Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
05 PT Cruiser GT AUX and antenna issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Dec 2015, 06:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 05 PT Cruiser GT AUX and antenna issue

Hi all, I purchased a PT Cruiser convertible yesterday and have a couple sound questions.

The first one is about the radio/antenna. I can't seem to get any AM/FM stations to come in clear. I'll pick a few up with static but if I use scan it never finds a station. The antenna looks fine.

The second question is about the AUX input. I can't get the car to register when I have my phone plugged into the aux. It just won't switch to that mode. I've tried 2 different audio cords.

CDs work just fine and so does the navigation DVD.

Thanks
Old 25 Dec 2015, 08:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 05 PT Cruiser GT AUX and antenna issue

If you have factory NAV in a 2005 PT, then you must have the RB1 stereo head. If so, there's only a number of AUX adapters that will work with it. Most aftermarket adapters will not. If installed before you got the car, there no telling if it ever worked.

First, do you also have satellite radio? If you do have it (whether it works or not) chances are that the AUX will not work without some custom wiring with a mutliplexer from a different Chrysler vehicle.

Here's what I would do.

Remove antenna and assure leads are good and there is no corrosion where the antenna screwed into the antenna base. See if you pick up radio stations any better.

If not, pull the stereo head and make sure the antenna is plugged into the unit. At the same time, identify the brand and model of the AUX adapter that is plugged into the square 10-pin plug on the back of the unit. Then report back here so we can help with the AUX problem.

If you find the antenna lead plugged in, unplug and re-plug. Check to see if the radio stations pick up. If not, pull the glove box and attempt to find the antenna lead extension to the right of the glove box. Assure it's plugged in and then see if the radio picks up stations.

And finally, report back here and let us know what happens. Also, look on the roof of the PT right above the hatch and see if there is a satellite antenna there. Again, we need to know this to help with the AUX issue.
Old 25 Dec 2015, 09:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the indepth response. I will be able to give you an update on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Old 29 Dec 2015, 12:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I do not have satellite radio as far as I can tell. I have no options to select anything other than AM/FM, CD/AUX, TONE, SCAN and NAV. I also can't find an antenna for satellite radio anywhere.

I removed the antenna and looked at everything. I didn't find any corrosion, just a little rust. The radio didn't work any better with the antenna off.

I pulled the radio out and checked all the plugs. Everything was plugged in and the cables looked alright to me. Everything was unplugged and plugged back in. I'm going to pull the glove box later today.

The AUX adapter is an is31 from iSimple.

I took a lot of pictures and can upload them later if that would be helpful.