Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Sound and Security Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
after market speakers cut in and out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 May 2022, 01:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Angry after market speakers cut in and out

I have silver 2003 Touring bought to replace totaled black 2001 limited(I really liked that car). I replaced fuzzy front door speakers with Polk Audio DB6?, which Crutchfield said would work with factory head unit. They came with mounting adapter ring and wiring harness adapter. Haynes manual and online videos made installation easy.

Speakers worked great for a while before driver side cut out. Fiddling with volume knob would sometimes get them to come on but eventually stopped working. Removed door, checked spade connections(they seemed fine), reassembled door and it has worked fine ever since.

A few days ago I noticed the passenger door speaker not working. Fiddled with knobs(power, volume, l/r, fader) to no avail. Pulled that door. One of the connecters on speaker was loose, so crimped it a bit and reattached wire snugly. Reassembled door and speaker worked fine for about 10 minutes, then cut out again.Couple of days later got in car for chinese take out run and both front speakers working great until I got to the restaurant about 15 minutes later, when the passenger door speaker crapped out again. If I adjust the stereo controls to only that one speaker, I can hear very faint, thin "ghost" sound coming out. This is most annoying. Speakers themselves seem to be fine. Any thoughts? I read the first 20 pages of related threads and gave up.