PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Double Din Navigation Radio Re-install

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Mar 2016, 07:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Double Din Navigation Radio Re-install

On my previous Cruiser which went to the boneyard in December, I had purchased a double din Jensen VX6020 Navigation Radio and I had it installed by a professional installer. I also previously purchased the kit (Radio Bezel) which provided the larger opening to fit the double din sized radio. Prior to getting rid of the old cruiser I removed the radio and bezel. This entailed basically butchering the radio harness wires trying to get it out lol.

My new Cruiser is a 2008 convertible turbo. I decided to upgrade my stereo system and take on the challenge of re-installing the components myself. Patiently, began to purchase the upgrades over the past few months

Front speakers upgrade: Alpine SPR-60 6-1/2" Coaxial 2-Way Type-R Speaker Set 6.5 inches. They came with speaker ring adapters to line up the mounting holes.
NOTE: You will need speaker wire adapters so you don’t have to splice into your existing speaker wire. (Part # METRA 72-6514)

Note: removing front door panels is a fairly easy process to access the speakers.
Remove the 2 bolts under the handle, remove the screw behind the door opening handle Remove the plastic triangle behind the mirror, by levering with a screwdriver from above

This you-tube video was helpful

Rear Speakers:
I decided to leave the OEM rear 6 x 9 speakers alone. After researching through various sources including here on the forum and Cruchfield, I reluctantly chose to leave them be as the rear seats and various panels needed to be removed to simply access the speakers. Yikes!

Rear speaker install on 05 pt convertible

2001-2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Car Audio Profile

Sub-Woofer:
KENWOOD KSC-SW11
Space in the convertible is at a premium. I decided to purchase the Kenwood KCC-SW11 under-seat sub. Reviews were very positive. The unit is self powered, rugged and small and fits great under the passenger front seat and cant be seen unless you stick your head under there . Very powerful sub for such a small size. It also comes with a controller with knobs to raise and lower the bass response. I installed t6he control on the left side of the shelf just below the bezel above the cup holders. It also lights up blue lol

Amplifier: Alpine KTP-445U
Again a great space saver about 8” long and 3” wide
“It increases your receiver's power output to 45 watts RMS by 4 channels. That's a big jump up from the 7-20 watts per channel typically put out by a car radio” I hooked mine up under the dash above the glove box
Note: The glove compartment door is easily removed by fully opening doors then pulling from bottom to release the tabs from the hinges.

The radio came supplied front and rear speaker RCA Jacks (pre-amp outs) which go to one side of the amp and on the other side of the amp their is another set of wires which go directly to your speaker wires at the harness. Nice Boost in clarity and volume! Note: I also found some nice grounds up under the dash for the Amp and and the Sub. You also have to remember that you must run separate power sources for both the sub and the amp from the engine bay. You can choose direct battery power with and in-line fuse or as I did, tap the fuse box using the add a circuit product by adding an additional fuse-able circuits. I tapped the radio fuse with another 10 amp fuse and the accessory power outlet (cigarette lighter) with an additional 15 amp fuse. The radio head unit also has a 15 amp behind it. You must run these additional power sources through the firewall. I pushed the wires through the hole from where the hood release cable runs through which is above the foot rest pad on the drivers side. Challenging!

Radio Harness
For the plug and play after-market harness which plugs into the OEM harness I had to consider two things. 1) The extra features on the Navigation radio. 2) The Can-Bus system in the 2nd generation Cruisers.
Therein, I purchased: Metra XSVI-6502-NAV The XSVI Interface series provides a 12V accessory power output that uses data control signals instead of conventional power signals. The harness enables you to retain accessory power and not interfere with warning chimes for such things likes “keys in ignition’, “lights on” etc.)
The harness also provides external accessory power (12 volt 10 amp), navigation outputs, vehicle speed sense), VSS, parking brake sensor, and reverse signals for a back-up camera. Wiring is the ultimate challenge making sure to match all the colors and taping off un-needed ones.(Steering wheel control wires)

Problems:
Running all the extra wires, (harness adapter, sub RCA out, amp RCA outs, amp speaker wires back to the harness and the camera RCA wire) make the task of fitting all of this behind the double din radio extremely difficult. Therein, CUTTING THE PLASTIC BEHIND the radio I found was necessary to make it all fit in a tight squeeze. The black panel in the below in the back of the opening I removed which gave me an additional 3” to tuck the wires.

Back-up Camera:

Rockville RBC6C Chrome IR Night Vision Car License Plate Backup Camera Usually a $60.00 and up item, I nailed one on E-Bay for $39.99. The camera has a RCA jack that goes to the back of the camera output in back of the radio and positive/negative wires which I spliced into the reverse light. I also had to run a wire from the positive wire on the reverse light to the reverse trigger wire on the aforementioned radio harness which tells the camera to turn on only in reverse. Nice clear picture!

