Advertisements
2007 Stereo Upgrades

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2015, 10:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 Stereo Upgrades

Hi everyone,
My 2005 PT has been traded in today, and so I inherit my mother's 2007 Limited. I have some questions on the pending stereo upgrade:

From the Gen 1 car, I have this adapter.
Crutchfield, however, is recommending this for the 2007.
Can I use the old one? What's different about this new one? There aren't any steering wheel controls on the car.

Secondly, I have a powered sub, but it's rather boomy and has a fairly narrow frequency range (8" woofer). Thus, there's hardly any midbass. I'm thinking about leaving that out and tossing in a couple of 6x9's in boxes instead. Has anyone done this? They'd probably be put behind the rear seats. Anyone have a better idea?

For clarification, here's what I have:
Polk db651s (front doors)
Kenwood Excelon head unit (possibly to be replaced)
Alpine Power-Pack amp
Sound Ordnance powered sub
wingman55 likes this.

Polk db651s, Pioneer X6700BS, Sound Ordnance B-8P, Alpine KTP-445U
Old 18 Oct 2015, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 Stereo Upgrades

With your list of parts and considering old school days around the mid 70's of 6x9 in a box.

I should not mention the flat response and very narrow range of bass that makes. Even poweded with a good amp they still will,sound like 6x9 in a box!

Nice looking PT you enherited.
ksucarl and wingman55 like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Oct 2015, 11:05 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
With your list of parts and considering old school days around the mid 70's of 6x9 in a box.

I should not mention the flat response and very narrow range of bass that makes. Even poweded with a good amp they still will,sound like 6x9 in a box!

Nice looking PT you enherited.
That pic must be his old 05, it's not an 07
rckstein likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 18 Oct 2015, 11:51 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
I think the pic in Post #1 as his signature is the one he got rid of?
Old 18 Oct 2015, 11:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
My excuse list for not noticing that:

It was early, was still in bed, I got my COC village annihilated by lvl 6 balloons and the most important thing....I had NO coffee yet!
rckstein and ksucarl like this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Oct 2015, 11:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, that's the old one. Wasn't worth fixing its issues, so my mother gets a new car and I get to drive a purple PT.

Anyway, if anybody was wondering, those harnesses are not interchangeable. Completely different on the Gen 2.

So after some reading it seems that the 6x9s won't satisfy me. So here's my issue:
With new 2-ways and an amp, the mids and highs are crisp as can be. The sub fills the low end, obviously, but there has always been a gap between the sub and the mids. If I turn up the LPF on the sub, it becomes unbearably boomy, so that doesn't work. So I'm in search of some good midbass.
Now, I'm reading all kinds of things to do about this.

1) Component speakers with custom enclosures
2) Dampen/seal the doors
3) Spend even more money on door speakers
4) PT's just don't have a good enough cabin
5) Everything is set up wrong (doubt it)

Now, I'm still doin the college thing so I'm not made of money. I think components are out of scope here. The Polks I bought in April should be fine, especially with that amp, so I don't want to buy even more speakers. So, if I deaden the doors, will that help? Or am I missing something else entirely?

Old 18 Oct 2015, 12:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What you are describing is purely personal sound preference. I can see that you are somewhat of an Audiophile so "we" at least other Audiophiles I am certain will look forward to reading what you finally came up with to suite your listening taste!

wingman55 likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 19 Oct 2015, 10:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, I just ordered Pioneer DEH-X6700BS and the proper harness adapter, dash kit, etc.

On Amazon, I've found some relatively inexpensive sound deadening mat that certainly can't hurt. I'll try that with my good ol' Polks, and if that brings a good result then I'll do the same to the rear doors.

I've also decided that if I'm going to drive a purple car, then I'll embrace the purple. I'm going to get a spool of those LED strip lights. The plan is to place them in the footwells, a small strip behind the mid air vents (maybe the outside ones too, if they're not too hard to get to), and under the front seats to illuminate the back a little. Now, I'm familiar with basic wiring, but I'd like some advice since I know you guys know what the heck you're talkin about
I'd like to have the LEDs wired into the dome light circuit (somewhere in the driver kick panel, I think) so that they come on when the doors open, like courtesy lights. I'd like the option to have them on whenever I want, too, so here's what I was thinking:

Does this look like a good way to do it? Can I ground all of that in the radio harness or should I do it elsewhere? And is the accessory circuit always on when the car is running, or only when the key is turned backwards?

Old 29 Oct 2015, 05:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Updates!

I ended up with the same audio setup as before, but with a new receiver (Pioneer X6700BS). This time, I'm deadening the doors.
I bought some Noico mat. I think it's great, at only $35 for 18 sqft. I don't have anything to compare it to, though. Seems to do the job. I did the outer panel, and some on the inner panel:

Then, I bought some aluminum roof flashing ($8) and some weatherstrip tape ($4). Used some cardstock to make a template, traced it onto the flashing, and cut it out. I put some mat on one side. Then, I fit the weatherstrip tape around the holes:

Then I drilled some pilot holes through the panel and the door, and used self-tapping screws to attach it:

The fit isn't too pretty, but it's sealed. I'll do the other door better.
I made another metal panel for the smaller hole on the top left, and simply used Noico mat to cover the one on the far left. I also used some closed-cell foam to make a ring to fit behind the speaker. I forgot to take a pic of the finished product.

So after all, the stereo does sound better. Definitely an improvement in midbass response, and the right speaker is very noticeably clearer (less distortion from the vibrating door). The door project took about 3.5 hours. Hopefully the other will take less time.
To further clean up the sound, I was able to turn the LPF for the subwoofer down to 60Hz, since the door speakers can now take over from there. That took out a lot of the "boom". The stock rear door speakers sound awful, but I don't have the budget to deal with them yet.
NitroPT likes this.

Old 29 Oct 2015, 05:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The LED project also turned out well.

I have a tiny strip in the air vents, with one about 10" long in each footwell and under the front seats.
I ended up using a fuse tap for the accessory switch, run through the hood release cable's hole in the firewall. For the dome light, I tapped the "cargo lamp" wire (it runs in the gigantic bundle down the driver's side of the car, under the kickpanels. It's yellow&white if anyone was wondering. Wiring is totally different with Gen 2). The wires joined in two little bundles, one pos and one neg. Negatives were spliced into the loop of ground wires right behind the glovebox. The switch is wired exactly how I drew it, mounted on the drivers side of the center console. It's hidden by the wheel in the picture.
Everything works great, and it's all weatherproofed so hopefully it'll last.
belkster74 likes this.