Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New CD Player;Power But No Power?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Mar 2019, 04:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default New CD Player;Power But No Power?

So I got a new CD player and this mounting kit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wired up the harness to the harness that came with the CD player (yes I did this correctly, I'm an Electronics Fabrication Technician at a major government R&D lab). When I pulled the OEM CD player I was a bit alarmed to see that there are TWO connectors on the back end; the installation kit came with only one connector, and it matched the larger of the two sockets on the back of the OEM unit. "Okay", I tried to convince myself, "the second connector is just for the CANBUS system or something, it'll be okay".
It isn't.
The new CD player won't power up. What's bizarre, however, is that if you hit the eject button you can hear the CD mechanism spin up, and if you insert a CD, the unit will swallow it (but won't spin up, to say nothing of playing it). Hitting the eject button has the unit spitting the CD out as one would expect. So the mechanicals have power, it seems, but the electronics appear to be dead as a doornail- no lights, no sound, no indication that anything at all is happening.
So... is there a handy pinout of the two connectors that connect to the back of the unit, or an aftermarket wiring harness that includes BOTH connectors (if that's what's necessary)?
Thanks!

Last edited by SpaceMouse; 30 Mar 2019 at 04:02 pm.
Old 30 Mar 2019, 06:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: New CD Player;Power But No Power?

Never mind. I think I've got this figured out. The second harness connector isn't necessary, but a switched power source is. And the way the radio is wired into the CANBUS system, it's, well, non-standard. I could pull the center console and tap into the switched power source for the cigarette lighter (and possibly still have problems with the system recognizing the radio), or drop $60 for an adapter harness from Crutchfield.
I'm doing the latter.
Whee.