PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Got my awesome stereo from Crutchfield vs. crap I was going to buy at Best Buy.

Like Tree31Likes
  • 5 Post By eiffel65
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 4 Post By CREWZIN
  • 4 Post By eiffel65
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 2 Post By eiffel65
  • 6 Post By eiffel65
  • 6 Post By eiffel65
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 1 Post By Faulkster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jun 2017, 04:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Got my awesome stereo from Crutchfield vs. crap I was going to buy at Best Buy.

So I have been waiting to put in a nice head unit that plays music from my phone via Bluetooth. I went to Best Buy, took a look, was going to buy a Pioneer head unit over there for a 120 bucks. When it came time to schedule an install, they said one was not available. I went home sad. The next evening I went online, and remember that I have gotten sound stuff before from Crutchfield.com. So I started looking at items there, and needless to say found a really nice JVC head unit for a $100. As well I purchased JVC speakers that were 50% off because I bought the head unit. Anyway I ended up being cheaper getting a head unit and a set of front and rear speakers for the same price as best buy was going to charge me for what I found from Crutchfield customer reviews a crappy unit.

I was very happy.

With my head unit and speakers, they sent a free wire harness (29.99 from best buy), a free plastic sleeve to hold my new radio receiver (almost 40 bucks at Best Buy, and for the speakers they sent a mounting kit that made the speakers really fit and electrical connectors from the stock connection into the speaker, which made installation super easy (all in all I have gotten more that 100 dollars of free install accessories from Crutchfield). So I waited a week for my "Free Shipping" order to come in.

Finally got it in today at about 7 pm. Crutchfield sent me an email a couple of days earlier with the exact install instructions for my PT Cruiser (like how to take the part of the dash that has the stereo apart, which screws to remove, how to remove the plastic door covers fore the speakers, etc) the free instructions were super simple to follow and so I starter to work. Being that I am away from home, I bought a wire stripper, and with my order I also got a set of 15 electrical connectors for around 5 bucks, that were definitely super easy to wire the wire harness from the stock connection to my JVC unit harness. So after about 4-5 hours of slowly following instructions and getting my speakers and JVC head unit plugged in (I was impressed that everything worked on the first try, last time I put in a radio was like 12 years ago and I was skeptical that I could do it correctly). I was so impressed with the quality of the Sound and the ability of the head unit to take the phone calls, play music streaming from my phone, ability to hook up a friend's audio source via aux cable, being able to plug in a usb cable to listen and Control Pandora, So anyways it's 2 am the next morning. I am super excited about my new ability to listen to music in the car.

Here's the price breakdown:

1. at Best Buy I would have gotten a crappy unit for $120 bucks plus almost 264 dollar install (this is 64 for installing the radio, and 100 for installing each front and rear speakers), accessories that cost almost a 100 dollars, so that all in all almost comes to $500, not counting the fact that the speakers that I got were going to run me almost around another $200 from best buy.

2. at Crutchfield I spent 168 bucks: that's for a head unit, all of the installation freebies that were going to be 100 or more at best buy for Free, and rear and front speakers for 50% off.
>Yes, I installed it myself, and I was taking a risk of having it not work, however, the instructions that came with the email and the products made it super easy to plug and play all of my stuff.

Anyways, I am extremely grateful with my ordeal and a wish to listen to my phone. Glad I decided to go with Crutchfield for my endeavor and was able to accomplish everything by myself with ease.

Please share your stories of success or failure about Best Buy vs. Crutchfield self-install here, I'd be really glad to read who's got some other stuff to say.

Thanks, Alex Z.
Upper and Lower Engine Mounts, New Brake Rotors and Pads and Shocks All front and rear, New Water Pump and Timing Belt, New Valve Cover Gasket, Cam timing sensor, air intake tube, PCV Valve and Hose. K & N Air Filter, Modified Air Box, JVC Head Unit and JVC Speakers, Running full synthetic oil, MOPAR Stage I PCM, BOV installed.
Future Upgrades: Rear Altezza Taillights, new shaded headlights, turbo rebuild, big radiator, 3" O2 housing, bigger size exhaust system, Amp and 10" Sub, high temp thermostat, transmission rebuild, oil and turbo lines rebuild, fuel pump/fuel filter replacement

Old 03 Jun 2017, 07:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Got my awesome stereo from Crutchfield vs. crap I was going to buy at Best Buy.

