PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
1st-Gen retrofit radio with fold-out, flip-out screen?

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By rockandroller
  • 4 Post By rckstein
  • 4 Post By aelfwyne
  • 1 Post By aelfwyne
  • 1 Post By Spaz
  • 1 Post By Espresso

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2018, 01:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Question 1st-Gen retrofit radio with fold-out, flip-out screen?

Does such a thing exist?

My Radio appears to be dead now, so unless a cable just worked its way loose from the back, I might soon be replacing my 4-year-old Chinese WinCE Radio/DVD/GPS unit.

( this one... )

One thing I would like to improve on is the tiny 4.3 inch screen. So far I can see that there are tons of Double-DIN units around, but I don't really want to do a double-DIN conversion.

All I have found that fits the original space is an Android 6 unit with a 5 inch screen. Marginally better, though its really just a radio/GPS, as it omits the disc player. I can probably live without the disc player though, I'm fine with radio/GPS/backup camera viewer and a usb stick reader.

BUT... It would be way cool if I could find one with a big flip-up screen.
The original unit location is a little low for visibility to begin with - would be nice to be able to glance at the radio or GPS without looking down quite so much...

Anybody out there got any leads for me? I am aware there are double-DIN and single-DIN units, but I would prefer a retrofit! I guess single-DIN with some kind of nice bezel would be worth a look, too. But I really want something that plugs into the stock harness and uses the stock speakers!!!
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 06:14 am
Banned

Default Re: 1st-Gen retrofit radio with fold-out, flip-out screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
Does such a thing exist?

My Radio appears to be dead now, so unless a cable just worked its way loose from the back, I might soon be replacing my 4-year-old Chinese WinCE Radio/DVD/GPS unit.

( this one... )

One thing I would like to improve on is the tiny 4.3 inch screen. So far I can see that there are tons of Double-DIN units around, but I don't really want to do a double-DIN conversion.

All I have found that fits the original space is an Android 6 unit with a 5 inch screen. Marginally better, though its really just a radio/GPS, as it omits the disc player. I can probably live without the disc player though, I'm fine with radio/GPS/backup camera viewer and a usb stick reader.

BUT... It would be way cool if I could find one with a big flip-up screen.
The original unit location is a little low for visibility to begin with - would be nice to be able to glance at the radio or GPS without looking down quite so much...

Anybody out there got any leads for me? I am aware there are double-DIN and single-DIN units, but I would prefer a retrofit! I guess single-DIN with some kind of nice bezel would be worth a look, too. But I really want something that plugs into the stock harness and uses the stock speakers!!!
Here's a couple in a Gen1:

I know they make a flip up for the Gen2 as I've looked at them. Lots of features without doing the double din mod as it fits the stock opening and uses the stock center bezel.

One draw back that I noticed was that when the screen was out and displayed, it blocked the center a/c vents and the window switches.

In the Gen1, it would just block the HVAC controls.

You don't always need the screen flipped up just to use the stereo, but anything else and it could be an annoyance with those things blocked.

Last edited by rckstein; 28 Apr 2018 at 06:20 am.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 09:49 am
Young Cruiser

I find the Joying single-din 7" screen style perfect myself.

Looks like this:

This is the one I ordered:

https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-be...gital-amp.html

They do have a couple with larger screens, but the larger screens would potentially cover either the lower controls or the HVAC controls. Height is adjustable, I raised mine a little bit closer to the HVAC vents after the photo was taken.

I prefer this because, well, I had a flip-out from another car I was saving to use, and when I got the PT I installed it... and the first time it opened, the gears jammed and it would never open all the way again... Never trusted the motorized display, and then it failed on me, no way I would trust another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-01-10 19.48.45.jpg (91.3 KB, 122 views)
#1: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth in Rosso RED (MAD FIAT)
#2: 2003 PT Cruiser GT in Boring Beige
Old 03 May 2018, 11:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Question Re: 1st-Gen retrofit radio with fold-out, flip-out screen?

Was the joy-ing "plug and play" or did you have to do some harness surgery?
CruiserMike likes this.
Old 03 May 2018, 09:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
Was the joy-ing "plug and play" or did you have to do some harness surgery?
I used universal harness kit. Make sure to get 03 as later year models are different.

Took the harness stub from the Joying, wired it to the universal harness kit, and plugged it in. No modifications needed to the PT itself.

There are typically no aftermarket kits that are 100% plug-n-play. There are some of the Chinese kits you can get that are model-specific that would be, however the software on those tends to be pretty bad. I've had about 4 or 5 different android units between the PT and the MAD FIAT... The Joying is the most painless of them all that I've had.
rockandroller likes this.
#1: 2015 Fiat 500 Abarth in Rosso RED (MAD FIAT)
#2: 2003 PT Cruiser GT in Boring Beige
Old 04 May 2018, 12:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Do you need a screen? The price on 1-DIN radios has really dropped, some nice quality ones for ~ $100 or $120 (I've been shopping around for a new 1-DIN radio for my '09 Mazda 5).
Old 30 May 2018, 09:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Just get a single din kit from Metro or Spectra and a single din flip out. You can get a Soundstream flip out on Amazon for $110. Total cost is less than $150.
Old 31 May 2018, 06:39 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelfwyne View Post
I find the Joying single-din 7" screen style perfect myself.

Looks like this:

This is the one I ordered:

https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-be...gital-amp.html

They do have a couple with larger screens, but the larger screens would potentially cover either the lower controls or the HVAC controls. Height is adjustable, I raised mine a little bit closer to the HVAC vents after the photo was taken.

I prefer this because, well, I had a flip-out from another car I was saving to use, and when I got the PT I installed it... and the first time it opened, the gears jammed and it would never open all the way again... Never trusted the motorized display, and then it failed on me, no way I would trust another.
ive never seen anything like this before.. very interesting indeed.. i kinda want one..
Old 17 Jun 2018, 01:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Talking Re: 1st-Gen retrofit radio with fold-out, flip-out screen?

Well, well, well well, WELL...

I left my car at the airport for a week while I flew to NYC. When I came back, the car started fine, but the next day I got a P0300 pending error on the UltraGauge.

I went to pull the battery cables to reset the pending code, and I noticed they were heavily "fluffed up" with powdery corrosion.

Removed the cable, cleaned thoroughly with wire brush, grounded out the harness ( to reset codes) and then tightened everything down again.

Started up the car and WOW - the radio was working again. I am speculating that it somehow had "locked up" its internal computer, and just needed a 'hard reset, full power down' to reboot again. No more pending code anymore, too.

MORAL OF THE STORY: KEEP THOSE BATTERY CONNECTORS CLEAN AND TIGHT!
rckstein likes this.

Tags
camera, gps, radio, stereo