PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dash Cams?

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2015, 12:54 pm
Banned

Default Dash Cams?

There are thousands of dash cams available now at very reasonable prices. I have been experimenting with the type that either replace or clip over the rearview mirror. I don't want to have one that hangs from a mount on the windshield or on the dash, as I want it be as unobtrusive and as out of sight as possible. I also don't want one that I have to set up or put onto a mount each time I get into my PT. I had a vehicle broken into once for someone to steal a radar detector that was clipped to the sunvisor. I just want to get into the vehicle, start it up and have the camera start recording. The other requirement is that I want front and rear cameras and the unit has to be able to record both cameras. Many units will record the front the camera, and the rear input is merely a monitor, but won't record that feed. So far I have tried a couple of different mirror mount types and what I find is that the camera slightly flutters when recording and what this does is it can make traffic lights, particularly red ones, appear that they are flashing. The camera needs to be able to record perfectly the exact conditions that are present, to be used as any kind of evidence for accidents, etc. Is the fluttering a condition caused by the vehicle electrical system, since the camera is getting its power from the power outlet? If so, is there such a filter that can be added to the electrical feed that will give the camera clean, constant power? Thanks for any input.
Old 05 Nov 2015, 01:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Dash Cams?

Try recording a traffic light with the engine off and see if you still have the flutter. Sometimes flutter is a case of frame rate which either doesn't match with the device being used to view the recording or the final recording format.
Probedude likes this.
Old 05 Nov 2015, 02:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

i have noticed the flutter you're talking about with certain cameras i have seen reviewed online. you might look yours up on youtube and see if others with the same camera have the same problem. if they do the solution is a better camera.

i'm going to buy a GiiNii GD-250 Dash Cam for my mustang. my customer has been through several and finally ended up loving this model. he said it's the only one he's tried that is smooth and can read a plate at a decent distance. i'm planning to mount it to my (dark tinted) rear hatch glass so it captures all the fun and is out of sight. maybe you can figure out something similar?

Last edited by rob342; 05 Nov 2015 at 02:20 pm.
Old 05 Nov 2015, 04:08 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Try recording a traffic light with the engine off and see if you still have the flutter. Sometimes flutter is a case of frame rate which either doesn't match with the device being used to view the recording or the final recording format.
I haven't tried that yet, but will. But I have noticed that it's not with all red traffic lights, just some, so that's what's odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
i have noticed the flutter you're talking about with certain cameras i have seen reviewed online. you might look yours up on youtube and see if others with the same camera have the same problem. if they do the solution is a better camera.

i'm going to buy a GiiNii GD-250 Dash Cam for my mustang. my customer has been through several and finally ended up loving this model. he said it's the only one he's tried that is smooth and can read a plate at a decent distance. i'm planning to mount it to my (dark tinted) rear hatch glass so it captures all the fun and is out of sight. maybe you can figure out something similar?
The two models that I have tried are supposed to be recording in HD 1080P(25fps) on the front camera, 720(30fps) for the rear camera. When I encountered the issue with the first model I tried, the manufacturer even sent a replacement, but it did the same thing. So I'm still searching.
Old 05 Nov 2015, 04:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
I have noticed that it's not with all red traffic lights, just some, so that's what's odd.
some stop lights have been replaced wit LED's and some have not. this could very well explain what you are seeing. at the same time some companies will be using cheaper LED's and cheaper LED drivers.

like this? (but to a lesser degree)

if you just want to clean the electric from your car, you might seek out something like the oki-78sr i say "something like" because this converts 8-28v to 5v. i used it as a DC to DC converter to clean and drop 12v to 5v for my arduino. your camera may be 5v after the cigarette lighter adapter, but i wouldn't know. you could also just use a capacitor to help filter the voltage ripple. i use both just because.
you can see a little more in depth how i wire that here: (just look at the green chip and the cap)homebuilt wifi car starter

i doubt your car is the problem though, it's probably due to cheap LED bulbs in the streetlights. simply turning the ignition off at a light would probably rule noise on your end out.

just FYI as someone who has stood there while a judge watched a crappy video, i can assure you a judge isn't going to throw out video evidence due to flickering streetlights. they just want to see what happened

Last edited by rob342; 05 Nov 2015 at 04:55 pm.
Old 05 Nov 2015, 05:59 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
some stop lights have been replaced wit LED's and some have not. this could very well explain what you are seeing. at the same time some companies will be using cheaper LED's and cheaper LED drivers.

like this? (but to a lesser degree)

if you just want to clean the electric from your car, you might seek out something like the oki-78sr i say "something like" because this converts 8-28v to 5v. i used it as a DC to DC converter to clean and drop 12v to 5v for my arduino. your camera may be 5v after the cigarette lighter adapter, but i wouldn't know. you could also just use a capacitor to help filter the voltage ripple. i use both just because.
you can see a little more in depth how i wire that here: (just look at the green chip and the cap)homebuilt wifi car starter

i doubt your car is the problem though, it's probably due to cheap LED bulbs in the streetlights. simply turning the ignition off at a light would probably rule noise on your end out.

just FYI as someone who has stood there while a judge watched a crappy video, i can assure you a judge isn't going to throw out video evidence due to flickering streetlights. they just want to see what happened
Yes, that kind of flickering, although I haven't really noticed it with vehicle LED lights, but I will keep that in mind. The unit is 5v at the adaptor. It's easy enough to check the traffic lights as I normally take the same route to and from work and I can make note of which ones use LED's. That's kind of what I thought too, that some video evidence is better than nothing or taking someones word for what took place. But it's the lawyers that tend to twist anything around once they get a hold of something.

Last edited by rckstein; 05 Nov 2015 at 06:06 pm.
Old 05 Nov 2015, 11:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

This!

The output of light from an LED is a certain frequency in hertz. Let's say it's 30 Hz from the LED and the camera recording it records at a common 24 frames per second. Every few frames recorded by the camera will not be in sync with the light source and thus a "blinking" occurs where the camera caught the LED in between cycles.

excerpts from: https://www.reddit.com/r/TopGear/com...ash_on_camera/
Probedude and rckstein like this.
Old 05 Nov 2015, 11:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Interesting asking this on a automotive forum. lol
Considering what has already been talked about in the last several years.

If you want to get the answer as well what you are looking for contact

*B&H.

You can look up the contact information yourself.

I have used on board *mini cameras mounted in the grill and in the rear wiper window hole filming both front and rear video since around 2006. Mostly for track purposes or product development not security. NOT The PT Cruiser which gets the playful toys and not anything genuinely serious video equipment.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 05 Nov 2015 at 11:48 pm.
Old 07 Nov 2015, 06:35 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Interesting asking this on a automotive forum.

Last edited by rckstein; 07 Nov 2015 at 06:58 pm.
Old 07 Nov 2015, 11:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
There are dozens of camera forums and most have as section dedicated for dash and back up camera's for vehicles.

As I said on this forums it has been very limited to only about 4-8 members even mentioning using them on a PT or for that matter anything?

My response was actually to help you to give you who I have dealt with having to do with camera's.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN