Mopar Factory Subwoofer review

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Aug 2017, 07:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Mopar Factory Subwoofer review

Here's the installation instructions from my Dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ec1g4dts5d...tions.pdf?dl=0

It shows the Gen1 for where to get the power from, but on my Gen2 the socket is a little lower in the front of the console, but there was plenty of wire with the harness to reach it. But it shouldn't be a big deal if you have to splice on some additional.

On the instructions, on page 3 figure 12 item B where it shows to use a small screw to hold the screen, I though the screw was kind of flinky so I used a couple of pop rivets, worked much better IMO.
NitroPT likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 13 Aug 2017 at 07:54 pm.
Old 14 Aug 2017, 01:35 am
Cool Cruiser

The sub requires two Power wires, One is switched, and one is constant. The constant should always have power and will not drain the system. The switched one is what is connected to your radio power wire and turns the sub and amp on.

05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 14 Aug 2017, 04:22 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks rskstein!

Yep. I bought it from Cass.

I ran a little more wire and tapped into the red wire of the cigarette lighter. The Gen 2 cigarette lighter is a switched source. The gain is about a quarter turn past the lowest setting. I pressed the screen on and held it down with 2 screws. I also added some speaker cloth. It looks pretty good.

I had some old Bazooka 8" paper coned subs lying around. Unfortunately, it was about a 1/4" too deep (really tight enclosure).

I was getting a little rattling, but a little more material around the speaker gasket resolved that.

All is well and I'm happy with the outcome. Well almost... I chipped the cigarette lighter plastic a bit while trying to remove it.

Thanks again everyone!
rckstein and rcktpwrd like this.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 04:06 pm
Young Cruiser

I've done three of these so far from Cass on 1 Gen PTs (2001-2005). Great upgrade to the stock system, however...

It may exaggerate some of the other weakness in the audio system.

Speakers are my first attack. C-pillar speakers tend to be "Premium" in all but the plainest of PTs, so they can be ignored. Front door and dash are readily available at pick-n-pull lots. Look for the markings on the back indicating Premium and make the swap.

Also, the common stock head units are not particularly strong or clean. I've had best results when I've scored a better head unit as some have more power without the distortion. The amplifiers in the in-dash 6-disc (RBS) and GPS Nav (RB1) are much better. While they may be hard to find at your local pick-n-pull, regular visits and peaking in other MOPAR vehicles might improve your chances.

Back to the sub...turn the gain all the way down and recognize that this kit IS NOT for shaking windows in the hood.

Bob in Liberty, MO