PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mopar Factory Subwoofer review

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Mar 2017, 06:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Mopar Factory Subwoofer review

I just bought the mopar sub from Cass off of ebay. Just received it this morning and just wrapped up installing it. I have a Sony MEX XB1000BT head unit with RCA sub-out jacks.

The box arrived in once piece with adequate packing. The Sub came prebuilt in a hard molded plastic enclosure with the grill, mounting hardware, and wires separate. The grill had extra packing to ensure it wasn't bent and is made of metal with a foam ring around where the opening would be.

I removed the interior per the instructions and proceeded to use a dremmel tool to grind away the plastic fasteners holding the map pocket box on. Once they were almost gone, a flat head between the box and panel exasperated them with a snap. I then used the dremmel to grind down the stubs left and threw away the map pocket box.

Installing the enclosure was straight forward, the brackets attached to the threads already in the enclosure and fit snugly. Bolted the bottom into the floor as per the instructions, then drilled a pilot hole for the top two mounting screws, then drilled in the tapping screws. The enclosure was mounted with ease.

I ran the wiring as per the instructions then fished them behind the radio. I then proceeded to splice in the wires into the after market harness for my aftermarket radio. Then reinstalled the radio with all the sub connections made.

After messing with sound settings on my head unit I got the sub working and thumping.

The uncalibrated thumping gave me a headache so I didn't listen for very long before shutting it down. Once it was tuned right. I had bass for days. The sound was not of the highest quality, but given the circumstances I'd say it is very good. The speaker caps out very quickly and is not going to rattle any windows, but It does fill in the lows very well. I will have to upgrade the speaker it's self later down the road, but for now I am happy with the result. I will have a 6 hour road trip back to college at the end of the week to listen to it more.

5/5 stars for what I paid for.

05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 10 Apr 2017, 10:39 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Mopar Factory Subwoofer review

After a few weeks with the Sub I am happily enjoying the sound. I have dialed the sound to -5dbs for me and -7dbs when other people get in the car. Then I activate my "mega bass" button for when I want to rock out to a good song. The sound from the sub fills the lows just like how I want, and thumps to the beat with just enough force to feel it, but not too much to rattle parts off the car. With the aftermarket head unit, the fine tuning allows me to enjoy the sub to it's full potential. I highly recommend It for anyone who has replaced the factory radio with one that has sub controls. The speaker quality itself is not of the highest quality, and a shallow mount sub speaker is going on the birthday list to enable less popping and cracking at high volumes. For those who won't thump loudly, it is not necessary.

There is only 2 downsides I have noticed.
1: When trying to sit at a campfire and sit in the hatch with music playing, with the sub being right there, I had to turn it basically off to hear the music without a direct earful of bass, bass, and nothing but the bass.
2: during the installation part of the metal screen has to basically press fit over a circle in the panel, which is shown in the pictures to fit over and need a screw to hold in place. My metal mesh screen did not have enough clearance and made it nearly impossible to flush the metal screen with the opening side you can see, so there is a gap at the bottom side of the opening in the panel. I was able to push it down around the circle part, but it was difficult and was snug, but not far enough to use a screw to hold in place. the metal is stiff enough I was unable to bend it open to fit better. The awkward placement of the circle made it impossible to brace properly to force it down.
makes the final product look a bit sloppy, but I ain't parading the sub's screen very much, so It will suffice for me.

05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 10 Apr 2017, 10:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Nice write up

The sub is in a location for improved sound quality overall for the front driver and passenger. Like most cars opening the hatch lowers the sound quality considerably.
What I have done for customers in the past is to install a pair of potable box speakers switched full range output on the rear for the "beach sound" entertaining?

If you want to improve the bass response of the MOPAR clone "kit" replace the speaker with something a little more in-tune with your listening style. Just watch the specification if you are still using the factory head unit which is very anemic for power output and or that booger size amp that comes with the "kit".

I bypassed the amp using a 2 Channel Line Out Converter LC2i and then a nice little amp I had laying around.

The end result was a nice tailed sound quality in the low frequency and yes I can shake rattle and roll everything in the PT if I wanted to. But the sound m ix is not realistic and "ricer" or "low rider"sounding. The box VAS is just to small for much load solid "punch".

An upgrade sub-woofer for the MOPAR sub woofer box.

