Largest speaker possible for dash?

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By UnitD77
  • 1 Post By smarq17
  • 2 Post By KalebSikora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Dec 2017, 11:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Largest speaker possible for dash?

I have a 04 base model and have upgraded all stereo components except the dash speakers.... I'm running 4 6.5" Rockford Fosgate punch 2 way speakers. Pushing them is the Sony MEX-XB100BT. The head unit is amazing and my mid-range sounded amazing until I added the subwoofer. I'm not saying that my mids aren't good enough it's just that I got used to real clear mid to high frequency tones. I have a pair of 4" fosgate punch 2 way speakers out of a previous car. Has anyone fit anything larger then a 3.5" in the dash. I'm very handy so the ability to perform the task is there. I'm sure I could figure it out by tearing the dash apart and trying but I'd rather know for sure that the 4" can fit. I'll buy something else if not. Thank you in advance
Old 10 Dec 2017, 11:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Largest speaker possible for dash?

Just reading your first response I can tell ya that you are in the elite group true Audiophiles and should properly go to one of the car stereo forums? I would guess there is only a small handful of members that really are into building a medium to upper end stereo system in a PT Cruiser.

Don't take it wrong we do have a couple guys that did some nice upgrades but I can remember off the top of my head who they are.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Dec 2017, 06:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Rocketman was one of them. Xwing777 also had a nice professional setup.
Old 11 Dec 2017, 07:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm running a very similar setup to you, same headunit (sounds awesome), and Rockford fosgates speakers (tho mine are just factory size replacements). As for the tweeters in the dash, i wouldn't go with larger speakers, you'll ruin the highs, and those are powered through a crossover with your front door speakers, so you'll run the risk of not gaining anything anyways. I'd stick to stock sizes, but upgrade from the paper cones the factory had.

Size =/= volume, Size is for sound quality, smaller being better for highs, and larger for lows.
If you want mids, your regular door speakers are what you need to look at. Make sure your sub is connected through the dedicated sub out's on the headunit.
Handy_Cruiser and JonN like this.

04' GT Manual Purple PT Mileage: 95k (Died Spring 2018)
05' N/A Automatic Red PT Mileage:121k (Died summer 2017)
Old 26 Dec 2017, 01:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

In my '03 Limited, I have 6.5 Crunch component mid-woofers in the door. They fit with no extra work at all once you buy the adapters.

Instead of using the included component 1" tweeters, which would have required an adapter to install in the dash location, I decided to buy some 3.5" Crunch 2-way coaxial speakers. All due to me not wanting to do any cutting in the door panel for the component tweeters and also, I was simply unable to find any adapters to install the component tweeters in the dash location. I also used the included component crossover to run the 3.5" as de-facto tweeters. So this was actually, for me at least, the easier way to upgrade.

The dash installation was a bit tricky though, since I needed to widen the speaker opening by shaving some plastic to make the 3.5" speakers fit correctly. A dremel does this easy enough but the plastic shavings are a pain to clean out from behind and inside the dash. Once I shaved enough, they drop in smoothly and I can even use the OE screw holes too.

The only noticeable (not very though) is the dash cover is slightly raised in the area over the speakers due to the coaxial tweeters. Not a big deal since apparently I'm the only that has noticed that "bump". I was considering going back and widening the space just a little more to make the installation more flush, but decided against it due to it being such a minor imperfection.

BTW, I did this installation over a year ago and am still seeing plastic shavings whenever I take out my floormats to clean. So beware.

Everything can be found and bought on eBay (of course right?), except the 3.5" coaxials which for some reason are rare and over-priced there. I bought those online at Sonic Electronix.

The sound was an amazing difference from stock and the highs off the windshield are noticeably apparent. I was thinking of using a similar setup for the rear speakers since there I have 5x7" Crunch 2-ways running straight forward and still have the extra pair of tweeters. So far I'm happy with those speakers as is so not fiddling with them - for now.

Anyways, that's my experience with front dash speakers. I'm sure you will, if not already, figure out your own setup.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 06 Jan 2018, 02:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

In case anyone cares ...found these on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CRUNCH-CS35...cAAOSwNchaAn8F
Old 06 Jan 2018, 12:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I just want to say..its not the size that counts but the quality of sound or matched component capacity.

The name brand of a speaker does not mean it is better or best for any specific application.

These are my 3.5" speaker choices for a current sound system project.20180106_085945edit.jpg

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 16 Feb 2018, 02:07 am
Young Cruiser

I believe 3.5" is probably the maximum size without dash modification. I actually have installed the JL Audio C2-350x with 600hz bass blockers and run them in a parallel configuration to my front door speakers (JL Audio C2-650x).

You want to ensure your gains aren't too high and set correctly otherwise these speakers can sound very bright and ear piercing. Like Smarq, I too have noticed a slight raise in my dashboard. But it is nothing too noticeable.

With the way I wired my speakers, both speakers actually end up at 2 ohms, which apparently according to Crutchfield, doubles the frequencies blocked by the bass blockers so that they block up to 1200hz on my tweeters. Never heard them distort!
Old 16 Feb 2018, 11:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalebSikora View Post
You want to ensure your gains aren't too high and set correctly otherwise these speakers can sound very bright and ear piercing.
Covered!

20180216_081634edit.jpg

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Tags
dash speakers