PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Ugrade to an RB1 GPS/NAV Radio?

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2017, 01:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Ugrade to an RB1 GPS/NAV Radio?

I picked up a used RB1 head unit from the local pick-n-pull yesterday. Unit came from a 2005 and I want to install in my 2003.

When connected, I have a high-pitch tone coming through the rear channels.

Is this the amplifier or do I need to visit the dealer to have the radio recognize a different vehicle?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 01:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Ugrade to an RB1 GPS/NAV Radio?

There's no programming required for the US-market oval-faced stereos, the RB1 uses no special amp and it works fine with the amp in an OEM PT subwoofer. I suspect interference over the PCI lead, poor grounding or a problem with the head unit itself.

First, cut the purple PCI wire. Your 2003 PCM is likely not programed to adequately communicate with the RB1. Plus, all it does in a PT is tell the RB1 which brand logo to show during boot up. And default is Chrysler anyway so the PCI wire is not needed. I found that it can screw up certain functions in the RB1 and in some aux adapters as well.

If that doesn't do it, try grounding the Chassis of the stereo unit. I found that one of the leads used on other oval-face stereos for ground is used for accessory data communication on the RB1. Run a wire from a screw on the stereo body out under the hood and temporarily attach it to the negative post on the battery. If this fixes the issue, you can find a more elegant place to provide the bonding.
rckstein and dougs like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 26 Aug 2017 at 01:50 pm.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 02:05 pm
Young Cruiser

I'll give that a try. Thanks.
Old 26 Aug 2017, 02:55 pm
Young Cruiser

That's worked perfectly.

Sweet deal for $11.50 plus tax on half-price pick-n-pull day.

Now to find a map disc.

Thanks again.
Old 02 Sep 2017, 08:40 pm
Young Cruiser

Hey Handy,

Quick observation. Got a NAV (bad) disc today and it allowed me to reach previously unavailable diagnostic menu options. After resetting the unit, the default on the display reads JEEP.

Think if I reconnect the cut lead for a moment I can get the Chrysler wing back?

Thanks in advance.

Bob in Liberty MO
wingman55 likes this.
Old 03 Sep 2017, 12:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSnyder View Post
Hey Handy,

Quick observation. Got a NAV (bad) disc today and it allowed me to reach previously unavailable diagnostic menu options. After resetting the unit, the default on the display reads JEEP.

Think if I reconnect the cut lead for a moment I can get the Chrysler wing back?

Thanks in advance.

Bob in Liberty MO

Those disc often contain a system update for the stereo. Yours was likely intended for a Jeep. You could try the PCI wire to see if that works. If not, it will likely take a newer disc with an update specific to Chrysler. That would be my guess anyway. Please let us know if the PCI wire does the job and if the logo stays or not.
Old 03 Sep 2017, 12:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hi,
Question: (Not entirely related to the above): On the Second Gen dash, to remove the center stack plastic front panel, I see there are two Phillips head screws, one in each of the round vents. Are these magnetized? Otherwise, how do you reinsert the screws thru the vent louvers and try to find the hole in near-dark conditions? Thanks!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.
Old 03 Sep 2017, 01:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs View Post
Hi,
Question: (Not entirely related to the above): On the Second Gen dash, to remove the center stack plastic front panel, I see there are two Phillips head screws, one in each of the round vents. Are these magnetized? Otherwise, how do you reinsert the screws thru the vent louvers and try to find the hole in near-dark conditions? Thanks!
They are not magnetic. I've used both a magnetic screwdriver or a regular screwdriver with long needle nose pliers to grab the screws. A good magnetic screwdriver seems to work best.
rckstein and dougs like this.
Old 03 Sep 2017, 03:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
They are not magnetic. I've used both a magnetic screwdriver or a regular screwdriver with long needle nose pliers to grab the screws. A good magnetic screwdriver seems to work best.
Thanks! I'll give it a try...
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.
Old 03 Sep 2017, 03:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs View Post
Hi,
The key is you don't have to completely remove them to remove the center bezel, they can stay in the bezel (see below pic). They just need to be unscrewed enough to clear the screw insert in the dash. Once you do it a couple of times, you will then know how much to unscrew them and they will remain with the bezel.

dougs and Handy_Cruiser like this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93

Last edited by rckstein; 03 Sep 2017 at 05:45 pm.