PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Southeast PT Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Oil light on HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jan 2008, 09:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil light on HELP!

I went to test drive a 2004 PT cruiser today and it have 30K miles on it. When I got in the car and crunk it up the oil light was on. When I turned it off and turned it back on the oil light went off. While driving the car it drove perfect, but I'm worried about this oil light. What could this be? Should I not purchase this car for this reason?
Old 24 Jan 2008, 11:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA
Default Re: Oil light on HELP!

when you open the hood look for a yellow dip stick that says oil.pull it out and check to see if it's low. also your future oil changes would require you to use synthetic oil. our turbo is oil cooled and conventional oil can't withstand the temperatures.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 04:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If oil light went out when you restarted, that's good. For it to be on briefly when starting isn't a kiss of death. I agree with Taggert about synthetic.
If you do get the car, and the light is an issue, you can go 10W40 oil and I'll vet you'll be fine.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Jan 2008, 04:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. I don't know if I'll buy it because I'm afraid of it now. If I happen to change my mind I will definitely by the extended warranty. I can get a 5yr for 1600.00.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 06:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Please read some of the other threads with the same problem. It looks like it's the oil sending unit.

Intermittent oil warning light pt2
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 27 Jan 2008, 06:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your advice. I will not be buying that particular one but I will definitely get one.
Old 26 Feb 2008, 06:51 am
Regular Cruiser

It's 95% chance it's the oil sender unit like Crewzin said. It's a cheap part (20 to 40 bucks) so have the dealer replace it BEFORE you sign anything and see if it does it again. If it checks out to be fine with no problems and your happy with it, play the game with the dealer, act all scared to buy it. The dealer might drop his price to get rid of it because dealers are hurting to make deals.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 09:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for responding. I didn't even buy that one but I did get me one and I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I want to make it look good but it'll take a second.