What, no pics

As so many have said, in other threads, pics or it didn't happen
rockandroller likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 03 Jun 2017 at 08:03 am.
Old 03 Jun 2017, 10:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Got my awesome stereo from Crutchfield vs. crap I was going to buy at Best Buy.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 03 Jun 2017 at 10:16 am.
Old 03 Jun 2017, 12:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Allright, I'll send some pictures today soon. Thanks for being very clear.
Upper and Lower Engine Mounts, New Brake Rotors and Pads and Shocks All front and rear, New Water Pump and Timing Belt, New Valve Cover Gasket, Cam timing sensor, air intake tube, PCV Valve and Hose. K & N Air Filter, Modified Air Box, JVC Head Unit and JVC Speakers, Running full synthetic oil, MOPAR Stage I PCM, BOV installed.
Future Upgrades: Rear Altezza Taillights, new shaded headlights, turbo rebuild, big radiator, 3" O2 housing, bigger size exhaust system, Amp and 10" Sub, high temp thermostat, transmission rebuild, oil and turbo lines rebuild, fuel pump/fuel filter replacement

Old 03 Jun 2017, 03:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Crutchfield has always been a class act. When I was kid, my first job outside the family at 14 years old was a job at a Green Light parts store. They also sold stereos, tapes and records too. Though I didn't work there too long (didn't pay enough), I got used to buying my stereo stuff there. But then in the mid-1980's, someone told me about Crutchfield. I found an add in a magazine and called them. They sent me a nice big fat catalog and I couldn't believe all the stuff and the low prices. After that I ordered several nice items from them. The stuff took forever to arrive but was worth it. And even back then, you could call their 1-800 number and talk to someone that could guide your through the installation process and explain exactly what you needed.

Today, Crutchfield is far from the cheapest. Newegg and Amazon often take that prize and have even wider selections. And the best install information is almost always on YouTube and internet forums. But when it comes time to figuring out a difficult install, Crutchfield is still top notch.
eiffel65 likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 03 Jun 2017 at 03:29 pm.
Old 07 Jun 2017, 06:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So I've thrown away the speaker boxes and the next day the trash was hauled away. I have the 6.5's are JVC and my 6 by 8's are also JVC they are not Fancy Speakers. Here are the pics of the new box/unit installed. I also ordered a Mopar Stage 1 PCM today from Cindy at FWDperformance.com and called my local dealer to see if they can my transmission re-learn procedure. They can do it, so I'm super excited to get this in and get this done!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Jun 2017 at 07:55 pm. Reason: Attached picture
Old 07 Jun 2017, 06:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

here's pic 2 of unit in yellow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Jun 2017 at 07:57 pm. Reason: Attaching picture
Old 07 Jun 2017, 06:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

JVC Unit in blue

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (96.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Jun 2017 at 07:56 pm. Reason: attached picture
Old 07 Jun 2017, 07:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiffel65 View Post
JVC Unit in blue
That looks nice

An aftermarket stereo does a cleaner install in a Gen1 than a Gen2 because with the Gen2 the filler plate has the clunky knob blank outs and a basically useless little cubby below the stereo.
eiffel65 likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 20 Jul 2017, 12:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crutchfield has been my go-to for a very long time and they are still worth dealing with for sure.

Agreed on the knob fill-in, but the cubby is the most useful thing about an upgraded deck (that's where my phone lives hehe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
That looks nice

An aftermarket stereo does a cleaner install in a Gen1 than a Gen2 because with the Gen2 the filler plate has the clunky knob blank outs and a basically useless little cubby below the stereo.
rockandroller likes this.