Where to locate Sirius antenna?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By sscanlan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2016, 12:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Where to locate Sirius antenna?

Hey, guys. I've looked but haven't seen any previous posts on this subject. I added a Sirius Stratus 3 radio to my 2002 Touring PT. I mounted the docking station for it on top of my dash,and I ran the power wire down just to the left of the center panel,and have it plugged into the upper cigarette lighter. I ran the antenna wire off to the right underneath the dash cover, up behind the passenger side door pillar molding and ran it all the way to the back of the vehicle by tucking it under the rubber door moldings that touch the headliner.

The end of the antenna has a squarish magnetic base, so I actually installed that under the 3rd brake light cover at the top of the hatchback.Have any of you ever used this kind of Sirius antenna before? If so, where did you route the antenna wire and where did you end up placing the magnetic end? I tried following the Sirius install guidelines, but my reception is still pretty crappy. Maybe the end needs to have a clear line of site skywards? I'd appreciate any input you guys might have.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 22 Jul 2016, 02:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Where to locate Sirius antenna?

In my 2001 Limited, I mounted an OEM Sirius Radio antenna inside the back hatch. There's part of the interior panel that covers the rear wiper motor. It's kind'a flat on top. I drilled a hole in it and mounted the antenna there. I got so-so reception.

I've found that the PT is not very conducive to radio antennas of any type due to the high roof line. In my opinion, the only really ideal spot for the Sirius antenna is on top of the roof in the factory location.
NitroPT likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 22 Jul 2016 at 03:14 pm.
Old 25 Jul 2016, 02:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well, after trying several locations in/around the back hatch area and only getting 1 bar(or none), I decided to pass the antenna end up thru the gap between the top of the hatch lid and the body opening for the hatch lid. I used the magnetic end of the antenna to let it stick flat against the roof, just above the gap between the hatch and the body. There is only about 2" of the antenna lead exposed, and the hatch gasket will seal the wire and prevent water from getting in. It works....I now have 3 bars on the display and the receptions pretty good. I didn't want to mount it externally, but what the hell. My subscription is good for 6 months. If I find that I'm not too enthusiastic about the channel selections after 6 months, I'll just take it all out. No big deal. Thanks for your input Handy_Cruiser!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 28 Jul 2016, 09:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to partyd

My antenna is on top of the dash inside the car, and it works I get the loading message maybe once or twice a week but only for a few seconds
2008 Chrysler Pacifica awd