Advertisements
OEM radio choices?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2017, 06:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default OEM radio choices?

Hi all,

New member here, 2006 Limited 5-speed. Does anyone have a list of all the factory radios available on the Gen2? I'd like to put a MyGig type radio in the PT if there is one that would fit/work. Thanks.
Dave
Old 26 Apr 2017, 08:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: OEM radio choices?

Welcome to the forum

It doesn't really matter what was available as stock if you are going to replace it, does it? Looking at the MyGig info, what makes them so special that you would pick one of those? There are numerous other double din stereos to choose from and several threads on this forum of members that have installed them.

Double Din Navigation Radio Re-install

https://www.infotainment.com/blogs/n...dios-explained

https://www.amazon.com/Chrysler-Navi...n+center+bezel

What you will have to be concerned with is you will need to replace the center bezel with a double din one. And when installing the stereo, depending on the unit you choose, you may have to modify or completely remove the center shelf in the dash that the stock stereo sits on.

Please go to the Welcome New PT Cruiser members section, introduce yourself and tell us about your PT

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 26 Apr 2017 at 08:05 pm.
Old 26 Apr 2017, 09:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just put a new Kenwood in my 2007. If you (or anyone else) wants the factory one, let me know!
Old 27 Apr 2017, 09:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
It doesn't really matter what was available as stock if you are going to replace it, does it?
Well, you answered your own question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
What you will have to be concerned with is you will need to replace the center bezel with a double din one. And when installing the stereo, depending on the unit you choose, you may have to modify or completely remove the center shelf in the dash that the stock stereo sits on.
I don't want to modify anything. I want a PTC specific OEM radio.

To answer your other question, I want a MyGig because of the hard drive. I have one in my other Chrysler and like being able to record CDs while playing them. And I like the simplicity of the touch screen. Doesn't need to be a nav radio.

So my question is simply, what other radios besides REF and RAQ were offered on the Gen 2? I did look at your suggested links but did not find this info.

Edit: To expand the question, if no 'upgrade' radios were offered on the Gen2, are there any MyGig radios from other Chrysler vehicles that are plug and play in the PTC?

Last edited by dgpt; 27 Apr 2017 at 09:57 am.
Old 27 Apr 2017, 10:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpt View Post

To answer your other question, I want a MyGig because of the hard drive. I have one in my other Chrysler and like being able to record CDs while playing them. And I like the simplicity of the touch screen. Doesn't need to be a nav radio.

So my question is simply, what other radios besides REF and RAQ were offered on the Gen 2? I did look at your suggested links but did not find this info.

Edit: To expand the question, if no 'upgrade' radios were offered on the Gen2, are there any MyGig radios from other Chrysler vehicles that are plug and play in the PTC?
All of the MyGig stereos that I find are rectangular in shape (see below pic), those are not going to fit the stock PT center bezel because of the 2 bump outs for the knobs.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 27 Apr 2017, 10:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

So was there no Sat/Nav radio of any kind offered as an option on the Gen2 Cruiser?

The round bumpouts issue I can live with, I can modify a junkyard bezel myself. What I need to know is what (if any) MyGig radios will plug and play in a Cruiser. The issue of high speed/low speed, same connectors, mounting, etc.
Old 27 Apr 2017, 10:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
So was there no Sat/Nav radio of any kind offered as an option on the Gen2 Cruiser?

The round bumpouts issue I can live with, I can modify a junkyard bezel myself. What I need to know is what (if any) MyGig radios will plug and play in a Cruiser. The issue of high speed/low speed, same connectors, mounting, etc.
No stock stereos were offered that was touchscreen or navigation. Just a single or multi-disc.

There are several choices like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Rupse-Chrysle...cruiser+stereo

These will fit the stock bezel and install with no modification to the shelf. However, most all of them ship from China so you have to wait for it. I tried one similar a while back, but it would not hook up correctly to the stock sub that I have in my PT and I was not going to modify the wiring. It also had another defect and the seller agreed to take it back and paid for the return shipping fees. However, if you get one and just don't like it, many times you will be responsible for the return shipping charges to China, which could be equal to or exceed what you paid for the stereo.

USMC '82 - '93
Old 27 Apr 2017, 10:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

First, the MyGig doesn't use the regular NAV bezel for this generation of cars. The face is shorter. You can get an adapter plate to use a MyGig with a Mopar factory NAV bezel for some models. The problem is that Chrysler didn't make a factor NAV bezel for the PT as far as I know. I'm not sure why.

Also, no MyGig is plug and play. There's CANbus programming required to unlock all of the features. However, there are after-market modules you can buy that will unlock all the features and that might make a "slow bus" MyGig compatible with a PT. I've seen examples done in 2005 Dodge Magnums. But I haven't seen or read about doing this in a PT. Even if it does work, the cost for the module, custom bezel and slow bus MyGig unit is going to be more than a good quality aftermarket stereo head. Plus, even if you get the MyGig to work, you are looking at 10-year old technology. Today, a micro-SD card or thumb drive plugged into an aftermarket stereo will out perform the physical hard drive in a My Gig. Plus the aftermarket stereo can have many more features that work and sound much better.

I myself am a big fan of the OEM Chrysler stereos. They work well and you don't have to worry about theft. But when looking at the MyGig option for my 2006 Charger Dayton, I quickly decided that a quality aftermarket system was the way to go. And I'm very glad I did.
Old 27 Apr 2017, 11:50 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:

2 radios were available:
1: Single CD with AUX plug to listen to MP3's from phone.
2: 6 CD/MP3 Player with no AUX plug.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 28 Apr 2017, 01:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Wow. Thanks guys, appreciate the info.

The idea was to do the same thing I did to my 08 T&C: replace the low end radio with a MyGig I picked up for $100 (no nav). It was a straight swap, plug and play, total 15 minutes of work. Very happy with the results.

Didn't realize the PT is a whole different can of worms That being the case, I agree. An aftermarket is the only sensible solution.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.