2003 GT Radio Gremlins

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By chuzz
  • 1 Post By cfm56doc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2018, 02:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default 2003 GT Radio Gremlins

I have a 2003 GT with a factory am/fm/cd played that has started acting up. While going down the road, the radio will completely quit working like it loses power (nothing playing and display goes blank). Here is the weird part. The radio lights that come on when you turn on the headlights all come on. So I am left with a radio that does not play, but courtesy lights on radio work.

I was thinking possibly a bad ground, but the randomness of this fault is no way associated with bumps in the road and I can be going down a smooth road and it will quit or come back on.

Personally I think its the head unit, but plan to run a dedicated hot and ground to the head unit and see if it is a power issue or not. If once I run the dedicated power and ground and if it continues, it points to the head unit.

Jiggling the ignition switch does nothing and everything else in the car works perfectly.

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this type of issue?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 11 Nov 2018, 04:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 GT Radio Gremlins

It may be the head unit or the wiring. There's at least four different power leads running to those stereos. One is ignition, two have constant power and one is for the dash lights. Here's a diagram:

Old 11 Nov 2018, 04:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

Handy Cruiser, thank you for the diagram and info. I will go cheapest first, wait and see how that goes before I replace the head unit (I feel it's the head unit though).
Old 12 Nov 2018, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My 03 GT did the same thing. I pulled the plastic from around the steering wheel and put a zip tie around the connector where the wires from the radio come into the harness there. Cinched it as tight as it would go and never had the problem again. I don't know if it'll work for yours or not, but it's a simple 15 minute job. IIRC, there's a pink wire that runs from the radio to that harness. Maybe Todds diagram will show that. I can't read schematics anymore after having had two brain surgeries. They short circuited me!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 09:57 am
Regular Cruiser

Chuzz, thanks for the reply. When this first started I went to that connector on the side of the ignition switch and when unplugged it duplicates my problems. With that I decided to try your route of a zip tie before I start running dedicated wires. I will drive it this way for a while and see what happens.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by cfm56doc; 12 Nov 2018 at 12:14 pm.
Old 13 Nov 2018, 08:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Good luck with it. I'm over in Lake Wales. About 60-65 miles from Tampa. I no longer have my GT due to economic difficulties. I sure wish I did. I can't haul diddly in this frigging Kia.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.