable. Camera could be with the unit or separate. I would appreciate anyones thoughts or experience with any units.

Amazon.com : Koolertron Car DVD Player With GPS Navigation For 2005-2007 Chrysler 300 Limited/Touring 2005-2007 Chrysler 300C 2007-2008 Chrysler Aspen 2006-2010 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2007-2008 Dodge Caliber 2006-2007 Dodge Charger 2005-2007 Dodge Magnu

http://www.amazon.com/Chrysler-Chero...0_SR160%2C160_

wingman55 likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 02 Oct 2015 at 04:05 pm.
Old 02 Oct 2015, 04:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stereo Upgrade

I think that is a Double DIN ?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 02 Oct 2015, 05:13 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I think that is a Double DIN ?
Both of these that I have found fit in the stock opening, using the stock bezel.
Old 02 Oct 2015, 09:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Both of these that I have found fit in the stock opening, using the stock bezel.
Maybe I read wrong it said 5 inch screen I hope that will fit in a stock bezel? Just noted that all. Good luck

It looks like a nice head unit!

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 02 Oct 2015, 09:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hello you could check-out crutchfields web site, they were very helpfull in there products and advice. Also they have a great selection. Hope this helps.
Old 02 Oct 2015, 11:14 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Maybe I read wrong it said 5 inch screen I hope that will fit in a stock bezel? Just noted that all. Good luck

It looks like a nice head unit!
I believe the screen size is measured diagonally. I think I've eliminated the first one, I read a review from someone else that was not very good, and it being an import unit, may have trouble getting support if something should go wrong. Although that's why I like using Amazon and PayPal as if I ever have had a problem with an item, they have both been great about resolving any issues. Also the unit does not have a remote control available, which I would find useful for hands-free use, rather than having to reach up to the unit itself.

So the second unit is still a consideration, I'm just waiting to hear back from the seller on a couple of specs on the unit that I can't seem to find anywhere (how many gigabyte SD card will it support).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBERT View Post
Hello you could check-out crutchfields web site, they were very helpfull in there products and advice. Also they have a great selection. Hope this helps.
I have tried their website and they don't make anything that is a direct fit for the PT bezel.

Last edited by rckstein; 02 Oct 2015 at 11:18 pm.
Old 03 Oct 2015, 04:00 am
Cool Cruiser

Why mess with units from China. For $99 you can get a new bezel and get any unit from the US with a bigger screen.

Amazon.com : Chrysler Pt Cruiser GPS Navigation Aftermarket Double Din Radio Stereo Bezel Install Installation Kit + Standard Wire Harness + Antenna Adapter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 : Vehicle Audio Video Antennas : GPS & Navigation

And for the same price you are looking at, you can get the bezel and a head unit from Jensen.
I have 2 of these:

Amazon.com: Jensen VX7020 6.2-Inch TFT Car Stereo 2.0 DIN MultiMedia Receiver with Built-In Bluetooth and Ext Mic/USB/App Control: Car Electronics
2004 Dream Cruiser / 5 speed Traded for 12 Veloster
2003 GT / Blue / Auto /sold
2001 Touring/ Silver / 5 speed /sold on E Bay
Old 03 Oct 2015, 05:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: Stereo Upgrade

All "US" units come from China anyway. Flip a coin... middle man upcharges vs "warranty support" (FWIW). Either way you are either lucky or unlucky.

Anyway, I have a similar unit a couple of years old (maybe three years old) and it has no trouble reading 32GB cards. But load 10,000 MP3s on a card at yer peril!
My machine's media player thought it would do me a "favor" and index all the tunes on my card ... but it's internal flash memory ran out of temp drive space for its database, and BRICKED ITSELF
(fixed with a firmware reload...)

Typically for map updates you go to the maker's website and download a 3GB ISO file, and then copy it to a card and away you go. Similar process for updating or upgrading firmware on these things...
wingman55 likes this.
Old 03 Oct 2015, 08:22 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve1 View Post
The Jensen unit does look nice, along with the double din installation and there are certainly more double din choices available. But I really don't want to have to modify the dash (remove radio support) to fit the unit, and with some, or all, of the center support removed, then I worry about the full weight of the unit being supported by just the bezel that it is mounted to, that's a lot of weight bouncing around.
Old 03 Oct 2015, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Funny to read about the wieght of a head unit. There was a time you knew quality of a stereo componet by how heavy it was. Most simple and low quality head unit were light and amp cases large but almost empty inside. Now If yoy got a ($$$)
Blaupunkt made in Germany or a Nakamichi componet they were the top quality , chassis filled with electronics and were not light in weight.
rockandroller likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN