Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stereo sounds thin, no bass...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2017, 05:34 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Stereo sounds thin, no bass...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I think it was blaupunkt that we all use to brag about having or labeling the amps and head units back in the day!

The factory stereo systems have gotten much better but even the better ones like Harman Kardon and BOSE still lack that heart stopping bass. I demand the thump......its the "ricer" in me
Yep, Blaupunkt was the fancy name and IIRC all their models were named after cities. We used to get the Beckers and one knobs because they were factory and you could pick them up cheap used from wrecks, stolen cars, etc. Wiring was always a pain and I did a ton of hackery putting those things in old Grand Wagoneers, Dusters, Catalina, and B210 wagon of my friends. Bass was always a necessity, but aftermarket amps and trunk mount subs were de rigueur. For the 'cuda I stuck with the factory am-8 track.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 05:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
am & quad 4, 8 track.
auh, the stereo heady days for me ...when you bought a FM converter, some cheezee 4 band EQ and topped it with original 6x9 Jensen Triac IIs in the rear .
Old 17 Oct 2017, 06:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
You guys are saying the PT has "component" speakers with tweeters in the dash? Do they have any kind of bass bypass hooked up or do they just send full sound/power to the dash? That would be kind of dumb, but it's cheaper so I wouldn't doubt it.
They are tweeters in the dash but you only get a high and mid-range pass filter if you get the factory amp. In that case the door speakers are only handling the mid-range. Otherwise the dash speakers are just wired in parallel with the door speakers. And the dash speakers are putting out the full range as are the door speakers. This the main problem with the non-premium door speakers. With non-amp systems, the cheap speakers with plastic cages do not seem to reproduce much bass. But with the premium speakers, there's all kinds of bass coming through with the full range channel.

For the subwoofer, the factory harness simply puts it in parallel with one of the rear speakers. I can't remember if it's the left or right. The builtin sub amp has a low pass filter that removes the higher frequencies. But even with the factory amp, there doesn't seem to have been a separate channel for the sub like there were in some of the higher end Daimler/Chryslers. It's pretty primitive, but since it's all specifically designed for this specific car, it works well and sounds great.

I'd urge anyone wanting an inexpensive stereo upgrade to install 2001/2002 door speakers in their 2003 thru 2005 PT. If you wonder what's missing from the sound, that's likely going to be it.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 17 Oct 2017 at 06:48 pm.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 12:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Used speakers.....ok?
I understand the concept but really, new speakers are a dime a dozen and there are hundreds of choices now. For the time invested in replacing a speaker the only used speaker I would ever consider and only consider would be>>>

how to fool the amp and over drive the system ,keep the volume sain and the amp may survive
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171017_142132_resize.jpg (78.7 KB, 37 views)
Old 19 Oct 2017, 09:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Went to the Pick n Pull today with the wife and 18 y.o. daughter, turned into a family outing to the junkyard! Found a couple of premium speakers in a couple different '01's and another RAZ CD/cassette out of an '02. among a whole bunch of other stuff, not only for the Cruiser but for my 99 300 also.
I installed the speakers after splicing in the connector for the older speaker, all is good. I now have the bass I was missing and it now sounds much more like I expected.
The old ones were done, the one on the drivers side the voice coil had permanently attached itself to the magnet and the passenger side one was scraping against the magnet "Well there's your problem!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1804[1].jpg (93.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Goonior; 19 Oct 2017 at 09:44 pm.
Old 19 Oct 2017, 11:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonior View Post
Went to the Pick n Pull today with the wife and 18 y.o. daughter, turned into a family outing to the junkyard! Found a couple of premium speakers in a couple different '01's and another RAZ CD/cassette out of an '02. among a whole bunch of other stuff, not only for the Cruiser but for my 99 300 also.
I installed the speakers after splicing in the connector for the older speaker, all is good. I now have the bass I was missing and it now sounds much more like I expected.
The old ones were done, the one on the drivers side the voice coil had permanently attached itself to the magnet and the passenger side one was scraping against the magnet "Well there's your problem!"

I'm glad we could help.

One thing we didn't cover was that Chrysler changed the plugs on the back of the oval-faced stereos in 2002. The 2001 and older Mopars use two flat-looking plugs while the 2002 and newer cars use the larger rectangular plug. The accessory port went from a round "PS1" style plug to the square one. And the antenna went from the standard plug like aftermarkets to a plastic plug that snaps in. You can use either on either type of car as long as you use adapters. But there's a good chance a 2002 or newer stereo will not fit in the 99 model without adapters.
Old 20 Oct 2017, 02:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No worries Handy Cruiser and thanks for all the help..so far. My 99 300 has the adapters for using the 02-up stereo system. It was required when I added factory Sirius to it early last year...
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 21 Oct 2017, 06:14 pm
Young Cruiser

I do believe you'll find the amplifiers in the factory Nav (RB1) and 6-disc Changer (RBQ) head units have much better built-in amplifiers.

In fact, the upgrade kit for the RB1 warns against using less than Premium speakers.

Happy shopping.