2008 Can Bus Radio - Aftermarket

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Nov 2017, 04:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 Can Bus Radio - Aftermarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey068 View Post
The wiring isn't difficult especially if you buy the harness that plugs into the factory harness. I just did mine and it only took about 30 minutes. The most time consuming part is splicing the stereo wires to the adapter harness.
Going to do the factory install look that means splice solder and shrink wrap. Cut the bezel opening to fit the 6.2" touch screen and then use touch up paint on the cut edge. Man I am anal retentive so everyone I know tells me.... PERFECTION comes at a price but it is really worth it.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 12:09 pm
Young Cruiser

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished install.

Dewey
Old 02 Dec 2017, 05:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

I guess I'll have to wait until Christmas.... yep, I told the kids what I wanted. I did a lot of research and Crutchfield wanted to sell me a Kenwood but I went to amazon and decided on the Pioneer. Better reviews and bang for the buck through amazon. I already got a spare radio center stack bezel and installed the Metra adapter for the 6.2 inch touch screen. Got the center bezel from the U-Pull Pontiac for a whopping $5.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by My02RedRide; 03 Dec 2017 at 07:50 am.
Old 02 Dec 2017, 10:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

I did a double din install a couple of years ago. Jensen Navigation radio with back up camera., added amp and under seat sub, and new front Pioneer speakers.

I still look forward to getting lost in the tunes when I'm driving!

2008 Convertible Turbo -lite
2007 Touring N/A Boneyard
Old 03 Dec 2017, 07:49 am
Cool Cruiser

Perfect install Danny..... really Impressive. I have the Boston Accoustics under seat amp that I want to retain. I bought the PAC CHY4 interface for the new radio. I need to know from you what wires get connected to what. I have a back up camera already installed and need to know about the back up wire signal on the radio on what to connect that to? The rear camera is connected to the back up light wire at the left rear tail light to power that but what about the wire on the back of the radio? Sure could use your help.
Old 03 Dec 2017, 11:11 am
Cool Cruiser

Difficult to advise fully without seeing what you have. I used a different can-bus harness called Metra XSVI-6502-NAV but I'm sure its relatively the same as your PAC CHY4. These harnesses enable you to retain accessory power and not interfere with warning chimes for such things likes “keys in ignition’, “lights on” etc.) This harness plugs into the OEM factory plug

Then, basically, lay the can-bus harness next to your new radio harness and begin to match all the colored wires together.

My camera had an RCA which plugged into the back of my radio. Also, a red wire for power. The Pac harness should have a red accessory or "camera trigger" wire and that will be the power for the camera. Their will also be a black wire of course and that will be the ground.( You can attach the black wire in at the harness or find a good ground near the back. Remember, you will have run all these wires from the back of the car to the radio to the front. You may have to buy RCA extension. Once the RCA was attached to the back of my Radio the reverse signal is activated therein,when in reverse the camera is activated.

Also on my Jensen VX6020 radio it has pre-amp out puts for front and rear speakers and a mono output for the sub-woofer all in the back of the radio.

So again, Its a bit difficult to guide you without laying it all out and seeing your radio and your set up.

You may find that you have some extra wires from the Pac harness more than likely these will be (Steering wheel control wires) for those Chrysler cars equipped with that option (Just tie them off)

This was a job that took patience and fortitude. You Tube and Crutchfield guides on the web are your friends on this one lol

The wiring, I found the most difficult. You may want to check out the forum the thread I posted Double Din Navigation Radio Re-install

Old 03 Dec 2017, 12:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

You had to cut the horizontal (instrument panel colored) brace out so the radio would fit in? Is there a metal brace behind that also or just the plastic you see??
Old 04 Dec 2017, 09:08 am
Cool Cruiser

Once again, every install will be a bit different depending on how many accessory wires you are running behind the radio. Patience was the key to this one. Cutting and checking fit. SLOW AS YOU GO. This is a tight fit!

I cut the horizontal plastic tan bar exposing the metal bar underneath
The radio was still be supported on the sides and from the bottom from the now exposed metal bar.

Their is also a black plastic panel at the very back behind the radio where I cut a hole to tuck wires.

You may find that you may not need to cut at all depending on how many wire you are running behind the radio. Attach wires, mount radio Test bezel fit Repeat, Repeat, Repeat until you are comfortable that the bezel and radio are in place and secured

THIS is all again is predicated on my experience and what I had to do to make my system all fit. Your experience may be different. Cut at your own risk lol

[/IMG]

Last edited by Danny7627; 04 Dec 2017 at 09:18 am.
Old 04 Dec 2017, 04:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

So using my cordless sawzall with a 12 inch blade might be a tad too much? If I go too far there is always the handy duct tape...... if the women don't find ya handsome they will find you handy. LOL..... thanks. YEP SLOW as it goes. As I used to tell my young fabricators you cannot Measure with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, or it with an axe.
Old 18 Jan 2018, 04:52 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hot diggedy dam, got the Pioneer avh-390 installed. Used the PAC-CHY4 interface wiring can-bus and connected per their guidance and IT WORKS ! !. Even the back up camera was a single plug in, gets power from one wire. Now to program stuff like the phone and read the book on what is what on that radio. radio was a gift from the kids and daughter really likes how it looks and the features. Tweaked the mounting a bit so the face is just over flush to the center stack bezel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg convert radio install.jpg (96.8 KB, 25 views)

2002 PT 4 door Inferno Red
2008 PT Convertible Bright Silver