PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stereo sounds thin, no bass...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2017, 12:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Stereo sounds thin, no bass...

My recent $100 purchase is not running yet (04 Touring Ed.), but started checking out other things to get an idea of what I need to do once it is running.
Charged up the battery and checked the stereo, among other things, it originally came with a factory single CD player that would not eject the CD and has trouble playing the disc that is presently in there so I replaced it with an RAZ CD/cassette that I pulled from an 02 Cruiser last year at the the Pick n Pull for the Sirius I was installing in my 99 300M, I ended up using an RBP CD/cassette unit for that instead.
The RAZ unit works perfectly (I tested it in the 300 before settling on the RBP), but the speakers sound absolutely awful, I'm NOT a bass head, I like a clean, flat sound, but there seems to be no bass whatsoever in this car. I've listened to all the speakers and none of them seem to be blown although the door speakers seem to be weak.
Any ideas????
While I'm thinking of it. Will speakers from other Chrysler vehicles fit in the doors and are they 2ohm or 4 ohm? The 300 has 2ohm speakers to match the Infinity amp.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by Goonior; 17 Oct 2017 at 12:20 pm.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 01:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stereo sounds thin, no bass...

If like my 2005 GT, the rear speakers are the "premium" speakers with premium stamped on them. But your door speakers will be the little crappy ones in the plastic frames. If you replace those with the OEM premium door speakers from a 2001/2002 PT, it will greatly improve the sound. You will be able to feel the bass on your leg as you drive.

Beyond that, you can add an OEM Mopar subwoofer. It will all be plug and play. There's a guy "Cas" that sells them on eBay. I've bought three of them over the years. I have one still in the box right now. These will add about as much bass as you could want from the stock stereo system. Here's a link:

PT Cruiser 8" Subwoofer 80 watt digital amplifier & crossover Chrysler Speaker | eBay

Other's may chime in that there are better aftermarket solutions. And this is true but you will likely need to replace everything to do it right. Salvage door speakers are about $5 each and the sub is under $150. If you like the stock setup, this is a nice way to make it sound great.

PS: You will need to change the plugs on the harness for the 2001/2002 door speakers. So get those too if you go to the salvage yard. Here's a link to where I do the install in my GT:

The Handy 2005 GT Modification and Upgrade Thread

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 17 Oct 2017 at 01:21 pm.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 01:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh yeah, have that subwoofer saved on my watch list. Something I will probably do down the road, but will most likely try the door speakers first, just to get some decent sound for now...
Another question I have is, is there an amp anywhere in these? If not, I would like to add a small about 100W or so just give it some punch...
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by Goonior; 17 Oct 2017 at 02:16 pm.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 03:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There was a factory amp option for the PT's. But they seem to be extremely rare and are most often found in the special one-off additions. If you find a plastic door speakers as in my photo above, chances are you have no factory amp.

As far as adding an amp goes, you will need to go with aftermarket speakers and at least run new wires to the front speakers. I figure a 100 watt amp is likely going to do very little on a four channel system accept blow out the factory speakers fairly quickly. And as a general rule, everything out from an amp needs to be properly spec'ed for that amp. Also, the little dash speakers are actually tweeters and are hooked up in parallel with the front door speakers. So together, they work as a one "co-axle" speaker. If installing an aftermarket amp and speakers, you will want to bypass those tweeters because you will not want them in parallel with the aftermarket door speakers.

If me, I'd just try the 2001/2002 premium door speakers and see if it fills in what you believe is missing.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 04:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Audiophile and better stereo shops will actually use dash speakers to the advantage of sound deflection off the windshield to help fill the music in and direct it more towards the front seating area. Many will actually replace full range dash speaker with speakers that run higher up the frequency range of sound reproduction to achieve that "crystal clear" sound.

I have never heard anyone except on this forum call separate speakers coaxial?

Lets be clear one of many definition of a co-axial speaker.

Coaxial speakers in automobiles are 2- or 3-way loudspeakers in which the tweeter, or the tweeter and a mid-range driver, are mounted in front of the woofer, partially obscuring it.

Now a "COMPONENT" speaker
A component speaker is a car audio speakers such as separate tweeters and woofers matched for optimal sound quality.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 04:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

You guys are saying the PT has "component" speakers with tweeters in the dash? Do they have any kind of bass bypass hooked up or do they just send full sound/power to the dash? That would be kind of dumb, but it's cheaper so I wouldn't doubt it.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 04:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ok so now back to another thing mention in the is thread...that IMO is not accurate..but hey what can I say IKD ...

You do not need to worry about adding an AMP to most any factory sound system even that system is a BOSE sound system if you use a product from say like ..... *Audio Control. You simply tap into an existing set of full range speakers and the *AC does the rest. The factory amp never see's it as any voltage output. From the *AC as an example LC-2i you can then run any amplifier and speakers you want and pretty much dial them in anyway your want .
Old 17 Oct 2017, 05:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
You guys are saying the PT has "component" speakers with tweeters in the dash? Do they have any kind of bass bypass hooked up or do they just send full sound/power to the dash? That would be kind of dumb, but it's cheaper so I wouldn't doubt it.
I will let other answer that basic question....although you can see it in the FSM wiring .

For me the dash speakers sounded "flat" so I replaced them with component tweeters and used an passive old school cross over.
Fk5 likes this.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 05:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I will let other answer that basic question....although you can see it in the FSM wiring .

For me the dash speakers sounded "flat" so I replaced them with component tweeters and used an passive old school cross over.
I haven't pulled the dash off this thing yet, so I have avoided that section of the FSM. It was on the laptop that was stolen from my house, so... oh well. Passive old school crossover is like a high/low bypass? That is what I was thinking of.

I haven't messed with car stereos since the early 90's. The factory ones have gotten pretty good nowadays my friends aren't coming tot me to stick "BMW one-knobs" (Alpines) and Beckers (Mercedes-Benz) in everything.
Old 17 Oct 2017, 05:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
Passive old school crossover is like a high/low bypass? That is what I was thinking of.

I haven't messed with car stereos since the early 90's. The factory ones have gotten pretty good nowadays my friends aren't coming tot me to stick "BMW one-knobs" (Alpines) and Beckers (Mercedes-Benz) in everything.
I think it was blaupunkt that we all use to brag about having or labeling the amps and head units back in the day!

The factory stereo systems have gotten much better but even the better ones like Harman Kardon and BOSE still lack that heart stopping bass. I demand the thump......its the "ricer" in me
Fk5 likes this.