PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
OEM sub clarification please

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jul 2020, 03:53 pm
Young Cruiser

Question OEM sub clarification please

The last junkyard exporation day scored myself an OEM PT subwoofer. Of course, the foam surround is completely destroyed and will be receiving a new woofer in the next couple days, but I pulled out the sub+enclosure, and the harness that goes all the way to the factory head unit (head unit was in the back seat, so I didn't think about comparing the plug locations or harness differences).
But since I have the sub and harness, I figured I'd splice it into the wife's base 07, but while researching for diagrams and such, I keep seeing people say that it's plug & play....
Weird... So, do all the OEM stereos have a terminal to plug this little noisemaker into? Was there a Y harness at the plug in? Or an I still going to have to stab everything with a multimeter and figure out what wires to splice into?
With other current PT projects, parts on order, and stupid hot weather that I can't work in, her PT will be down a couple more weeks, but I haven't had a chance to yank the head unit out yet to check for myself...
But the way my luck has been going on this project, I'm trying to get any early heads-up that I can....
69 Barracuda 440 8bbl
plus a long list of vehicular toys
Old 02 Jul 2020, 10:38 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: OEM sub clarification please

A couple hours later and, wow! I dug up an instruction sheet... Question answered...I think. Guess I'll find it when I get to installing it.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
69 Barracuda 440 8bbl
Old 03 Jul 2020, 01:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: OEM sub clarification please

In my '01 the harness plugged right into the back of the factory radio if I recall correctly. Defiantly no cutting or splicing needed, except for the power wire. The instructions say to connect it to the lighter socket power wire that is hot all the time. I would connect it to a keyed power source instead... I had issues with the battery draining down because I didn't drive the car everyday, so I added a switch to turn the sub on/off as needed.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 08 Jul 2020, 02:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Ah, good thought, and I know the cigarette lighter circuit is pretty sketchy always. If they burn up so much with just what's on the circuit... Then why would I ever think about running an amp through it. Lol
I'm sure I can find an nice clean assessory spot to run it to since she has almost no options on hers.
69 Barracuda 440 8bbl
Old 12 Jul 2020, 07:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Wellll.... nope nope nope
I got the dash torn apart, and the radio pulled out ready to plug&play the OEM sub... Then I go to match up the connectors to make sure everythings good to continue...
Nope, the connectors are not even close to matching and it doesnt help that ALL the wiring diagrams I dig up DO NOT match the color code on her wires... Now wtf to do. grrr

ugh... guess this is my next issue

***EDIT****
Of course, if there's a 1 year incompatibility... I'll trip over it.
Apparently the black connector is 2001 only issue, the rest should have the gray connector she has. Ugh
Sub connections-black+07 radio connector-gray
69 Barracuda 440 8bbl

Last edited by kudah440; 13 Jul 2020 at 02:41 pm.
Old 15 Jul 2020, 03:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Some input would definitely be appreciated since I REALLY dont want to offend the magic CANbus overlord...
but heres what I think I have figured out

The old 01 harness here

doesnt exactly match what I think should match.

I figure that one harness is supposed to connect 3 of the speakers (the 4th would theoretically go on a second similar plug)

Sooo...basically omit the ftont speaker connections...

buuuut...I think I should just to this connector but change the speakers to just be the rear speakers. in theory it would lower the resistance closer to the expected 2ohm load, that I just theoretically changed by replacing the speakers with regular 4ohm door speakers (I've also replaced all the speakers while im playing with this project)

this even if my guessulations are correct on my pinout...
69 Barracuda 440 8bbl
Old 15 Jul 2020, 05:44 pm
Young Cruiser

ok, heres the aggrevation...

if this is the pinout on the sub, then why do all the speaker designations come out as backwards at the other end where it should connect to the radio.... positive=negative or wrong speaker location or just grrr nothing matches except the rem, power and grounds...
69 Barracuda 440 8bbl
Old 16 Jul 2020, 03:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

I am not sure if this will help you, but it may. It is used to allow newer radios to be installed in the 2001 and older cars. Perhaps you could make it work for your sub.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391881603409
kudah440 likes this.
Old 16 Jul 2020, 04:56 pm
Young Cruiser

OH! Thanks for the feedback Sir Myckeee, it was starting to feel awfully lonely around here.(Oh and the 03GT is still running great. )

I guess if I had started with that harness instead, I would be heading a different direction, but what I started with it the OEM sub harness from the 01. it has the old connectors of an 01, so i got an 01 pigtail... figured I would simply splice into the 07s 22pin bundle....

but if I trust this pinout

then the sub harness would look like this

but Scoche, metra, and tons web research says this is how the black connector should look... grrr my weird problems

So...Im just trying to figure out who to believe. lol
69 Barracuda 440 8bbl
Old 17 Jul 2020, 01:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

If you go here and look on the official mopar site for 2001, the wiring is inversed to what you have shown:

Mopar Connection Repair Kit