Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Southeast PT Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 pt cruiser overheating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jun 2010, 04:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 pt cruiser overheating

Bad news. Don't even attempt to do the timing belt and water pump yourselves if you've never done anything like that before. It's a very tricky/complicated procedure even for an experienced mechanic.

Personally, I can see your frustration but I've never heard of the timing belt causing the overheating problem. I haven't looked over all the older posts on the thread but overheating while your moving is basically telling you (1) the air isn't getting through the radiator/condenser, (2) the coolant isn't flowing around the engine properly when the engine needs it the most (moving), (3) the head gasket or head itself has a crack.

Have a compression check to rule out the last one. Make sure there's no air in the coolant system that would stop the coolant flowing around. Verify the water pump is flowing the coolant around.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Cruiser Of The Month (COTM) May, 2015.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 11:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks cruizin. actually he said the water pump was problem but replace the belt at same time. its just strange that it never overheats moving unless the ac is on. head is supposedly ok according to them they checked that. i think i will start with radiator then go to other. we will take your suggestion on mechanic for water pump and belt. reading posts seems like you can replace alot and still have problems.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 11:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcop811 View Post
reading posts seems like you can replace alot and still have problems.
It's just that an overheating problem could be caused by a number of different things but only one (most likely) is the real cause. The problem is narrowing it down to the real culprit.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
I find it ironic that the colors red, white, and blue stand for freedom until they are flashing behind you.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 10:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey everyone,

I just signed up for this forum because I'm having a similar, but slightly different problem. I was going to start my own thread, but there are enough similar threads that I didn't want to add to the search clutter.

Here is the description that I submitted to 2CarPros earlier today:

"2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 87087 miles

So I've had intermittent overheating issues for about 3 months now. It started when the car started to get hot while driving on the highway. I was able to keep the temperature at about the 3/4 mark on the gauge by giving it gas while waiting at stop lights and while cruising. If in neutral or a gear in which I didn't have to give it gas, the temperature would start to rise again. When I got to the auto parts store, the employee helped me figure out that the radiator cap was not holding pressure and we replaced that. I worked the air bubbles out of the system and eventually got the car to cool down properly to drive the 20 freeway miles to get home. I had no further issues after that. As a matter of fact, it would occasionally run lower than the normal temperature, then come back up to the 1/2 mark while driving on the freeway, causing me to think that it might just need a radiator flush if some particulate was clogging the system then breaking loose again.

About a month ago the check engine light came on and the temperature alarm came on as I started the car up first thing in the morning (cold start). I turned the engine off for about a minute and when I started it again the alarm didn't come on, but the engine light was on. I took the car to a small shop where they checked and cleared the code, which was due to the engine temperature alarm.

About two weeks ago, I made the same 20 mile drive that started all of this and the car started to getting hot just as I was getting off of the freeway. I was able to get the last couple miles to get to my destination by using the "give-it-some-gas" method I described earlier. I let the car cool off for about two hours, then drove half way home on surface streets watching the temperature the entire way with the gauge staying at the 1/2 mark the entire way. About 4 hours later I drove the remaining 10-15 miles on the freeway with no issues.

I live in Phoenix, so we had a 110 degree day last week and while driving on surface streets in stop and go traffic the car once again started to get hot. I got to a populated shopping center with the temperature at the 3/4 mark on the gauge again. I called a local repair shop for a price quote on the thermostat. Researching them on Google, they have been in business for about 35 years and received nothing but positive reviews from the people that had rated them. About 4 hours later I drove the 5 miles to get home with the temperature at the 1/2 way point. I took the car in the next morning and they replaced the thermostat for me.

While testing the repair the mechanic stated that he couldn't drive 2 miles from a cold start without the temperature skyrocketing up to above the 3/4 mark on the gauge. I paid for the repair, picked up my car, and verified his assessment. He stated that he thought that there may be a problem with the head or the gasket causing gases to escape in to the cooling system. He performed a dye test of the coolant, but it didn't react as though there were any gases in the system though. Checking the oil, there is no sign of coolant on the dipstick or the oil cap.

Once I got home I turned on the heater and couldn't really determine if the air coming out was ambient temperature or being warmed by the engine (it WAS 110 degrees outside). I also tried to see if there was horizontal fluid flow across the the radiator, but couldn't see anything moving when pressing on the gas. I decided to have them replace the water pump, belt, and tensioners as a gamble over the head/gasket, but the problem persists after that repair.

Currently the car will sit idle with the A/C off for about 20 minutes, start to heat up to normal operating temperature during that time, then start to heat up EXTREMELY quickly to the point of being over the 3/4 mark within 5 minutes of reaching the 1/2 mark. This process happens even more quickly while driving or with the A/C on.

A few last bits of information:
The mechanic used a temperature gun to pick up about 175 degrees on the upper hose and 145 degrees (approximate numbers) on the lower hose. The upper hose feels fully pressurized and too hot to touch as it gets about the 1/2 way mark on the temperature gauge. The fan comes on with the AC and it seems to be the high speed fan. I can't tell if the low speed fan comes on because I'm not certain what I'm checking for... I tried reseating both of the relays (I replaced a bunch of parts on a '91 Saturn that just needed the relay box seated and grounded properly a few years ago *grin*) The original coolant was orange/red, but the current mixture is green and shows no signs of rust in it. The replaced thermostat had a ton of corrosion products built up on it, but the replaced pump didn't show any real signs of wear or corrosion.

Because I'm over $700 in to attempted repairs and currently unemployed and running out of money to spend on this, any advice or assistance in figuring out the exact cause would be GREATLY appreciated.

P.S. I apologize for the length of the question... I just wanted to be sure to give as much background information as I could.
"

I hope this helps someone else and maybe gives one of you a jumping off point to help me resolve my problem.

Frederick
Old 08 Aug 2010, 04:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well have any of you had any more luck since the last posts? I was wondering what your progress has been.

I have an '02 that was fine until I flushed out rusty, nasty, old coolant to start this overheating problem.

1. I replaced bad thermostat (boiled new one beside the old one, new one opens, old one didn't).
2. I Put in new fan motor, because the low speed was burned out. This made it go much further without overheating. Yet still overheats esp with A/C.
3. I lowered coolant level enough to see that when thermostat opens, I can for sure see flow coming through thermostat and towards the radiator.

It seems to have a hard film of brown on the old thermostat and the bottom of radiator cap.

Next steps are what? Have a radiator shop check for combustion gasses in coolant, or rod out radiator, or ???

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08 Aug 2010, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Steve, welcome to the Forum!!! Did you have the coolant flushed or did you just drain it out. I would suggest having it power flushed.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 08 Aug 2010, 06:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

...and make sure you get all the air out of the system. The bleed valve is right under the radiator cap.
Old 09 Aug 2010, 01:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys.
First I had drained it then I flushed it multiple times with clean clear tap water all the while cycling it long enough to open the thermostat and let the mud flow. I have since decided that may have caused the problem. I believe I flushed alot of the residue loose from the block, head, etc. and it stopped up the radiator.

I have today backflushed the radiator with high water flow and compressed air (similar to what radiator shop does in the rinse tank) and removed enough of the debri from what I'd like to call the HOAT Effect to let the radiator flow. That seems to have fixed the problem. Let it idle today for long periods of time with the A/C on and ran up and down highway stopping here and there with more idling and the temp stayed right in the middle.

I know you guys like the HOAT and please dont be offended but it seems to me to be the only thing that I've encountered worse than DEXCOOL. Maybe I'm disillusioned, sorry.

Thank you,
Steve
Old 09 Aug 2010, 05:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The HOAT is what is recommended by Chrysler but we've heard from owners that other brands should be OK with the core of the radiator. It's when people mix different types of coolant or just whatever is on sale that bad things happen and they don't happen right away so they tend to believe everything is OK. Then months/years later when the insides of the radiator rust/fall apart, they find out they used the wrong stuff.
Old 09 Aug 2010, 11:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

I was interested to know if you ever got the overheating problem resolved.