PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What is the stealership smoking? (Key issues)

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Oct 2017, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question What is the stealership smoking? (Key issues)

Morning.

So, I you had read my intro, youd know ive got an 03 PT/GT but got my start in the PT world with an 06 PT.
And heres the story, got the 06 first but found a 03 GT shortly after.

At this point, I keep the GT, and my aunt gets the 06. The only issue with the 06 is the fact that it only has one key (grey key). So prior to finding the GT, I had ordered keys from keylessoption. Ive used them before for other makes and not had any problems.

Well, the keys come in and i find out that I have to have 2 keys to program another. So I think "no big deal, I take one to the stealership to get it programmed and Im good." Never got a chance to get it programmed, so the blank goes to my aunt with the title.

She goes to the stealership monday to have it cut and programmed.
Its cut and they attempt to program it. She goes to leave and it only runs for a few seconds. Oops its not programmed, im thinking well i bet they tried to use the program instructions that came with the key. Screwing up a $20 key isnt too terrible, but they tell her to come back Thursday when somebody who knows something will be in.

She goes back Thursday and they still cant program the key or any other key. They even say they called Chrysler and cant figure it out.
Heres the part that kills me, They cant program a key for it and when she asks for her options, they say......"dont lose your key"

Really? dont lose the key or theyll have to replace the module, keys and reprogram...
Seriously, wtf?

I think ive come across things saying I can only program 8 keys or something, but the dealership shouldnt be bound by that right? They cant just have a limit for the life of the car right?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
69 Barracuda 440 4bbl
plus a long list of vehicular toys
Old 06 Oct 2017, 12:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: What is the stealership smoking? (Key issues)

Some dealerships pay their service people fairly well compared to other shops. But some don't and some treat their folks badly. In my opinion, it takes just as much or more brains and skill to be a good mechanic as it does to be a doctor or lawyer. Plus you have to be willing to work in hot, uncomfortable and dirty conditions. Those kinds of quality folks will not stick around in a shop if the pay is low or if they are not treated well.

Never assume someone with a certification has more experience than you do. And never assume someone with more experience knows more that you do. This applies to dealership service departments just like it does to everything else.
Old 06 Oct 2017, 12:56 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Old 06 Oct 2017, 01:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yep, good people are hard to find and even harder to keep.
But our local dealership has no real "dealer competition", the next options are an over an hour and a half to the north and south, or 3 hours to the west. lol
69 Barracuda 440 4bbl
Old 06 Oct 2017, 01:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudah440 View Post
Yep, good people are hard to find and even harder to keep.
But our local dealership has no real "dealer competition", the next options are an over an hour and a half to the north and south, or 3 hours to the west. lol
Yep.

I grew up in a small isolated rural town. I know the mind set.
Old 06 Oct 2017, 01:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

See if you can get the key cloned...it will basically just be a copy of the other key...not programed. Walmart, Home Depot & a few other places can do it.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Nexus 5X, Nexus 4, Nexus 7 (2013)
Old 06 Oct 2017, 01:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Morning.

So, I you had read my intro, youd know ive got an 03 PT/GT but got my start in the PT world with an 06 PT.

At this point, I keep the GT, and my aunt gets the 06. The only issue with the 06 is the fact that it only has one key (grey key). So prior to finding the GT, I had ordered keys from keylessoption. Ive used them before for other makes and not had any problems.

Well, the keys come in and i find out that I have to have 2 keys to program another. So I think "no big deal, I take one to the stealership to get it programmed and Im good." Never got a chance to get it programmed, so the blank goes to my aunt with the title.

Its cut and they attempt to program it. She goes to leave and it only runs for a few seconds. Oops its not programmed, im thinking well i bet they tried to use the program instructions that came with the key. Screwing up a $20 key isnt too terrible, but they tell her to come back Thursday when somebody who knows something will be in.

She goes back Thursday and they still cant program the key or any other key. They even say they called Chrysler and cant figure it out.
Heres the part that kills me, They cant program a key for it and when she asks for her options, they say......"dont lose your key"

Really? dont lose the key or theyll have to replace the module, keys and reprogram...
Seriously, wtf?

I think ive come across things saying I can only program 8 keys or something, but the dealership shouldnt be bound by that right? They cant just have a limit for the life of the car right?
I see many different incidents happening dealing with the Stealership and it comes down to one thing. The stealership's goal is for everyone to buy a new Chrysler vehicle every 3 years and by reducing the quality of the customer service and restricting the information they give out on vehicle parts they probably are seeing an increase in the purchase of their new vehicles.
Old 06 Oct 2017, 01:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
I see many different incidents happening dealing with the Stealership and it comes down to one thing. The stealership's goal is for everyone to buy a new Chrysler vehicle every 3 years and by reducing the quality of the customer service and restricting the information they give out on vehicle parts they probably are seeing an increase in the purchase of their new vehicles.
That sounds exactly like i would have said...I keep telling purple about the conspiracies, but nobody will listen. That's why my zombie apocalypse shelter has a steeldoor with zigzag bar locks like a safe. It's not my fault nobody believed me. Lol
69 Barracuda 440 4bbl
Old 06 Oct 2017, 01:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Morning.

Seriously, wtf?

The only keys I have for my '06 look like this, I have 2:

I have never had it done, but I have heard that a dealership can program these from the VIN, you just have to show ownership (title, registration, etc.)

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 06 Oct 2017, 02:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The best deal I've found has been a local locksmith.

The guy will come to my home and make keys for my 2nd Gen PT or Dodge Charger for around $80 a pop. And they are not clones. The best deal on those is at Walmart as already mentioned.