PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Why would vent selector change the radio station? (aftermarket radio)

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 May 2016, 07:24 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Why would vent selector change the radio station? (aftermarket radio)

I just installed a new head unit into my '01 PT Cruiser. The only glitch is that now the vent selector often changes the radio station, it switches it to a seemingly random preset:

Link to video showing the issue: https://youtu.be/aPYqVwAdZog

Car: 2001 PT Cruiser, Limited Edition
Head Unit: Sony MEX-n6000bh

Otherwise the unit works fine. It is not my phone, I just installed the head unit and haven't connected my phone. It isn't the remote, no battery and sitting in the box.

Other switches sometimes change the radio station but the vent selector most reliably does it.

Thoughts? Which wires should I pay attention to?
Old 02 May 2016, 08:05 pm
Banned

Default Re: Why would vent selector change the radio station? (aftermarket radio)

There was once when the station changed as you were reaching for the vent selector. Try just waving your hand in front of the stereo without actually touching the dash, or stereo, and see if the station changes. This stereo doesn't maybe have some feature where you can change the station by waving your hand in front of a sensor does it?

I had an aftermarket stereo in a vehicle once that had an IR remote, but whenever the sun hit the IR sensor on the stereo just right, it would change the station.

Last edited by rckstein; 02 May 2016 at 08:14 pm.
Old 03 May 2016, 12:27 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Why would vent selector change the radio station? (aftermarket radio)

Also... this video was taken while parked in my driveway. This glitch doesn't happen every time the vent selector is chosen, but often, certainly enough to be annoying. The other controls on that row (AC/fan speed, temperature, & ventilation) do the same thing, but less frequently. The glitch happened all the way home (30 minute commute), so it wasn't a nearby car causing the issue.

I'm pretty sure there is not a motion sensor on the radio. I'll remove it tomorrow, maybe something is loose or maybe removing it / replacing it will shift some wires so they don't interfere with each other? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by Spaz; 03 May 2016 at 12:30 am.
Old 03 May 2016, 12:37 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Have you considered that your PT might just be possessed. You might have to entertain an exorcism?

I wish you a very Happy Ptin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 03 May 2016 at 12:47 am.
Old 03 May 2016, 06:35 am
Veteran Cruiser

Try removing the face plate & putting it back on.
Also, where did you get power from..??

EDIT: Usually there is a reset button behind the face plate, have you tried that..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost

Last edited by LionPT; 03 May 2016 at 07:33 am.
Old 03 May 2016, 07:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Check the cable to the vent selector. Perhaps it came loose during installation and is contacting the wiring harness plug on the back of the unit. IDK, I'm NOT a mechanic. Just a speculator.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 03 May 2016, 07:38 am
Senior Cruiser

I have a friend (yes, I do have friends, and this one is pretty much a typical Bensonhurst caveman) he bought a new car and it had voice commands for the radio. He kept hitting the button and then anytime he said anything the radio would change. This would lead to him yelling and cursing - which would make the radio change faster and more randomly. Ah, the circle of life.
VsandFords likes this.
Old 03 May 2016, 08:00 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
Try removing the face plate & putting it back on.
Also, where did you get power from..??

EDIT: Usually there is a reset button behind the face plate, have you tried that..??
I'll reset the radio this morning.

For the power it was just the normal connections, harness connected to the radio, then harness plugged into the car. So the yellow wire (constant power) is connected to the yellow wire.

But the ground (black wire)... on my original setup I connected the ground to one of the bolts near the radio - no power. I then connected it to the black wire that clipped to the back of the factory radio - power.

Today over lunch I'll take the radio out, double check the various connections, and reinstall it.
Old 03 May 2016, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Many aftermarket stereo units now come with a connection for steering wheel controls. It is on the back of the unit and often looks like an 1/8th-inch stereo headphone port. But it may be different for different brands and models.

If this control was somehow connected to something else, you could well see the symptoms you are experiencing. Check your stereo installation guide for the location of this steering wheel control connection and see if it's been hooked up to something.
ptprice likes this.
Old 04 May 2016, 09:53 pm
Young Cruiser

OK...

I had the microphone plug in the jack for "remote in" which I am pretty sure is where you plug the steering wheel controls adapter. Same size jack.

So the microphone wire was running through the duct next to the vent selector (it is in the vent itself). Changing the vent selector must have caused some vibration or whatever to register in the wire, which was interpretted by the head unit as "change the station".

After all of this I think I will be returning the head unit. It does not want to play .mp3s off of a flash drive which is a big deal to me since I normally listen to podcasts most of the time. Or I'll put it in my wife's car, she likes how it handles phone calls. I will make sure to get both bluetooth and HD radio in the next head unit I get. It's a shame, other than the flash drive issue it is a great unit. I had a Sony head unit from maybe ten years ago, used it until about a month ago (when I bought the PT Cruiser), that Sony unit handled flash drives great.

Last edited by Spaz; 04 May 2016 at 09:56 pm.