Advertisements
ISO cheap sound dampening

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SpaceMouse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Apr 2018, 04:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default ISO cheap sound dampening

Long story short: the entire rear half of my car shakes when my subs kick in. It just sounds terrible. I'm looking for a good brand or website to buy some sound dampening from. I don't have a big budget so price is important.
I love my car and Cruiser culture.
Old 07 Apr 2018, 03:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: ISO cheap sound dampening

I restored a '68 Mustang Fastback some years ago. While I had the doors apart and the window regulators out, I noticed the splattered, tar-like "soundproofing" was peeling off. I knocked the loose stuff off with a putty knife, and went looking for something that would take its place.

Ended up using "Great Stuff" expanding foam- the stuff that comes in an oversized spray can with a straw on the nozzle. Just squirted the stuff on the inside of the outer door sheet metal (about an inch thick bead of the stuff- don't forget that it expands) and once the panel was mostly covered where I wanted the stuff, laid sheets of waxed paper over top of it, pressing the foam into place and spreading it out farther and making sure it wasn't too thick. Once the foam dries, the waxed paper peels right off.

The result was a car that was MUCH quieter inside. Added bonus- the doors no longer closed with a tinny "clank" of the sheet metal ringing- they sounded like something on a high-end luxury car.

One can of this stuff goes a long way. You've got to be careful to not get any where you don't want it (it's tremendously sticky and impossible to remove). But if you applied this stuff to the inside of the various interior panels and such, it might do the trick. Just make sure to not create clearance problems with any underlying sheet metal or other structure.
Old 07 Apr 2018, 03:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have used spray in bed liner
Old 07 Apr 2018, 06:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMouse View Post
I restored a '68 Mustang Fastback some years ago. .......

the doors no longer closed with a tinny "clank" of the sheet metal ringing- they sounded like something on a high-end luxury car.
i love that tinny "clank", it's a sound specific to the car. even in my '92, that sound makes me smile as i realize i'm getting into something kinda special