PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Security light on?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2017, 04:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Security light on?

02 pt touring, 4 cyl auto. Car had been setting for about 4 months, then finally got it running with a new crank sensor.shut it down for a few to run in a store, came out, and no crank. No start. The red security light remains on. No flashing. I've read about the skim... Is it possible to unhook the Skim and order a reman computer? I dislike chip keys anyways. Or would it still require a chip key? I've read on here that a reman computer that doesn't read a skim code than it doesn't require a chip key. Also, I've attempted to unlock doors with the hatch, to no prevail. Also, upon turning the key to on, the pump doesn't prime. The relays don't appear to be an issue.. thanks
Old 11 Feb 2017, 05:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Security light on?

First thing I would suggest is having a battery load test done. Having the PT Cruiser sit for weeks is not good for the battery.

I see from your previous posts that it would crank but not start in December. What was done to make it not crank anymore?

Is your engine light on? If so what are the engine trouble codes? Make sure you do this before removing the battery cables for any reasons.
Old 12 Feb 2017, 07:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
First thing I would suggest is having a battery load test done. Having the PT Cruiser sit for weeks is not good for the battery.

I see from your previous posts that it would crank but not start in December. What was done to make it not crank anymore?

Is your engine light on? If so what are the engine trouble codes? Make sure you do this before removing the battery cables for any reasons.
Fully charged the battery, but still nothing. We put in a new crank sensor and it ran fine. But upon shutting it down, wouldn't crank. No engine light. However the red security light stays lit.
Old 12 Feb 2017, 08:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

My main question is, suppose I buy a remanufactured computer for it. If I remove the skim, will it require skim upon installing the new computer?
Old 12 Feb 2017, 11:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The 2001 & 2002 PT Cruisers have a common problem of the wire harness from the crankshaft sensor to the PCM dropping down and rubbing on the axle burning out the wires. Check to see if this might be the issue.

"During normal operation, the Theft Alarm / Immobilizer Light will come on for three seconds immediately after the ignition switch is turned on for a bulb check. Afterwords, if the bulb remains on, this indicates a problem with the electronics. If the bulb begins to flash after the bulb check, this indicates that an invalid key has been used to start the vehicle. Both of these conditions will result in the engine being shut off after two seconds of running. Keep in mind that a key which has not been programmed is also considered an invalid key even if it is cut to fit the ignition lock cylinder for that vehicle.

I would suggest checking to see if you have any blown ignition fuses including the ASD fuse.
wingman55 likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 12 Feb 2017 at 11:07 am.
Old 12 Feb 2017, 02:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
The 2001 & 2002 PT Cruisers have a common problem of the wire harness from the crankshaft sensor to the PCM dropping down and rubbing on the axle burning out the wires. Check to see if this might be the issue.

"During normal operation, the Theft Alarm / Immobilizer Light will come on for three seconds immediately after the ignition switch is turned on for a bulb check. Afterwords, if the bulb remains on, this indicates a problem with the electronics. If the bulb begins to flash after the bulb check, this indicates that an invalid key has been used to start the vehicle. Both of these conditions will result in the engine being shut off after two seconds of running. Keep in mind that a key which has not been programmed is also considered an invalid key even if it is cut to fit the ignition lock cylinder for that vehicle.

I would suggest checking to see if you have any blown ignition fuses including the ASD fuse.
The harness has actually been replaced due to an engine fire about 8 months ago. The harness has some chaffing but is ok. It ran fine with the new crank sensor. But upon leaving a store, wouldn't start back. Now when I turn the key, there is no fuel pump priming noise, but everything works as it should. All the fuses are A-OK. But the red security light stays on constant. I unplugged the skim and the light went off but still no crank no start. I'm wanting to know if I unplug the skim, order a remanufactured computer, install without the skim, would it effect running? Or will it still require the skim
Old 12 Feb 2017, 05:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orians_belt View Post
The harness has actually been replaced due to an engine fire about 8 months ago. The harness has some chaffing but is ok. It ran fine with the new crank sensor. But upon leaving a store, wouldn't start back. Now when I turn the key, there is no fuel pump priming noise, but everything works as it should. All the fuses are A-OK. But the red security light stays on constant. I unplugged the skim and the light went off but still no crank no start. I'm wanting to know if I unplug the skim, order a remanufactured computer, install without the skim, would it effect running? Or will it still require the skim
With the Skim module plugged in does the locks work? We need to know if the Skim module is still communicating with the PCM.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 12 Feb 2017 at 06:36 pm.
Old 12 Feb 2017, 09:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
With the Skim module plugged in does the locks work? We need to know if the Skim module is still communicating with the PCM.
Yes sir. The FOB unlocks and locks. Beeps upon locking. And I attempted unlocking all doors from the rear hatch but no prevail
Old 12 Feb 2017, 09:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orians_belt View Post
Yes sir. The FOB unlocks and locks. Beeps upon locking. And I attempted unlocking all doors from the rear hatch but no prevail
You are using the same ignition key each time you go to start the engine?

Have you checked for any engine trouble codes with an OBDII scan tool?

If you are using the same ignition key I would suggest trying to reset the SKIM module. I would put a battery charger on the battery, turn on the ignition switch to the "On" position for two (2) hours, turn the ignition switch to the "Off" position, take the battery charger off the battery, and then see if it resets the SKIM.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 12 Feb 2017 at 09:23 pm.
Old 16 Feb 2017, 07:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
You are using the same ignition key each time you go to start the engine?

Have you checked for any engine trouble codes with an OBDII scan tool?

If you are using the same ignition key I would suggest trying to reset the SKIM module. I would put a battery charger on the battery, turn on the ignition switch to the "On" position for two (2) hours, turn the ignition switch to the "Off" position, take the battery charger off the battery, and then see if it resets the SKIM.
I'll give it a go, I'll let Yuns know if this helps