Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Red Security Light Flashing; Vehicle Won't Start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2016, 02:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Red Security Light Flashing; Vehicle Won't Start

Also I tried the 2h key thing Steve recommended and didn't get any results.

Last edited by ImplicitWeevil; 14 Jan 2016 at 03:03 pm.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 03:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Here's the fuse box.

Also, the engine light is on when I turn the key to ON. For review, I have a flashing security light, a solid battery light, a solid airbag light, and a solid engine light when the key is in the ON position. I believe most of those are normal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0791[1].jpg (91.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0787[1].jpg (94.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 14 Jan 2016, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you did have a 1st generation PT Cruiser would suggest removing the IOD fuse with you being inside the PT Cruiser with the doors closed, wait ten minutes, reinstall the IOD fuse, then try unlocking or locking the doors, then try starting the PT Cruiser. Make sure you do it in this order. Another member tried this and it worked. This is to try and reset the WCM.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 14 Jan 2016 at 07:24 pm. Reason: this post is only for 1st generation to try and reset WCM
Old 14 Jan 2016, 03:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Is the IOD fuse located inside the vehicle, or outside? I haven't been able to find a fuse box inside. Just wondering because you said I need to be in the vehicle. Thanks

Also just found out I have work tonight, so I'll have to try tomorrow...

Last edited by ImplicitWeevil; 14 Jan 2016 at 04:00 pm.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 04:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImplicitWeevil View Post
Is the IOD fuse located inside the vehicle, or outside? I haven't been able to find a fuse box inside. Just wondering because you said I need to be in the vehicle. Thanks

Also just found out I have work tonight, so I'll have to try tomorrow...
Oops! Forgot its a 2007 PT Cruiser!
Old 14 Jan 2016, 04:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

XD Gotcha, it was my mistake initially, anyway. Does it still have that fuse or an equivalent fuse? I can have someone else pull it for me while I'm inside. Figured I'd check in before bed.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 10:02 am
Senior Cruiser

My advice is to hook an OBDII reader up and see if there are any codes being thrown.

I recently had the exact same issue with a Neon ECU I was getting ready to sell. The light was flashing always and when I hooked up the scanner, I was not able to read the engine management part of the ecu at all. It could, possibly, be the same with yours as well.
Old 07 Jul 2016, 02:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey, it's been a while but we had to put off the repair for a while. We just recently decided to get around to fixing it and took it to the dealer. They decided it was the security box and ecm. The place they want to order it from will be $675. I thought that was pretty steep and asked them if they could install a part I brought them. So now I'm looking at finding an ecm.
Do any of you have experience with buying an ecm, and not getting it from the dealer? The one I'm looking at has a 6 month warranty on it and it's only $110 dollars. The part number matches.

Last edited by ImplicitWeevil; 07 Jul 2016 at 04:58 pm.
Old 08 Jul 2016, 09:22 am
Senior Cruiser

Is your car a manual transmission? If so, you have been pressing in the clutch before you attempt to start I hope.

You can install a used ecu in the car as long as the vin from your car has been programmed into it. There are several people on ebay offering used ecus for sale that include the programming. It is possible that the SKREEM module has failed and not the ecu. The SKREEM module stores the key info and then talks to the ecu. If the skreem is erased or has failed, then of course you will have the same situation. If the skreem has failed then this is a dealer only part as they need to program either new keys, or program your old keys (I am not sure if this is possible) to the new module. There may be a locksmith available with the correct tools to do this too, but I don't know.

Last edited by myckee; 08 Jul 2016 at 09:30 am.
Old 02 Aug 2016, 12:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2004 with the same no start problem. I have tried some of the suggestions and none have worked. I was thinking that the ECM may be bad. today I was working on it and the radio was working in the beginning then suddenly went dead.
here is one indicator that I haven't seen mentioned yet. when I go to the start position, the dash lights or indicators don't go out. normally everything goes blank when the starter is engaged. has anyone tried to change the ignition switch. I was thinking about just doing it just in case it makes a difference.
Thanks Everyone.

Tags
flashing, immobilizer, red flashing dot, security, won't start