Advice on stereo

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By rckstein
  • 3 Post By bonabob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2018, 11:04 am
Young Cruiser

Default Advice on stereo

I need to find an Android LCD stereo for my 07 pt cruiser.

The reason I need this is because right now I'm using my phone to sync up Torque Pro to my OBD II adapter to monitor guages (long story).

Since I leave the adapter in 24/7 it makes sense I put something in that has the O/S already that can sync via bluetooth instead of using my cell phone.

I don't care much about features other than knowing it must be able to run Torque Pro. Don't really care about CD players. I could just connect my phone or an SD card etc for muic. I rarely listen to audio anyway.

My only other hope would be that it would have an AT&T compatible SIM slot so I could get a cheap cell service for Google Maps navigation.

Anyone got an idea? I first thought maybe I could just put any head unit in, but i'm not sure about sizing.
Old 07 Jan 2018, 11:38 am
Banned

Default Re: Advice on stereo

To get a stereo with a screen, you can get a double din unit, but you may have to slightly modify the mounting area and will have to get a different center bezel so that the unit will fit:

Or with this kind of an adaptor kit you can keep the stock center bezel and get a single din unit with a flip out screen that would have all the features, and more, that you wanted:

I was very seriously considering the flip out screen model, however, I was concerned about when the screen was flipped up that it would be blocking the center a/c vents and window controls. So to get to those you would have to flip down the screen, even temporarily.

But that's some choices.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 07 Jan 2018, 11:42 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
To get a stereo with a screen, you can get a double din unit, but you may have to slightly modify the mounting area and will have to get a different center bezel so that the unit will fit:

Or with this kind of an adaptor kit you can keep the stock center bezel and get a single din unit with a flip out screen that would have all the features, and more, that you wanted:

I was very seriously considering the flip out screen model, however, I was concerned about when the screen was flipped up that it would be blocking the center a/c vents and window controls. So to get to those you would have to flip down the screen, even temporarily.

But that's some choices.
That's exactly what I'm hoping for. It's been 35+ years since I even talked about car stereos so i'm a newbie again.

But i see what you're saying. I don't want the flip out screen, i want one like you show in yours (is that what 'double din' means?).

Can you tell me what stereo that is? i'd like to look at some prices, but you have pretty much exactly what I want. Not to mention our Cruisers are the same color

FYI i'm not sure yours is an android? can you install apps from the Play Store on that?
Old 07 Jan 2018, 12:13 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by story97 View Post
That's exactly what I'm hoping for. It's been 35+ years since I even talked about car stereos so i'm a newbie again.

But i see what you're saying. I don't want the flip out screen, i want one like you show in yours (is that what 'double din' means?).

Can you tell me what stereo that is? i'd like to look at some prices, but you have pretty much exactly what I want. Not to mention our Cruisers are the same color

FYI i'm not sure yours is an android? can you install apps from the Play Store on that?
The first photo is not of my PT, but just a pic I found on Google. I still have the stock RAQ 6-disc MP3 unit in my PT. I have installed an AUX and bluetooth adaptor to be able to use my phone over the stock stereo. While not as convenient, it will do what I need it to.

I have no idea what model it is, but if you go the double din size, there are a lot of stereo choices. With some, you might have to slightly modify or maybe even completely remove the center shelf that the stock stereo currently sits on for the double din to fit. There are also wiring kits that make the installation of a new unit much easier especially with the CANbus wiring in the Gen2.

Great vehicle color choice
Old 15 Feb 2018, 12:39 am
Young Cruiser

Any update on this? Want to have an Andriod stereo also in my PT.
Old 21 Mar 2018, 11:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Are you ready for this....I installed a 10.1" screen. It is incredible. I changed the center Bezel for a double din. I did have to trim it out a little and then open the area behind the radio a little to fit. It is a pumpkin unit that has android 7.1 with built in gps. I use stand alone gps apps like navigon and igo but also use google maps and waze when I connect to my galaxy 8 plus by making it a wifi hot spot. I can also say ok google and utilize that function. I also have a couple of digital speedometers that make a wonderful experience. It also mirrors your android phone if you want so you don't have to use wifi hot spot data and can also get internet via usb cable from your phone to the unit.The screen looks fantastic. Yes it is big which makes it even more fun to use. I first put this in our motor home and our pt cruiser is our dingy. My wife thought I was crazy when I said I was going to put the same unit in the cruiser, but even she agrees how great it looks and how much fun it is to use. I'll insert the Amazon link.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1