Dressing Up the Radio Bezel:
Some of you may have heard of a technique known as “Hydro-dipping” It is a process of dipping film printed designs to three-dimensional surfaces. The hydrographic process can be used on metal, plastic, glass, hard woods, and various other materials. I chose a company out in California called Sacramento Hydrographics
http://www.sacramentohydrographics.com
I requested a "Royal Blue Carbon Fiber design". Cost $80.00 for the bezel and a three week turn around to ship back to New York City. I took these three weeks to slowly wire up and position the other components and the very very tedious task of putting the radio wiring harnesses together.

Check out the Hydrographics video

Note: When exchanging the bezel to a double din you must remove and reinstall, the clock, the window switches, and the power button panel for your accessories and plug back in. Removing the bezel from the dash is fairly easy their are two screws behind the top two vents near the bottom. You must have a good eye and plenty of light to see them. Once the two screws are removed its a matter of gently pulling the bezel from the dash.

The new system with the Jensen VX6020 radio and the modified double din bezel looks and sounds amazing!!

2008 Convertible Turbo -lite
2007 Touring N/A Boneyard

Last edited by Danny7627; 19 Mar 2016 at 07:16 pm.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 10:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Double Din Navigation Radio Re-install

That's great. And it looks AWESOME!

Danny7627 likes this.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 06:58 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Very Nice job
Danny7627 and PTpreacher like this.
CHRYSLER VOYAGER 3.8 AWD 1997
CHRYSLER VOYAGER 2.5 CRD 2003
Old 22 Apr 2016, 03:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Did you use a kit like this for the center? Amazon.com: Chrysler Pt Cruiser GPS Navigation Aftermarket Double Din Radio Stereo Bezel Install Installation Kit + Standard Wire Harness + Antenna Adapter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010: GPS & Navigation
Old 22 Apr 2016, 04:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yes that is the exact kit I purchased on Amazon.

However, I did not use the radio harness that came with the kit.

The 06 and up Cruisers have what's known as a "CANBUS" electrical system and I purchased an interface (harness)

Metra Axxess XSVI 6502 Nav Non Amplified Non OnStar Interface Harness 2006 2008 | eBay

"Installing an aftermarket receiver in some late model Chrysler vehicles requires a switched accessory power supply. This Metra XSVI-6502-NAV interface supplies the necessary accessory power lead, plus the other wires you'll need to hook up a new car stereo. The interface also contains the parking brake wire, VSS wire, video trigger wire for back up camera and other wires that you'll need to hook up a navigation receiver."

Their are other brands interfaces(harnesses) that do the same thing but can be quite pricey. I found the meta BRAND XSVI -6502 the most reasonably priced and it works great.

The Bezel fits great but you might find it necessary to cut a bit of plastic away behind the radio to make all the wiring fit behind.

Also, If your not in a hurry you can also customize the bezel before installing

LionPT likes this.

Old 22 Apr 2016, 10:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

does it exist for pt 1 generation pt ?
CHRYSLER VOYAGER 3.8 AWD 1997
CHRYSLER VOYAGER 2.5 CRD 2003
Old 23 Apr 2016, 06:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippov View Post
does it exist for pt 1 generation pt ?
Their are a number of members on the forum with 1st generation Cruisers that have installed a double din un unit. You might want to skim through the sound and security section for double din installations and ask 1st generation owners where or how they bought the bezels or how they made them.

Their are a number of companies out their that used to make them.

If you find one, I would call before placing any orders on the internet as some companies still advertise products such as this and no longer have them. The transaction will process and it will be a Pain in the a** to get the money back CALL FIRST

DAN

Old 23 Apr 2016, 04:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Bought mine here:

PT Cruiser 2001-2005 Custom Painted Double Din Radio Bezel
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
2004 Dream Cruiser / 5 speed Traded for 12 Veloster
2003 GT / Blue / Auto /sold
2001 Touring/ Silver / 5 speed /sold on E Bay
Old 19 Sep 2016, 01:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

"Problems:
Running all the extra wires, (harness adapter, sub RCA out, amp RCA outs, amp speaker wires back to the harness and the camera RCA wire) make the task of fitting all of this behind the double din radio extremely difficult. Therein, CUTTING THE PLASTIC BEHIND the radio I found was necessary to make it all fit in a tight squeeze. The black panel in the below in the back of the opening I removed which gave me an additional 3” to tuck the wires."

how did you cut the plastic behind there? Shave it off? Cut it completely? How difficult was it, and what tool would you recommend to cut it?

Do you have any worry about having the head unit only connected at the front and not having it sit on anything?
Old 19 Sep 2016, 03:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

Here's a picture of mine. I think I just use a pair of metal snips to cut the plastic. Also I cut the bars with a rotary tool. I kept the bottom bar and squeezed it so the radio would sit on it.
2004 Dream Cruiser / 5 speed Traded for 12 Veloster
2003 GT / Blue / Auto /sold
2001 Touring/ Silver / 5 speed /sold on E Bay