Old 11 Apr 2017, 01:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitD77 View Post
After a few weeks with the Sub I am happily enjoying the sound. I have dialed the sound to -5dbs for me and -7dbs when other people get in the car. Then I activate my "mega bass" button for when I want to rock out to a good song. The sound from the sub fills the lows just like how I want, and thumps to the beat with just enough force to feel it, but not too much to rattle parts off the car. With the aftermarket head unit, the fine tuning allows me to enjoy the sub to it's full potential. I highly recommend It for anyone who has replaced the factory radio with one that has sub controls. The speaker quality itself is not of the highest quality, and a shallow mount sub speaker is going on the birthday list to enable less popping and cracking at high volumes. For those who won't thump loudly, it is not necessary.

There is only 2 downsides I have noticed.
1: When trying to sit at a campfire and sit in the hatch with music playing, with the sub being right there, I had to turn it basically off to hear the music without a direct earful of bass, bass, and nothing but the bass.
2: during the installation part of the metal screen has to basically press fit over a circle in the panel, which is shown in the pictures to fit over and need a screw to hold in place.My metal mesh screen did not have enough clearance and made it nearly impossible to flush the metal screen with the opening side you can see, so there is a gap at the bottom side of the opening in the panel. I was able to push it down around the circle part, but it was difficult and was snug, but not far enough to use a screw to hold in place. the metal is stiff enough I was unable to bend it open to fit better. The awkward placement of the circle made it impossible to brace properly to force it down.
makes the final product look a bit sloppy, but I ain't parading the sub's screen very much, so It will suffice for me.
If I remember correctly, when I installed the sub in my PT and I got to that part, I pushed the metal screen down tight and used a couple of pop rivets on the plastic circle to secure it.

I like the factory sub
wingman55 likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 11 Apr 2017 at 01:51 pm.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 10:58 am
Young Cruiser

Hi!

I bought one of these off of eBay over a year ago and I just got around to installing it.

As mentioned, the sub should be replaced. The internal amp introduces distortion as soon as you increase the gain. An external amp would resolve that.

Question: For a 2007, what switched power source (wire) can I tap into? The cigarette lighter is in a different location that the 2001 - 2005.

I only paid $80 IIRC. The harness alone is worth that.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 11:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTCrews View Post
Hi!

I bought one of these off of eBay over a year ago and I just got around to installing it.

As mentioned, the sub should be replaced. The internal amp introduces distortion as soon as you increase the gain. An external amp would resolve that.

Question: For a 2007, what switched power source (wire) can I tap into? The cigarette lighter is in a different location that the 2001 - 2005.

I only paid $80 IIRC. The harness alone is worth that.
You got one at a real good price

You should tap into the cigarette lighter socket at the front of the console near the 2 front cupholders.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 13 Aug 2017, 03:43 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
You got one at a real good price

You should tap into the cigarette lighter socket at the front of the console near the 2 front cupholders.
Yeah... That's most likely what I will do. I will have to run an additional length of wire.

Is it pretty easy to get to? Do you know which wire?

I will try to get to it now. I have a wiring diagram I can check as well.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 13 Aug 2017, 06:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTCrews View Post
Yeah... That's most likely what I will do. I will have to run an additional length of wire.

Is it pretty easy to get to? Do you know which wire?

I will try to get to it now. I have a wiring diagram I can check as well.
You shouldn't have to run any additional wire, the kit comes with everything.

Did you get yours from Cass? Did you not get the instructions?

If not, I've still got mine, it may just take me a while to find them and I can email them to you.

I sure would like to know how many of these Cass originally got, how many he has sold over the years, and how many he has left? He must have gotten a container of them. But they work great!

USMC '82 - '93
Old 13 Aug 2017, 06:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Mopar Factory Subwoofer review

Is that lighter socket a keyed or constant on power source?

When I first wired mine I followed the directions that said to use the lighter socket that has constant power. It would cause a drain and run the battery down if the car sat for several days... I fixed that by installing a rocker switch in the panel with the traction control and rear wiper switches, that way I could turn the sub on and off as I wanted.

Since then I have installed a 5 channel amp to run all the speakers in the car...
NitroPT likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 13 Aug 2017, 06:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
Is that lighter socket a keyed or constant on power source?

When I first wired mine I followed the directions that said to use the lighter socket that has constant power. It would cause a drain and run the battery down if the car sat for several days... I fixed that by installing a rocker switch in the panel with the traction control and rear wiper switches, that way I could turn the sub on and off as I wanted.

Since then I have installed a 5 channel amp to run all the speakers in the car...
On the Gen2, the one at the front of the console is on key power and that's the one that the instructions said to tap into.
rcktpwrd and wingman55 like this.

USMC '82 - '93