Advertisements
2005 PT GT stock stereo crapped out

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2016, 10:01 am
Regular Cruiser

Default 2005 PT GT stock stereo crapped out

yeah.

My stock stereo had a CD error out and now the CD is jammed in there. It won't come out, I tried getting it out with a knife, no go.

Radio stations around here STINK and I have a single CD/tape factory unit sitting here I could use, I'd rather go aftermarket so I could have a ussssb port or two and maybe even bluetoof.

I'd like to go double DIN if possible. Suggestions?

I'm fairly mechanically inclined and not scared of breaking a fingernail so installing it isn't really an issue

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Jan 2016 at 11:27 am.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 10:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 PT GT stock stereo sh!t the bed

Here's how to install an AUX adapter on a stock stereo similar to the one in your 2005 PT GT.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...t-adapter.html

The original CD/cassette stereo in your GT is actually one of the better ones. It had RDS so it can pick up song titles and station info from radio stations that broadcast it. It does the same for satellite radio if you have that. Many of the other oval face stereos don't do this.

The first thing to try to get the CD out is to disconnect the battery cable. Then hook it back up. This may reset the CD mechanism and it may then eject when the button is pushed. There's not a high probability of this working, but it's worth a try.

Next, if you remove the stereo unit and are very "Handy", you may be able to disassembly the unit and remove the jammed CD. I've done this several times successfully in other cars with a similar stereo unit. Of course, the eject mechanism may be broke and it will just eat the next CD after re-installation.

Luckily, if you want to stay with a OEM stereo, the salvage yards are chopped full of these. Almost all Mopar vehicles from 2002 thru 2005 use a compatible oval face stereo unit. But there are a few exceptions like the Pacifica and 2005 Magnum. Where I live, you can get just about any of them for $30 or less. They have various options and functionality. You can read up on that here:

A Guide to Chrysler (Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth) Stereo ‚€œHead Units‚€Ě

Aftermarket stereo units are a good choice too. There are plug and play kits to install single DIN stereo units in your PT. The exception would be if you have a factory amp which appears to be very rare in 2005 PT's. In that case you would need an extra adapter. Installing a double DIN stereo in a 2005 will be a bit more challenging. But many members here have done that in the past. The hardest part will be modifying the center dash bezel. I do not believe any vendor today offers an after market double DIN bezel to fit your car. So yours will have to be modified for this. Here's a link to a Google search that shows threads on this forum about installing a double DIN stereo in a PT.

https://www.google.com/search?q=PTcr...uiserlinks.com

Good luck. Other members may have some more good information for you. I believe some have done the double DIN bezel modification to their PT's. And when you do your project, please take some photos and post them here so we can all see what you do and how it works out for you.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 17 Jan 2016 at 10:39 am.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 10:55 am
Regular Cruiser

My PT currently has the 6 CD in dash changer in it.... that's why I think getting that CD that's jammed in there out is going to be a PITA.

I have this bad mamma mamma sitting on a shelf that I can use if I don't go aftermarket. I think when I was working at a different Chrysler dealer we had a few sitting on a shelf and they were going to toss them so I took this one. Too bad it wasn't an RB1

P to the S. Sorry about the disgustingly dirty stove top bahaha
Old 17 Jan 2016, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Okay. I misunderstood which one was in your PT now. That RAZ unit you have on the shelf will work fine. I recently picked up one of those myself and put it in my Dodge Quadcab along with a satellite receiver. They guy in that article I posted the link to doesn't seem to like it as well at the very similar RBJ, but to me, the RAZ sounds very good with the premium Mopar speakers and sub.

I've had an RB1. I was not that impressed. It only works with fairly expensive AUX adapters and the screen is mostly grey and not that attractive. And making the RDS work with a satellite receiver is almost impossible without a special hard-to-get cord especially for the RB1. The RAZ is better in my opinion.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 11:26 am
Regular Cruiser

The one that's in my car now is identical to the one in the link. the RBK. The one that's sitting on my shelf is the RAZ. At least if a CD gets jammed in it it will be easier to get out. Judging by that link it looks like I can install that AUX cable by myself.

I know Mopar offered an iPod jack for a while that ran through the FM transmitter.... no thanks. I had an XM radio a long time ago that ran through the FM transmitter and if I went to Seattle (which in the early 2000s I was down there literally every weekend) I could never find an FM band without interference. I ended getting one of those cassette tape adapters for the XM radio. I was driving/beating the crap out of a 98 Honda Accord 4cyl 5speed at the time.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 11:33 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 PT GT stock stereo crapped out

I'm also curious.... does it have to be this Axxess piece or just something compatible? I can't seem to find this particular piece anywhere on the inter webs.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 03:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Some adapters are compatible and some are not. I like the Axxess because they sound great, I know they work and they are only $12. There's a trick to using these which I cover in my installation thread. The only issue is that these are now getting very hard to find. Using my "Handy Super Powers", I just found some for sale from this sketchy seller on Amazon. Not sure I'd buy from this guy, but here's the link anyway:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

The adapter at the link below is likely my second choice. It works good with an RB1 as well. But it costs a lot more:

The RIGHT iPod Adapter for Chrysler RB1 Nav Stereo

Also, you can hook a bluetooth adapter to the 32-pin iPod connector and have worry free blue tooth. I've tried several solutions for this. And the best one I've found is the CoolStream Duo. It's $30 on Amazon. But it will take a charge from the 12 volts coming out of the 32-pin connector on the adapter. And it will automatically connect to your phone when you get in the car. It doesn't do phone calls, but it's perfect for music.

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Here a video of a RAZ that I had hooked up in My 2005 PT GT. I had wired in a multiplexer were I could have both bluetooth and satellite radio. You may have to go to the Youtube page if you cannot hear the audio:

myckee likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 17 Jan 2016 at 03:37 pm.
Old 17 Jan 2016, 07:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I've had an RB1. I was not that impressed. It only works with fairly expensive AUX adapters and the screen is mostly grey and not that attractive. And making the RDS work with a satellite receiver is almost impossible without a special hard-to-get cord especially for the RB1. The RAZ is better in my opinion.
Wellll..... the RB1 is over ten year old technology compared to Uconnect etc today..... but having said that, I remember the nag in my 2001 S-Class. The screen was kinda small but it was ahead of its time aside from not being touch screen except I accidentally busted off the twist knob that was used to spell out the letters of where you wanted the GPS to tell you where you wanted to go. Yeah, not fun.

But the disc slot in the dash was for the nav discs and if you wanted to play CDs you had to put them in the changer in the trunk. Et tu, Mercedes? That confuzzled a lot of people.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 02:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

In My Intrepid I have had the chance to install a variety of the oval faced Chrysler radios. My Intrepid has the Infinity sound system in it and delivers awesome sound...depending upon the radio used. I have tried RBK (single disc), RAZ (both versions with RDS and without), RBQ (6 disc), RB1 (navigation) and RAH (single MP3 disc).

To me, the very best sounding radio, in that car, was the RAH. It is also appears to be a really rare radio too. Unfortunately it died before I had a chance to try it in the PT. Soon, I may have the chance though. The local yard just got a Pacifica in with that radio. The Pacifica has a different front face, but I still have the front face from my old RAH, so hopefully I can swap faces and it will work. That will be tomorrow's task, if it is not too cold.
Old 18 Jan 2016, 05:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Weeeellllllll.......

I was just at the wrecker and checked out an 05. I can modify the bezel no problem but modifying the bracket behind the bezel for a double DIN looks like more work than I want to do.

Next.....