Advertisements
Aftermarket radio install. Won't turn on

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Danny7627

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Dec 2016, 09:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Aftermarket radio install. Won't turn on

I tried installing an aftermarket radio in a 2008 or cruiser and the unit won't power on. I read you need to splice into a separate power source like the cigarette lighter. I did that and it still doesn't turn in. Any advice? Thanks
Old 08 Dec 2016, 09:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Aftermarket radio install. Won't turn on

Welcome to the forum.

Have you considered contacting the stereo manufacturer's tech line?

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 08 Dec 2016, 09:38 pm
Banned

Welcome to the forum
Old 09 Dec 2016, 08:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snerb View Post
I tried installing an aftermarket radio in a 2008 or cruiser and the unit won't power on. I read you need to splice into a separate power source like the cigarette lighter. I did that and it still doesn't turn in. Any advice? Thanks

Did you have the key on, that outlet only works when the key is turned or car is running.
You might want to check the ground wire also.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 09 Dec 2016, 10:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes the car was on and the cigarette lighter works but the radio still doesn't power on. You think I need to ground it myself? Not just through the harness ground? I'm think this cheap radio isn't working
Old 09 Dec 2016, 10:45 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm not sure what system you are installing and what features your new radio requires but before splicing into the OEM radio harness you may want to consider a 'plug and play" after market harness that will plug into the oem harness.

Your car does have the "CANBUS" I would definitely recommend paying a little extra for the harness with the canbus adapter. Metra, PAC and others are available.

"The CANbus network allows data from all the sensors and computers to circulate around the car at all times. Each computer transmits all its sensor and programming information constantly—as many as 2000 signals are floating around the network at any time, whether they're being requested or not.
At the same time, each ECU "listens" to the network to pluck out pieces of information it may need to carry out its work. There is no central hub or routing system, just a continuous flow of information that's always available to the ECUs".

Good Luck
Carnut likes this.

2008 Convertible Turbo -lite
2007 Touring N/A Boneyard
Old 09 Dec 2016, 01:08 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny7627 View Post
I'm not sure what system you are installing and what features your new radio requires but before splicing into the OEM radio harness you may want to consider a 'plug and play" after market harness that will plug into the oem harness.

Your car does have the "CANBUS" I would definitely recommend paying a little extra for the harness with the canbus adapter. Metra, PAC and others are available.

"The CANbus network allows data from all the sensors and computers to circulate around the car at all times. Each computer transmits all its sensor and programming information constantly—as many as 2000 signals are floating around the network at any time, whether they're being requested or not.
At the same time, each ECU "listens" to the network to pluck out pieces of information it may need to carry out its work. There is no central hub or routing system, just a continuous flow of information that's always available to the ECUs".

Good Luck
That's a pretty good explanation of CANbus, thanks
Old 09 Dec 2016, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was trying to avoid buying the Canbus adaptor because in a different old thread the guy said to just splice into the cig lighter and it should work.