• 1 Post By LionPT
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By LionPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2016, 08:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Original Radio??

Hi, I just bought my first car and it's a 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition. It has an aftermarket radio and I'd honestly prefer an original. The person I bought it from said they had gotten an original radio from a junk yard but they're all coded and have to be put in by a Chrysler dealership for 200$ but I haven't been able to find anything about this in the manual yet or online. I figured an entire forum to PT Cruiser enthusiasts might have a bit more experience here and be able to tell me whether or not thats true. If anyone has any experience with replacing the radio with an original..?? The radio currently in there has nothing wrong with, I just don't like it personally.
Old 11 Feb 2016, 09:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Original Radio??

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkraus96 View Post
Hi, I just bought my first car and it's a 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition. It has an aftermarket radio and I'd honestly prefer an original. The person I bought it from said they had gotten an original radio from a junk yard but they're all coded and have to be put in by a Chrysler dealership for 200$ but I haven't been able to find anything about this in the manual yet or online. I figured an entire forum to PT Cruiser enthusiasts might have a bit more experience here and be able to tell me whether or not thats true. If anyone has any experience with replacing the radio with an original..?? The radio currently in there has nothing wrong with, I just don't like it personally.
The radio's in the U.S. PT's are not coded & can be replaced without any problems.
On the other hand, you have a 2006 Cruiser that has the CANbus system, meaning the electrical system is different (2006-2010 CANbus)...the power to the after market radio is probably tapped into the power outlet above the cup holders....as the after market plug adapters don't have a power wire in the harness. So to go back to stock, all you will have to do is plug it in.

EDIT: Myself, I replaced the stock single CD system with the stock MP3 6 CD system for about $150 off ebay.
rckstein likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 11 Feb 2016 at 09:27 pm.
Old 11 Feb 2016, 10:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Then why did the previous owner run into that problem? They said they physically went to the dealership and was told that. Is there a possibility that dealership was lying for money or the radio that got was foreign or something? Maybe I should just try it myself. I don't really need a special edition radio or anything. I just prefer original looks and the aftermarket in there now doesn't have an auxiliary jack which was the whole reason I opted for a 2006 over a cheaper 2005, haha.
Old 11 Feb 2016, 10:49 pm
Banned

Quote:
The stock stereo that your PT should have come with is the RAQ 6-disc MP3. There are plenty of them on ebay.

Jeep Dodge Chrysler Generic Radio 6 CD Disc Changer MP3 Player RAQ Stereo Unit | eBay

Hopefully they didn't hack up the original wiring connector to put in the after-market stereo. Can you post a picture of the stereo that is currently installed? Also, have you tried to remove the center bezel yet to see how the replacement stereo was installed? If not, it's easy to do so and we can provide those instructions.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 12 Feb 2016 at 04:04 am.
Old 12 Feb 2016, 12:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Then why did the previous owner run into that problem? They said they physically went to the dealership and was told that. Is there a possibility that dealership was lying for money or the radio that got was foreign or something? Maybe I should just try it myself. I don't really need a special edition radio or anything. I just prefer original looks and the aftermarket in there now doesn't have an auxiliary jack which was the whole reason I opted for a 2006 over a cheaper 2005, haha.
Again, if it's a US PT, there's no code. The previous owner was either lied to. Or the person at the dealership simply didn't know. I've found that on average, dealership folks are no more accurate than others when it comes to cars that are more than a few years old. It takes a lot just to stay up on the current stuff.

The aftermarket stereo in the car now will likely have a special adapter plugged in between the stereo and the car's wiring harness. This allows the aftermarket stereo to work with the CANbus system. Basically, the stereo needs to communicate with the 2006 PT's ECU. And the adapter does that. And any professional installation of the aftermarket stereo would have almost surely included this adapter. If you remove the aftermarket stereo you should see. And if it is there, it can simply be unplugged and an OEM stereo can be reinstalled, plug and play.

However, if you pull the aftermarket stereo and the plug is cut off the car's wiring harness and power has been tapped for the stereo from somewhere else, then you will need to restore the original plug and wiring to use a OEM stereo. So it pays to look and see what you will be dealing with before you make up your mind on what to buy.

As already stated, the OEM stereos that fit the 2006 and later 2nd Gen PT's are very common and cheap. There's several different models too. Not just the RAC. But be sure the one you get has the half-moon cutouts around the knobs. The models of stereo that came after these look almost the same but the face is completely rectangular without the cutouts.

Here's the right style stereo:

Here's the WRONG style stereo:
rckstein and myckee like this.
Old 12 Feb 2016, 06:46 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
This is the original radio with the AUX jack in the lower left corner.

06 10 Chrysler PT Cruiser CD Player Radio | eBay

Dodge RAM 1500 2500 PT Cruiser Commander Am FM CD Disc Player Radio | eBay

EDIT: My AUX was broken, so I replaced it with the MP3 6 CD version...this version does not have a AUX jack...only the single CD does.
rckstein likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 12 Feb 2016, 09:34 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Again, if it's a US PT, there's no code. The previous owner was either lied to. Or the person at the dealership simply didn't know. I've found that on average, dealership folks are no more accurate than others when it comes to cars that are more than a few years old. It takes a lot just to stay up on the current stuff.
Being a dealership parts advisor, I still do my best to keep up on the older cars. I get people coming in who still have older PTs, Durangos, etc and they love their cars. The dealer I'm at now still has a stack of Chrysler service manuals dating back to 1991 if not earlier. I'm trying to snag a 2005 PT one for myself if I can find it.