• 2 Post By VsandFords
  • 1 Post By Sinbad
  • 1 Post By Sinbad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2016, 03:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default CD Changers......

Had a trawl through search but didn't have any luck so..... couple of questions

1) will any make of CD Changer plug in the back of the original CD/Cassette/Radio?

2) Do I need a specific cable or adaptor at the car end?

3) Specifically I'm looking for a CD changer that will be able to use CD/R and/or CD/RW, as the original leaves me with just shop bought CD's (which is a PITA)
Any recommends..?

4) I'm open to suggestions on wiring the OEM set up to take USB or audio in (ie, from my phone) - but I don't want anything hanging out the front or so on - I like the "original" look of the unit

Have at it
Old 14 Dec 2016, 03:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: CD Changers......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
Had a trawl through search but didn't have any luck so..... couple of questions

1) will any make of CD Changer plug in the back of the original CD/Cassette/Radio?

2) Do I need a specific cable or adaptor at the car end?

3) Specifically I'm looking for a CD changer that will be able to use CD/R and/or CD/RW, as the original leaves me with just shop bought CD's (which is a PITA)
Any recommends..?

4) I'm open to suggestions on wiring the OEM set up to take USB or audio in (ie, from my phone) - but I don't want anything hanging out the front or so on - I like the "original" look of the unit

Have at it
1) No, the inputs on the back of the stock stereo heads are unique to Chrysler. If a 2001, it has a round plug. 2002 thru 2005 use the square plug. And 2006 and up still use the square plug but the wiring in the plug is different.

2) I don't think anyone made an adapter to use an aftermarket CD changer on the 1st Gen PT oval face stereos. And if they did, they were bad expensive and defeat the purpose of keeping the OEM stereo.

3) CD changers are outdated technology. You should consider an mp3 device where you can have hundreds of your favorite songs rather than a few dozen.

4) Luckily, there is a fix for your solution. Many of the OEM oval face stereos will accept an after market iPod adapter. This is especially true of the older style iPod adapters. And with these, you can just plug a blue tooth dongle to the end. This gives you blue tooth music streaming to your OEM stereo head. I have this very setup in my PT right now and used it in my last two PT's as well. It works great with most oval stereos except the ones with CD changers built into them. I've also recently found that these adapters can draw the battery down if the PT isn't driven for a month or so.

Also, you may want to check this out along with the provided links. It's my multiplexer setup in my GT.

2005 PT GT stock stereo crapped out

This setup will allow you to play music directly from your phone. You can also stream Pandora which is free if you have unlimited data on your phone.

And here's my install of an adapter on an oval faced stereo like yours. This should be the same on a 2002 thru 2005 PT.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...t-adapter.html
VsandFords and Sinbad like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 14 Dec 2016 at 04:05 pm.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 04:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have a 12 disc changer in the shop that I pulled out of our 94 Nissan Quest when we sold it about a year and a half back. It tied into the antenna lead and you would tune the radio to a certain frequency like 89.2. Like Handy said, it's outdated but, if you are interested in a used Pioneer, let me know.
Handy_Cruiser and Sinbad like this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 15 Dec 2016, 02:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
I have a 12 disc changer in the shop that I pulled out of our 94 Nissan Quest when we sold it about a year and a half back. It tied into the antenna lead and you would tune the radio to a certain frequency like 89.2. Like Handy said, it's outdated but, if you are interested in a used Pioneer, let me know.

A kind offer mate, but Germany might be a lot of hassle...
VsandFords likes this.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 02:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks for the input

Well I looked at the mass of wires and thought........ nah

For 15 miserable Euros, I'll give this a whirl - it allows me to jump tracks (which is about all I'm interested in really) and should sit quietly out of the way in the ciggie lighter.

If it works well, I'll let you know.

If it's crap......... I'll keep schtum
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 12:33 am
Young Cruiser

OEM, or possibly an Alpine CD changer with adapter. Alpine made a lot of OEM head units, including the one in my old car ('99 Honda Accord) and per the following thread, possibly the head units for the PT Cruiser:

Audio specs

For my Accord I installed an Alpine CD changer in the trunk, worked great with the factory head unit.

When I got my '01 PT Cruiser there was an Alpine CD changer under the front seat though I don't know what head unit the prior owner was using (when I bought it there was a tape deck from a Jeep).