PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2008 Can Bus Radio - Aftermarket

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2017, 05:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default 2008 Can Bus Radio - Aftermarket

Want to install a double dinn aftermarket radio with cd and USB. What problems will I encounter with the can-bus system. Looking for a touch screen at least a 6.2 inch screen. Recommendations for Crutchfield? Lastly, my factory radio is a 6 disc in dash with an amplifier under the drivers driver's seat, Boston Accoustics.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 01:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2008 Can Bus Radio - Aftermarket

You can find complete replacement dash panels with a pre-cut double-DIN opening. When I upgrade from a single-DIN I will be replacing my entire dash panel with one of these.

Crutchfield is always a great place to go for information, but when I contacted them they couldn't tell me anything about the car WITH amp vs. NO AMP. I had to do my own research.

You have extra work compared to me...like deciding what to do with the amp (retain or bypass).

Are you looking for a deck recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My02RedRide View Post
Want to install a double dinn aftermarket radio with cd and USB. What problems will I encounter with the can-bus system. Looking for a touch screen at least a 6.2 inch screen. Recommendations for Crutchfield? Lastly, my factory radio is a 6 disc in dash with an amplifier under the drivers driver's seat, Boston Accoustics.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 01:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I got my modded dash plate for 1st Gen PT from:
http://www.doubledmods.com/

Check them out for 2nd gen as well.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 03:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Depending on what unit you get, you may have to completely remove the center dash shelf that the current stereo sits on, or you may just have to trim it a little.

A lot of the CANbus wiring kits make the new unit plug-n-play.

I would like a double din unit, but am concerned about the full weight of the stereo just hanging off screws in the replacement bezel.

You can see in this installation where the screw holding the stereo bracket to the bezel has caused a dimple visible on the front near the lower right corner of the stereo.

Handy_Cruiser likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 14 Nov 2017, 04:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's the bezel.

https://www.amazon.com/Chrysler-Navi...din+pt+cruiser

Here' the CANbus adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/AXXESS-XSVI-6...70_&dpSrc=srch

This is what is needed for my 2007 PT Vert. You need to assure these will work for your 2nd Gen Vert. That is the PT we are talking about, right?

I own that double DIN bezel and considered a double DIN stereo for my PT. I installed one in my 2006 Charger Daytona and love it. However, I like to leave the top down and didn't want to be concerned with the stereo "walking away". So in the end, I decided to just add an aux input with bluetooth to the factory stereo. Actually, it the factory stereo out my Daytona but similar. And since I get everything on my phone that I can get on the high-dollar double DIN stereo, I can enjoy the same music without the worry of theft. It's something to consider with our verts.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 14 Nov 2017 at 04:47 pm.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 06:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkster View Post
You can find complete replacement dash panels with a pre-cut double-DIN opening. When I upgrade from a single-DIN I will be replacing my entire dash panel with one of these.

Crutchfield is always a great place to go for information, but when I contacted them they couldn't tell me anything about the car WITH amp vs. NO AMP. I had to do my own research.

You have extra work compared to me...like deciding what to do with the amp (retain or bypass).

Are you looking for a deck recommendation?
Looking at the Pioneer AVH-X390BS double din. I have NO problem doing some fab work as I did that for 20+ years at the tech center. I'm mechanical but the wiring thing kinda spooks me. I need an interface PAC C2R-CHRY4 to retain the factory Boston Acoustics amp.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 06:42 pm
Regular Cruiser

Smile Re: 2008 Can Bus Radio - Aftermarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Here's the bezel.

https://www.amazon.com/Chrysler-Navi...din+pt+cruiser

Here' the CANbus adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/AXXESS-XSVI-6...70_&dpSrc=srch

This is what is needed for my 2007 PT Vert. You need to assure these will work for your 2nd Gen Vert. That is the PT we are talking about, right?

I own that double DIN bezel and considered a double DIN stereo for my PT. I installed one in my 2006 Charger Daytona and love it. However, I like to leave the top down and didn't want to be concerned with the stereo "walking away". So in the end, I decided to just add an aux input with bluetooth to the factory stereo. Actually, it the factory stereo out my Daytona but similar. And since I get everything on my phone that I can get on the high-dollar double DIN stereo, I can enjoy the same music without the worry of theft. It's something to consider with our verts.
Yep, mine is the 2008 convert with the 6 disc indash with the Boston Acoustics 300 watt amp under the seat. As for security looking to install a break your eardrums siren under the pass seat spliced into the factory alarm. I also look at security this way... who and I repeat WHO would think of ripping off a PT when there are other cars out there with high end factory stuff.... just saying
Old 15 Nov 2017, 06:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Depending on what unit you get, you may have to completely remove the center dash shelf that the current stereo sits on, or you may just have to trim it a little.

A lot of the CANbus wiring kits make the new unit plug-n-play.

I would like a double din unit, but am concerned about the full weight of the stereo just hanging off screws in the replacement bezel.

You can see in this installation where the screw holding the stereo bracket to the bezel has caused a dimple visible on the front near the lower right corner of the stereo.

Man, that's what I WANT.... clean and factory look. The dimple.... how the heck did that happen? Too long of a screw in that corner?
Old 15 Nov 2017, 09:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Man, that's what I WANT.... clean and factory look. The dimple.... how the heck did that happen? Too long of a screw in that corner?
That pic has appeared from several sources, but I was reading the install thread at one time and he stated how the "dimple" happened, it was either too long of a screw or he tightened it too much, can't recall now exactly which. But I guess there is really not much of a mounting lug on the bezel and it has to hold the entire weight of the stereo.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
150k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old Yesterday, 12:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Looking at the Pioneer AVH-X390BS double din. I have NO problem doing some fab work as I did that for 20+ years at the tech center. I'm mechanical but the wiring thing kinda spooks me. I need an interface PAC C2R-CHRY4 to retain the factory Boston Acoustics amp.
The wiring isn't difficult especially if you buy the harness that plugs into the factory harness. I just did mine and it only took about 30 minutes. The most time consuming part is splicing the stereo wires to the adapter harness.